Ignite Proliferation

Post your feedback for this support here.

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a support.
Please email support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance!

Last edited by Jess_GGG on Aug 6, 2017, 9:21:30 PM
Last bumped on Sep 11, 2018, 2:33:50 AM
I don't understand?
why should we need this gem since we already have elemental proliferation support gem?
"
Redmyclan wrote:
I don't understand?
why should we need this gem since we already have elemental proliferation support gem?

It's 60% larger, which is a stupendously big difference.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 12, 2017, 11:53:39 AM
I'm a lvl 59 chieftain, using shock wave totem atm. So I tried ignite proliferation with Bear trap and 26% increased AOE from passives and the radius is TINY. Take a pack of 20 mobs and hit them in the center and only like 4 of them burn... Which makes me wonder, why would I use this gem anyways? If I had an aoe skill I would likely benefit more from using a damage support than proliferate (since pure ignite builds don't do as much damage as before). Which feels counter intuitive because ignite proliferate only really seems to have enough radius with an aoe skill like flameblast, which I find chance to ignite to be much better, since everything will be ignited anyways and 29% more fire damage works on both initial hit and still gives higher ignite damage than prolif as well. So yeah, no reason to use ignite proliferation.

I think the best use case would have been to make a single target/small radius fire skill "AOE" with ignite but that seems to not work at all. Would it really be too strong if it had more radius now that ignite isn't broken like before? I would say the radius should be doubled or more.
Last edited by Ardziv on Aug 27, 2017, 1:59:00 PM
Radius should be increased significantly and remove the more damage.

Worst part is it is not even more damage with ignite, nor is it more burn damage, it is just more fire damage. What the fuck, why?
"
biyte wrote:
Worst part is it is not even more damage with ignite, nor is it more burn damage, it is just more fire damage. What the fuck, why?

Fire Damage applies to the Hit and to the Ignite, and is thus de-facto better than Ignite/Burn Damage? :p
"
biyte wrote:

Fire Damage applies to the Hit and to the Ignite, and is thus de-facto better than Ignite/Burn Damage anyways? :p
Yeah but one of point of pure dots, especially after 3.0 without double dip reason to scale the hit, is that it is basically reflect resistant. The gem purpose is to proliferate ignites, why does it make the hit stronger. It's nice the burn is stronger too, but there are so many damage supports now there is no reason for it.

The tree only has two clusters of burning damage for a total of 170% increased burning damage, (and celestial punishment for total 200%) which does a lot more for rf/scorching ray that it does for ignite as well, and the rest of pure DoT nodes still have subpar values so ignite is basically forced to scale fire damage. So you're left with a mediocre dot and a half assed initial hit. For items its like wear dual pyres cause the burning damage number is completely ridiculous. Yet it's still just burning damage, not damage with ignites. Searing touch has a similar case.

It is a bit better with melee weapons though in terms of the passive tree.

Especially noticeable while leveling a character, the dot:hit ratio is completely terrible even when using flameblast - deadly ailments - burning damage - chance ignite/ignite prolif support. Even with deadly ailments, the hit does more damage than the ignite in most cases.

Spells is also a huge bunch of "whys". Why is 110% more spell damage per flameblast stack, and only 55% more ailment damage? similarly blade vortex's poison. 20% more instead of 30% more. In reality it is basically 8% less damage over time per stage, following the old convention (from perspective of double dip).

The same applies to chance to ignite gem, why was more fire damage just slapped on everything. It would have been better to move that damage to the other support gems, and keep these as utility support gems.

rather now if you invest in ignite chance on gear, tree, etc. to hit 100%, you aren't rewarded at all in damage for not using chance to ignite, as at best you use a support gem that has like 30%more damage instead of 19%.

DoT's in 3.0 are like: here's 8 support gems, get yourself a 7 link and pick the 5 with the highest damage numbers on them and somehow get a 6th support through gear if there is one like dendrobate...

From looking at the support gem side of things, there's no incentive to try dot traps, dot totems, etc. because all the links are set in stone. There is no longer creative use. Before since totems, traps, have duration, you can use rapid decay to scale the dot even though it didn`t double dip.
Now Its just generic damage after damage after damage, and in the end it's still pretty mediocre, and your initial hit is still scaled as you're force to grab generic elemental damage, fire damage, etc.

Basically the only other tool available is jewels, which can now roll like 20% burning damage.

So pure ignite seems to be pretty shafted, it's more of an mini add-on for any regular hit build where you can maybe get a free 10-20% more dps.

Anything that could scale ignites aside from support gems, you could just use scorching ray or righteous fire. They are not lacking support gems now either, and get "100%" chance to damage. Also poor searing bond I guess.
"
biyte wrote:

So pure ignite seems to be pretty shafted, it's more of an mini add-on for any regular hit build where you can maybe get a free 10-20% more dps.

Exactly, I think if you are using an AOE skill like flameblast you should think of ignite as extra bonus damage for rares or bosses. And there is absolutely no reason to use ignite prolif because chance to ignite is just way better. You easily get 100% chance to ignite and you get 29% more fire damage instead of 19%.

This is why I think Ignite proliferation should be a gem designed to help single target skills become aoe. For example, using ignite prolif on a skill like fireball or burning arrow instead of GMP as an alternative way to get larger radius. Or in my case... I was trying bear trap with conversion because of its high base damage.
Last edited by Ardziv on Aug 27, 2017, 10:19:24 PM
Awesome gem. I think we also need Lesser Ignite Proliferation available at lvl 12 (w/o more damage bonus) and Greater Ignite Proliferation (+0.5 units proliferation radius and 5% flat ignite chance at gem lvl 24).
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess
Last edited by a_z0_9 on Sep 17, 2017, 3:33:44 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info