[3.0] 10k+ ES Crit Bladevortex Inquisitor 1.6M+ DPS (Theorycrafting)

Ok, so to begin with, I have never shared a build before. Please be gentle with me.

Also, before I get started with everything. Main reason I'm posting here is because I need help theorycrafting. I think I have a good base, but I'm pretty sure there are a lot of obvious things that I've missed.

As a disclaimer. As people have pointed out.
The stats shown are what would be possible in best case scenario, and obviously getting the best rares for any build will make it expensive. The purpose was to make something that was attainable for anyone. That said, the build works just fine without having GG items. Currently as I'm writing this, I'm lvl 76 and clearing T13 maps with ease. I have about 15 chaos invested so far.

The idea behind the build is an extremely tanky Inquisitor that utilizes both Zealot's oath for ES regen, and leech as survival mechanics, while at the same time maintaining a high dps output.
I want it to be as cheap as possible. There are no required expensive items, aside from the rare items where optimization will always be expensive no matter what build you use.

Key aspects of the build:
10k+ ES
2.5k+ ES regen/s
2.5k+ ES leech/s
1.65M+ DPS
Chaos Inoculation

Path of building Stats

Must-have items

The energy shield regen from this chest is one of the main defenses in the build. It is one of the things that allows us to get 2k+ es regen per second.
(You can easily push that number a lot higher, but that means sacrificing other aspects of the build)

With 1 hp, you get stunned a lot. There are other options to circumvent that problem, but this is the cheapest one.

Gear / BiS

Before going continuing on the gear, I'd like to point out that there are a lot of things to consider as possible alternatives. The ones I've mentioned are simply the ones that I've been getting from the top of my head.
Also, I've been mainly focusing on items that is obtainable for everyone. The build is meant to be cheap.

Gloves

Possibly BiS for DPS, but you sacrifice a lot of ES for it.

With a good pair of ES gloves, we can get 1.4k+ more ES, and a 300+ more ES regen/s.
It's really a question wether or not we prefer the dps or if we need the safety. Perhaps our resists are bad, and we need a pair of gloves with resist.

Belt

+ Life leech
+ Resists
+ Damage

+ Energy shield
+ Damage
- No resists
- No leech

Jewelry

Ring 1:

If you don't want to get stunned all the time, this is somewhat a must have.
The option would be to go with Skyforth, but that would make the build really expensive.

Ring 2: (Mods come in order of importance)
Crit chance
Energy shield
Intelligence
Resists
Cast speed

Amulet:
Crit chance
Crit multiplier
Energy shield
Spell damage
Resists

When it comes to jewelry, I guess it's a lot about preference aswell. Some may prefer sacrificing Crit for more ES, and obviously the resists may be more important depending on how other gear looks. I considered putting life regen in there aswell, but it really doesn't make that much difference to be honest.

Helm

Rare ES helm:
As high ES as you can get
Resists
Stats

And most importantly, a +40% bladevortex dmg enchant.

Weapons

Main hand:
Ok so here's an interesting part of the build. We have a lot of room to play with.
My initial thought would be to go with an Ephemeral edge for the high energy shield it would grant us. Downside to this would be that we have no damage on our weapon. Also, it turns out, it doesn't really give us THAT much ES anyway.

So our best options would probably be:
- A dagger with high crit and spell damage
- A wand with high crit and spell damage

The difference between the two is really not that big. You can get more spelldmg from a wand, but more crit from a dagger. Personally I love using whirling blades as movement, so a dagger is the natural choice for me. But I think a wand can net you higher dps.

Offhand:
High ES shield with spell damage and crit.

There is also the option to go for another dagger/wand and get more dps, but the amount of ES and regen you lose on that is way too much to justify that change.

Boots

Rare boots with high ES, stats, and resists.

You can also go for skyforth, but obviously that's out of reach for most people, and not really necessary for the build to work anyway, so..

Also, get the "Regenerate 2% of Life and Mana per second if you were Hit Recently" mod from labs.

Flasks

Overflowing Chalice (cheap)
Atziri's promise (cheap)
Taste of hate (this one is expensive though)

These 3 flasks alone net us roughly 500k dps when activated.
2 more slots for flasks of choice. Haven't decided on what those should be yet.

Jewels

Spell damage
Physical damage
Crit multiplier
Energy shield
Area damage
Crit chance

etc..

Path of building import

Ascendancy

There are many reasons why Inquisitor is the best alternative for this build.
The 6% life and mana regen is the biggest one. That node gives us roughly 1k ES regen when we are on consecrated ground. And whenever we need regen, odds are that we are on consecrated ground from being hit. Also, when we're on consecrated ground, we get +40% damage. That's pretty neat.
Secondly, the spell damage and cast speed from instruments of virtue is a really nice damage boost. This is also one reason why I would prefer going with a dagger over a wand, so we can get the +25% cast speed by using whirling blades. Otherwise we miss out on it.
And Righteous Providence is just so good for any crit build. We don't really have much use of Inevitable Judgement, since the majority of our damage is physical anyway.

Skill gems

Blade Vortex
5L: Efficacy - Spell Echo - Added fire - Controlled Destruction/Increased critical damage
6L: Concentrated effect / Increased Area of Effect

Auras
3L: Hatred - Discipline - Enlighten

Movement
Whirling blades - Increased Attack Speed - Fortify

CWDT Setup
Cast When Damage Taken - Immortal Call - Increased Duration - Summon Lightning Golem

Curse
Assassin's Mark.

I haven't quite worked out the details on this one yet. I need to generate power charges somehow, but I don't know if I should have it on a CoC setup with ball lightning or something similiar, or if I should have it on another CWDT setup, or if I should just self-cast it.
Blasphemy is out of the question. We don't have mana for it, and we can't remove hatred/discipline, because they are really good.

Skyforth?
Romira's?
Essence of horror on our weapon?

Ideas are welcome. (needed)

I think that's all I have so far.
Please help me improve it!

Don't panic.
Last edited by Fiver on Aug 19, 2017, 9:41:32 AM
Last bumped on Aug 31, 2017, 9:27:11 AM
I think if you can somehow manage 2k+ES regen without that chest you swap in Incandescent Heart for the free 25% Ele Damage mitigation.

Last edited by Gref on Aug 17, 2017, 11:24:14 AM
"
Gref wrote:
I think if you can somehow manage 2k+ES regen without that chest you swap in Incandescent Heart for the free 25% Ele Damage mitigation.

That might be a nice idea. 25% mitigation sure is a nice defense.

Without the shawl, we lose 1k Regen/s and roughly 500 Leech/s.
Also, we will lose roughly 1k ES.

That still puts us at
9.5k ES
1.7k Regen
1.4k leech

I'm not sure which is more beneficial, since I've never used incandescent heart really.

Don't panic.
Last edited by Fiver on Aug 17, 2017, 11:45:54 AM
After editing the passive tree and adding flasks, the DPS is now at 1.65 million. (Previously at 1M)
As a result, the ES leech is now up to 2.8k/s. (Previously at 2k)

Path of building link, and passive tree, have both been updated in the post.

Don't panic.
Last edited by Fiver on Aug 17, 2017, 5:50:53 PM
why efficacy over ele focus?
"
ArkamHatchet wrote:
why efficacy over ele focus?

I really just considered efficacy the better option, as we aren't doing much elemental damage. Spell dmg and spell duration is just awesome.

But after playing around some in PoB, I realize we can get about 1 million higher dps by going

BV - elemental focus - added fire damage - controlled destruction - physical to lightning - conc effect / IAE

That would remove spell echo however, and idk how that will affect our ability to stay maxed up on blades. We only get 4.24 casts per second, and our skill duration is at 7.25s. That gives us less than 3 seconds on 20 blades, before having to recast. But even with spell echo instead of physical to lightning, we get 200k extra dps or so.

With the original setup we get 7.2 casts per second, at a skill duration of 8.05s. we can max up on blades in less than 3 seconds, and stay maxed for roughly 5 seconds before needing to recast.

I have a really hard time deciding which option I like better.

Don't panic.
Last edited by Fiver on Aug 18, 2017, 7:30:06 AM
I went through the PoB and fixed all the items from being super insane to attainable items in Harbinger and shaved some points off to bring the level required down to 85. Still lot's of room for improvement but here's what I came out with...

6.7k~ ES
1775~ ES Regen
840~ ES Leech

415k~ DPS with no flasks activated and no quality gems on a 5 link of...

BV - Conc Effect - Increased Crit Dmg - Controlled Destruction - Spell Echo

52.5~ Crit Chance
85~ Effective Crit Chance

I think I want to give this build a shot this weekend.

How would you consider leveling? It seems like it would be a pain to level.
Last edited by toitus on Aug 18, 2017, 2:19:59 PM
"
toitus wrote:
I went through the PoB and fixed all the items from being super insane to attainable items in Harbinger and shaved some points off to bring the level required down to 85. Still lot's of room for improvement but here's what I came out with...

6.7k~ ES
1775~ ES Regen
840~ ES Leech

415k~ DPS with no flasks activated and no quality gems on a 5 link of...

BV - Conc Effect - Increased Crit Dmg - Controlled Destruction - Spell Echo

52.5~ Crit Chance
85~ Effective Crit Chance

I think I want to give this build a shot this weekend.

How would you consider leveling? It seems like it would be a pain to level.

Well, we spoke in game, but I figure I'll respond here aswell, if others should have the same question.
Switching in to BV too early sucks big time. I started using it around lvl 60, and that went really well. Same for Chaos Inoculation. Never switch to CI until you have at least 4.5k ES imo.

I'm surprised that you don't get higher ES regen than that. I'm currently at lvl 69 with 5k ES and I have roughly 1k on consecrated ground. And that is without using the Beast fur Shawl, which is where half of our ES regen will come from later on. (I'm currently using a carcass jack with 180 ES, just because I haven't got a better alternative until I manage to 5L/6L my beast fur shawl)
I honestly have really really bad items atm. I think I've invested about 5C for the current gear I'm using.

But if you find that the regen turns out too low there are nodes along the tree where you can get more though. Just means a little less damage.

I guess I'll find out soon enough whether or not the regen will be high enough. :D

as for leveling
I leveled with a pair of Facebreakers, a meginords girdle, and some other flat physical dmg items. This is pretty much my setup whenever I make a new character, no matter what class/build I'm doing.

Gem setup:
Infernal blow - ancestral warchief - Melee splash - melee physical - added fire - faster attacks

Shield charge - melee physical - added fire - faster attacks

Usually you never need to stop to use Infernal blow and Ancestral Warchief. Shield charge takes care of most packs, but when you use IB, everything dies in one hit.
That being said, it can get rough once you get to level 55+. We aren't getting many HP nodes, so we aren't exactly tanky.

These are the items I used:

The shield is really nice, specially later on. Not having to worry about missing a bunch of hits, is really nice. Specially when you're using a tabula rasa, because you are gonna be squishy.

Don't panic.
Last edited by Fiver on Aug 18, 2017, 3:13:07 PM
All your rare items expensive than skyforth.
GG build.
Ign: Staroftheend
"cheap"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info