Vengeance + CoH vs Blasphemy, advice appreciated

"
Drasius_Rift wrote:
"
sutasafaia wrote:

Enfeeble - Blasphemy - Hatred - ? What do put here?

Leap Slam - Faster Attacks - Increased Duration - Blood Rage

Immortal Call - CwdT - Increased Duration - Molten Shell

I would someday like to have Kaoms chest, but for now that does leave me with 4+ more sockets to work with. What to use them for? Keep using Vengeance maybe? I have Warchief for extra fun but that will be going away eventually. Dunno, not sure. Any ideas? I'm at a loss.

I didn't list my cyclone setup since that changes around a lot as I experiment. Very, very unsure about Ruthless...I hear it's great but it feels so lousy to play with.

Thank you so much for the help so far.

Enfeeble-Blasphemy-Hatred-[Whatever]
Leap Slam-Faster Attacks-Fortify-Warchief
CWDT-Immortal Call-Inc Duration-Blood Rage

This way you can ditch 1 of the inc duration gems and get fortify off your leap slam as well as having a warchief who also has faster attacks and fortify. You're not missing anything from ditching molten shell since it doesn't do anything at the low levels you want to be running CWDT at can support.

You should be able to get away without using enlighten in blasphemy/hatred set-up with even moderage damage and minimal mana leech, but if not, well, jam and enlighten in there and go to town. If you wanted to keep molten shell and level it up to 20 so you might actually get some minor benefit out of it, then stick it in the 4th slot unsupported. Another solid option is a Vaal skill, something like Vaal Haste or Vaal Grace or even Vaal Lightning Trap since even with the nerf, 20% more damage is still quite a bit.

Grace is an option if you run brutality since then you can't run hatred. I'm not sure why you feel that Ruthless isn't doing the job for you, it's been working brilliantly for my melee guys (including a cycloner).

It isn't so much that ruthless doesn't do the job, it just feels crappy to play with to me. Maybe I'll give it another go now that I'm farther along, it felt bad while I was lower level.

I've actually been using cwdt + gems at a fairly high level, is there some reason to drop it down?

Fortify...just needs to stay in my Cyclone setup. It has to. I constantly forget to do a leap every 3-4 seconds if I take it out of my cyclone. Yea, I know it will hurt my dps a bit, but that ones on me. I simply lose track of it too easily.

I was looking at Cyclone - Maim - Physical Damage - Brutality (once I get the gear to support it) - Fortify - Concentrated Effect. I could try sticking ruthless in there in place of brutality for the time being to give it another try maybe. This is of course assuming I ever get more than 4L on my weapon since I tossed all my fusings that I could have sold for chaos to just buy the 5 link...live and learn =/
Last edited by sutasafaia on Sep 21, 2017, 5:41:42 PM
"
sutasafaia wrote:

It isn't so much that ruthless doesn't do the job, it just feels crappy to play with to me. Maybe I'll give it another go now that I'm farther along, it felt bad while I was lower level.

I've actually been using cwdt + gems at a fairly high level, is there some reason to drop it down?

Fortify...just needs to stay in my Cyclone setup. It has to. I constantly forget to do a leap every 3-4 seconds if I take it out of my cyclone. Yea, I know it will hurt my dps a bit, but that ones on me. I simply lose track of it too easily.

I was looking at Cyclone - Maim - Physical Damage - Brutality (once I get the gear to support it) - Fortify - Concentrated Effect. I could try sticking ruthless in there in place of brutality for the time being to give it another try maybe. This is of course assuming I ever get more than 4L on my weapon since I tossed all my fusings that I could have sold for chaos to just buy the 5 link...live and learn =/

If it's doing the job, then why does it feel crappy?

CWDT requires more and more damage to be, well, taken before it triggers the higher you level it. At lvl 1, it triggers on pretty much any hit in higher level content while if you level it to 20, then your life will be half gone before it fires off the linked gems. General rule of thumb is CWDT lvl 1, Immortal Call lvl 3 and Inc Duration as high as your str will allow since it doesn't rely on being under the CWDT level threshold.

Brutality is such a big more multiplier, I wouldn't suggest replacing it unless you're also running hatred (and probably even herald of ash as well).

Do you use Path of Building at all? It's a very handy tool to let you play around with gem links and see what sort of changes to expect when switching out gems for alternate setups.
"
Drasius_Rift wrote:
"
sutasafaia wrote:

If it's doing the job, then why does it feel crappy?

CWDT requires more and more damage to be, well, taken before it triggers the higher you level it. At lvl 1, it triggers on pretty much any hit in higher level content while if you level it to 20, then your life will be half gone before it fires off the linked gems. General rule of thumb is CWDT lvl 1, Immortal Call lvl 3 and Inc Duration as high as your str will allow since it doesn't rely on being under the CWDT level threshold.

Brutality is such a big more multiplier, I wouldn't suggest replacing it unless you're also running hatred (and probably even herald of ash as well).

Do you use Path of Building at all? It's a very handy tool to let you play around with gem links and see what sort of changes to expect when switching out gems for alternate setups.

The whole 1-1-2 pattern of using it, it doesn't feel fun to use I guess? I'll certainly mess with it again to see how I feel now that I'm higher level. It does stun though...although I also like maim. Not sure. My preference for keeping fortify in my cyclone links limits me a little but I really do prefer it there.

I was under the impression using cwdt 1 was actually a detriment because it went off so often you could die between internal cooldowns or something like that? I can't remember where I read it, just that I remember reading having it higher level tended to prevent 1-shots while having it lower level prevented more consistent damage but you could be killed by 1-shots easier (they were referring to porcupine explosions happening in rapid fire as you cycloned through them). Were they wrong? I can easily drop the gem levels again if needed.

I was thinking about pulling brutality out until I (someday) get a starforge, for that whole physical thing. I only have a 4-link right now anyway =/ I have to have cyclone - fortify - physical damage - X. Maybe try to roll a blue socket and get concentrated effect in there for now.

I am seriously considering changing my passives to this: https://pastebin.com/W9URrA0N Although that's the final build. I would love some advice there in case my pathing is terrible. Anyway, it would mean I would take Hatred + blashemy + enfeeble (or vuln I suppose). Or possibly hatred + HoA? But I really like having a defensive "aura"...maybe? Unsure here.

Yea, I do use PoB, but I just started using it about...an hour ago. Still learning it :P
Last edited by sutasafaia on Sep 21, 2017, 8:28:11 PM
CWDT + Firestorm + Curse on Hit + Curse is better than both if you have a 4L.
studying for GGG's C++ technical exam...
"
sutasafaia wrote:
The whole 1-1-2 pattern of using it, it doesn't feel fun to use I guess? I'll certainly mess with it again to see how I feel now that I'm higher level. It does stun though...although I also like maim. Not sure. My preference for keeping fortify in my cyclone links limits me a little but I really do prefer it there.

I was under the impression using cwdt 1 was actually a detriment because it went off so often you could die between internal cooldowns or something like that? I can't remember where I read it, just that I remember reading having it higher level tended to prevent 1-shots while having it lower level prevented more consistent damage but you could be killed by 1-shots easier (they were referring to porcupine explosions happening in rapid fire as you cycloned through them). Were they wrong? I can easily drop the gem levels again if needed.

I was thinking about pulling brutality out until I (someday) get a starforge, for that whole physical thing. I only have a 4-link right now anyway =/ I have to have cyclone - fortify - physical damage - X. Maybe try to roll a blue socket and get concentrated effect in there for now.

I am seriously considering changing my passives to this: https://pastebin.com/W9URrA0N Although that's the final build. I would love some advice there in case my pathing is terrible. Anyway, it would mean I would take Hatred + blashemy + enfeeble (or vuln I suppose). Or possibly hatred + HoA? But I really like having a defensive "aura"...maybe? Unsure here.

Yea, I do use PoB, but I just started using it about...an hour ago. Still learning it :P

Meh, just think of it as another more multiplier and forget that it only works every third cyclone. Trash shouldn't need it and bosses won't care about the stun unless you're already doing silly high damage anyway.

You tree should generally aim for a more realistic endpoint, somewhere around 90'ish +/- a couple of levels so you have a better idea of realistic life and damage output. As for what to drop, I'd suggest the socket/armour cluster above Resolute Technique, the socket/melee phys cluster down near Haematophagy, the Int Nodes, Spirit Void and the preceeding mana leech node (0.4% mana leech should be plenty), Path of the Warrior and the Lust for Carnage cluster and Str nodes leading to it. With remaining points, grab the 6% life node next to devotion and then fill out the remaining 5% life nodes in the Scion wheel and bloodless cluster, then if you've still got points left, grab the 4/5% nodes on the way to the Marauder starting spot. I'd probably also switch up the regen node for the % life node in the marauder area, but that's more personal preference.

Gem links are easily sorted with PoB since you can just import your current gear (or plug in your planned gear) and it'll automatically suggest the highest damage options

As for CWDT level, it depends a bit on how much life you have and if you're using endurance charges to up the duration (since that's the benefit of leveling IC is the improved duration bonus from charges). I've found I prefer it to cast more often and more reliably, but if you want to have it go off less often but have a stronger trigger link, hey, whatever works mate, there's cases to be made for both. To be pedantic though, neither will prevent a 1 shot since neither of them trigger until after you've taken the damage. A lower level gem does have an advantage in defending against high burst damage though, since you need to take >3k damage for a level 20 CWDT to trigger, meaning that if you take a, say, 2.5k hit, then your gem won't have triggered and now you're more suceptible to a follow-up KO since they only need to do 4'ish k to drop you while a lvl 1 triggers at ~500 damage, meaning you've still got most of your life pool left. Other way around for sustained damage though, so take your pick as to which you prefer defending against.
Welp, made a bunch of changes you suggested, here is new setup: https://pastebin.com/bWBZRa5w

My dps (even with my bad gear) went up about 20k. Mana is going to take some getting used to again, I really dislike having to use mana, but my health didn't drop too badly with the other nodes to replace the blood magic tree.

I experimented with the various buffs/curses, ended up with blasphemy + vuln + hatred. I have no idea what to put in that fourth slot honestly, I had an enhance laying around and forgot it made them more expensive so that's out.

Adjusted my passive tree around a bit, will see how it grows later. Was Lust for Carnage a bad power? Or just too far out of the way? Seems like more more more leech would be better for slayer?
"
sutasafaia wrote:
"
Drasius_Rift wrote:
"
sutasafaia wrote:

I agree, Fortify is a very nice buff. I'm at a standstill between Fortify and Ruthless on my Cycloner. Ruthless is overall more damage. Also with bleeding, and I use Chance to Bleed for flat phys damage, which has left me to consider Crimson Dance as well (should apply 8 bleed stacks pretty fast).

Have you considered the Rampart clause? Will boost your defense/offense while you have fortify (which is always).
"
sutasafaia wrote:
Welp, made a bunch of changes you suggested, here is new setup: https://pastebin.com/bWBZRa5w

My dps (even with my bad gear) went up about 20k. Mana is going to take some getting used to again, I really dislike having to use mana, but my health didn't drop too badly with the other nodes to replace the blood magic tree.

I experimented with the various buffs/curses, ended up with blasphemy + vuln + hatred. I have no idea what to put in that fourth slot honestly, I had an enhance laying around and forgot it made them more expensive so that's out.

Adjusted my passive tree around a bit, will see how it grows later. Was Lust for Carnage a bad power? Or just too far out of the way? Seems like more more more leech would be better for slayer?

You should already be hitting the leech cap with ease and 5 points for ~60 more life leeched per second from the increased leech rate just isn't worth it. Haematophagy and Vitality void both increase your leech cap though and you get your mana leech from the dual leech node leading to Vitality Void so they're both decent picks (you get ~400 leech per second from the 3 haematophagy points and ~250 leech per second from the 2 vitality void points after the dual leech node).

Having a quick look at your gear, you could definately trade your belt for a rare with +life and a bit of fire/light resists and get a pretty big bump in life. That 0.2% leech really isn't doing much for you compared to the 120+ flat life you're missing from a good leather belt. Since you can hit overcap with only mid tier fire resist and a crafted light resist roll, it shouldn't even be too expensive either.

You could save 2 points by losing some gem levels on your int gems and dropping the int node and the str node leading to it. Might be worth it, might not. Obviously your next point would be to grab that socket near the scion life cluster and then for your last few points it's your choice between damage or a bit more life.

As for your 4th gem slot, maybe Herald of Ash or a purity for hexproof maps so you don't have to stuff about with gem swaps? I'd strongly consider a Vaal Skill though, both Haste and Grace have their merits.

"
FAMO wrote:
Have you considered the Rampart clause? Will boost your defense/offense while you have fortify (which is always).

Rampart really isn't that great unless you're really going overboard with armour stacking. 4 points for ~3% PDR and 35% increased damage isn't setting the world on fire. More often than not you're better off getting more %life nodes. There are worse choice however.
I do plan to replace my belt in the near future actually, now that my resists are getting so high for once.

For the time being, I'll be keeping the +30 int nodes, but maybe I can swap some gear around to get higher int and make it not needed. Now that I'm freeing up the need for some of these resist rolls I can focus on other stuff a bit more.

Ash is a good idea, I added that :P

So far my only real complaint about the changes is I absolutely despise mana. "My spirit is spent" is getting really tiring to hear when I miss my cyclone and have to use a mana pot, but I obviously can't put blood magic in my cyclone setup since I already lose dps having fortify in it (and I need to leave it in there or it will never be up).

Not entirely convinced by the warchief either honestly, but I can't think of anything better to do with that slot anyway, and it's basically free dps as long as the boss doesn't eat it.
"
Drasius_Rift wrote:
Rampart really isn't that great unless you're really going overboard with armour stacking. 4 points for ~3% PDR and 35% increased damage isn't setting the world on fire. More often than not you're better off getting more %life nodes. There are worse choice however.

Fort does not grant %PDR, but Reduced Damage Taken from Hits; 's why it works against Elemental/Chaos as well. %PDR is the equivalent of Resistances but for Physical Damage, meaning it's a separate step before Damage Taken modifiers :) This makes Rampart mostly interesting if you have various sources of Reduced Damage Taken instead, as opposed to %PDR/Armour.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info