Having problems adjusting to One-hit kill Bosses

Just came back to POE after 2 year hiatus and I'm getting pretty frustrated with dying to tier 3 bosses that instagib me with non-telegraphed, mystery abilities.

I've only done a handful of maps, but the bosses that have been wrecking me are Litinius, Black prayer (who does this non-telegraphed nova ability that drops my Cyclone, Juggernaut from 3.8k to 0 instantly. The dying part doesn't bother me near as much as the fact I'm not learning anything in the process. Nor does it appear that a Cyclone build could avoid it.

The only way that I have found to kill such enemies is to do short drive-by's with Cyclone, praying on luck alone that he doesn't do his Nova ability, as I slowly chisel away at him- dying many times in the process.

I understand the importance of resists, but I just simply can't get enough from Gear/Passives. The best I could manage was 73% Lightning 70% Cold 10% Fire and 2% Chaos. Also it doesn't help that there is usually no way of telling what damage the boss will throw at you, unless it's an obvious visual illustration.

I even tried google researching these bosses to find out what type of damage I was sustaining, but I couldn't find anything. I've also taken to bringing along several different Belts, Rings, Amulets with varying resists, but even then it doesn't stop me from dying.

Since I am unable to face-off against even low-tier bosses with Melee tactics, I've resorted to the idea of including something like Spectral-Throw into my build. At least that way I can use my Melee character as a Ranged combatant.
Unfortunately, this won't address the fact that I still have to die in Melee to realize I'm up against a One-shot boss.

Would that be the best course of action ? Or should I simply respec and put everything into health ?
Last bumped on Aug 19, 2017, 10:38:25 PM
You're dying to the big ol' AOE because you're cycloning inside of him, eating every projectile.

And there IS a telegraph before he does it. Just actually stay away from him for a second and watch and you'll notice what it looks like.

Are you utilizing crafting benches for your gear? 10% fire resis is abysmal. It's pretty easy to get resis capped right after you reach lvl 65 or so for the endgame. Use your currency to re roll your gear, and craft mods on it.
Well, capped resists is pretty much mandatory for atlas progression, sounds like you just need some gear upgrades. If you are SSF just use essences, alchs and bindings on whatever gear slots are your weakest and try to get those resists & life up. If you're not playing SSF then look for cheap gear with life & res on poe.trade. Then start working on getting more life from the passive tree as you level. What is your sustain? Leech? Regen? You need to invest some there as well. If you want more specific advice, show your character profile.
Insta-leech facetanks is a (old)new meta. Get more (More, MOOOOREE!) health, get Vaal Pact, find a way to leech, have a fun. Or not..
Last edited by bSun0000 on Aug 13, 2017, 9:58:31 AM
"
Bleu42 wrote:
You're dying to the big ol' AOE because you're cycloning inside of him, eating every projectile.

And there IS a telegraph before he does it. Just actually stay away from him for a second and watch and you'll notice what it looks like.

Are you utilizing crafting benches for your gear? 10% fire resis is abysmal. It's pretty easy to get resis capped right after you reach lvl 65 or so for the endgame. Use your currency to re roll your gear, and craft mods on it.

I tested this and died two meters away from him. Even one projectile is enough to instagib me. I also kited him and watched for telegraph, which I could not see.

"

Well, capped resists is pretty much mandatory for atlas progression, sounds like you just need some gear upgrades. If you are SSF just use essences, alchs and bindings on whatever gear slots are your weakest and try to get those resists & life up. If you're not playing SSF then look for cheap gear with life & res on poe.trade. Then start working on getting more life from the passive tree as you level. What is your sustain? Leech? Regen? You need to invest some there as well. If you want more specific advice, show your character profile.

Sadly I don't have any currency since I gave it away when I went on hiatus. But yeah I think you're right. If I can't learn what damage bosses do, I might as well go crazy with all resists and let my DPS suffer.

Guess I just need to tough it out and farm till I can afford or find some better gear.

Regards showing my character, how do I do that ? Cheers!
"
Glorgmakk wrote:

Regards showing my character, how do I do that ? Cheers!

Profile -> Privacy Settings -> Hide Characters tab (uncheck)
IIRC it's Elemental, a mix of Cold/light I think and, again IIRC, it's related to how many curses you have on him. Turn your blasphemy off and have another go, though I might be confusing him with someone else...
well max your resists

also 3.8k life is very low for a melee guy
I dont see any any key!
So I checked online, apparently this is a tier 4 map boss. Once you start mapping it is a given that you must cap your resists. That is really easy to do, once you learn to use poe.trade

My suggestion would be to trade your chroms, alts, fusings, chisels and all that to chaos, and then start trading.

In general for 1chaos you can get items with 2 resists 30%+ each and some HP. Thise are the two main things you need to worry about.

If your build requires any unique items, fill those slots first and then look to max your resists with remaining items. Look for boots, gloves, helmets, shields and body armours first. After that if you still can't max on resists, do that with rings and amulets. Chaos resist is very unnecessary. Don't focus on it for now.

When searching poe.trade, select the item base (like gloves for example), then choose max price 2chaos (not absolutely necessary because you can just list items by price), and add mods you want. For example add 'added maximum life' and select minimum value 50. Then add mod 'pseudo added maximum resists' and use minimu 60 or even 80. You will find 99+ items like that for 1c.

With 10c or so you can dress up your whole character and then move from there. General rule is you can get 3 mods for 1c items, for 4mods you're looking at around 10c and so on. And you can upgrade slowly as you go along.

And last point, you want to have at least 4.5k hp I think. Especially if you're melee.

Hope that helps :) ask if you have any more questions mate.
Reality is an illusion, Exile.
Okay, I just realized my account wasn't linked. This is the OP and my character should be visible now I think.

I'm in the middle of sorting out some gems in my headpiece/Weapon so I can test Spectral throw a bit.

"
Drasius_Rift wrote:
IIRC it's Elemental, a mix of Cold/light I think and, again IIRC, it's related to how many curses you have on him. Turn your blasphemy off and have another go, though I might be confusing him with someone else...

Oh right. How did you learn such intricate details about him ? Is there some kind of database that reveals this information ?

I'm Left of Right and far Right of Left.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info