[3.0] Glacial Hammer Gladiator

"
fatekills wrote:
1st question is will it be fine to use frostbreath from 50 to 75?

2nd question is which pantheons are best in your opinion?

I have made it to level 59 so far and it has been very fun.

Thank you for the build!

1. Yes. Since most of your enemies will be chilled, there are very few weapons out there which will outdamage Frostbreath (and they are pretty expensive, so there is no real reason to use them, except when you are really rich).

2. Soul of Yugul is a must as the minor power, since it allows us to survive even Elemental Reflect maps. For the major power - it depends on the map boss. I mostly switch between Soul of Solaris and Soul of Lunaris.
Thank you for the reply!!!
"
chedrich wrote:

There is a main reason for me to use The Belt of the Deceiver: the crit damage reduction. In this game, you will mostly die from unexpected damage spikes. The game runs smoothly, you clear map after map, and then... booom, you're dead. And one mitigation mechanism for this is the crit damage reduction. In other builds I've built I omitted the Belt of the Deceiver, but then I had to take the node with armour and crit damage reduction in order to feel safe. And the node costs you 3 skillpoints, and adds only 20% crit damage reduction.

Ah, crystal clear now thanks! I hate dying to spike damage! In the end I had to take a rare belt to cap my resists. I also had to take “Wisdom of the Glade” near “point Blank” to get enough Intelligence.

My Gear

I Would be keen to read you thoughts on flasks. I'm using Rumi's till I finish getting the block nodes. Then I'll switch to Lion's Roar.

I had to buy a Lioneye's Remorse (80 chaos) and The Anvil (1 chaos) since I had crappy legacy ones.

Spoiler
Last edited by drawward on Sep 16, 2017, 2:03:19 AM
2-3 thoughts on your equipment, then I'm gonna go to the flasks:

The rings seem to have the most improvement potential, followed by your gloves. On the rings, I will strongly recommend having flat added physical damage. That means, I would search for rings with:

Flat phys damage (as high as possible)
~ 70 Life
Resists

One ring should have Intelligence (around 50), at best additionally some mana regeneration, the other one Chaos Resistance.

For your gloves, you should have flat phys damage as well, and -much more important- attack speed. Haku Lvl 7 provides you with up to 12% ATS, if you have a free suffix slot on your gloves. I will strongly recommend it, over the armour bonus, which is secondary in my opinion.

Regarding the flasks: 2 life flasks (one with remove bleeding, one with remove frost and chill), Atziri's Promise, The Wise Oak (especially if you are able to bring all your elemental resists to the same level). The last flask is somewhat optional: if you get some good unique flasks (including Divination Distillate, Zerphi's, Taste of Hate, Kiara's, Lion's Roar), go for it, otherwise another life flask with remove bleeding will do it as well.

Hi.

I recently started this build because I remember having a glacial hammer character back in the old days and I had a blast with it.

Currently 37 level before act 4 boss

However,

I have mana problems all the time while using hatred and herald of ice
I have 1200 hp only
Accuracy is a big issue and I won't see RT in a few days
Tried the normal lab but I died and my dps sucked big time vs the last boss
Dunno what weapon to use until I get to lvl 50 to use the unique hammer, currently still with Brightbeak

In addition I don't understand the use of the two unique jewels. Do they stack ?

"
chedrich wrote:
"
Ironfigment wrote:
I don't understand using winter burial in the node next to golem's blood, there is no strength to activate the jewel.

There is one strength node close to the 2h-Wheel (Wrecking Ball/Executioner) and 3 strength nodes on the other side (close to Defiance, including the one above Splitting Strikes) which all count.

Sorry but does this mean it is counting also the strenght nodes in the area which I have not picked ? Don't they need to be active to have the effect ?
Last edited by MegaTen_IV on Sep 21, 2017, 4:42:47 AM
Ok, a couple of thoughts:

I looked at the characters in your profile, and I assume it's the now lvl 40 gladiator we are talking of.

Your mana problems result partly from the usage of Multistrike in the gem setup. Although it might be tempting to have the higher DPS displayed, I will still recommend you the usage of Ruthless instead. Otherwise try to get a Ring with some mana regen on it. Additionally you might already take the first leech node (the one with mana and life leech) which is close to your path.

Regarding your HP:
I would suggest working on your equipment a little bit. You have high potential for HP on your chest, amulet, gloves and helmet. So I would rather recommend to search for some rares with resis and life instead of the uniques you have there. Especially your Extractor Mentis seems very... ambivalent to me. Not sure if the advantages outweigh the disadvantages... Hrimsorrow is also only usefull until you get both jewel slots, after that I would recommend using rares with some phys damage, attack speed, life and resists as well.

Regarding the accuracy two thoughts:
a) Rare items with flat accuracy (for example a rare amulet)
b) Temporary usage of the Eagle Eye accuracy and crit nodes which are also close to your path

Regarding your weapon usage: have you tried Bitterdream? The physical DPS might be lower than the Flesh-Eater DPS but the added skills might boost your damage significantly. Starting with Lvl 41 you might use "The supreme Truth" as well (kudos to Quendishir for the leveling weapon recommendation).

And yes, the bonuses from both jewels stack, leading to a full cold conversion of GH and full cold area damage (when you have 2 jewels, Hrimsorrow becomes obsolete, because you already have a 100% cold conversion of your physical damage). And they work without TAKING the strength nodes, the nodes only have to be there in a medium jewel range.

Thank you.

This helped.

Can you please also explain two things I don't understand ?

What is the reason behind picking Devoto's Devotion over a good rare for example ?
How come that you are running 100 % mana reserved with arctic armor, herald and hatred and no blood magic gem for glacial ?

Was very lucky, vaal'd an Anvil and got additional 4 % chance to block yay :-)
Last edited by MegaTen_IV on Sep 22, 2017, 5:23:58 PM
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
Can you please also explain two things I don't understand ?

What is the reason behind picking Devoto's Devotion over a good rare for example ?
How come that you are running 100 % mana reserved with arctic armor, herald and hatred and no blood magic gem for glacial ?

Was very lucky, vaal'd an Anvil and got additional 4 % chance to block yay :-)

Gratz to your Anvil! :-)

There are some reasons which speak for a Devoto's... but none of them is really mandatory. It's more the combination which makes it appealing:
* High armour and evasion (you might get a 700 armour helmet or a 700 evasion helmet, but Devoto's has both at the same time)
* Damage bonus (16% attack speed is way stronger than the 10% reduction to physical damage...)
* Movement speed
* Chaos resistance
* You get Glacial Hammer enchanted Devoto's pretty cheap

So if you get a good rare with the corresponding GH damage enchantment and maybe chaos resistance and you have boots with 20-30% movement speed, there might be no further necessity for using Devoto's. But if you struggle finding good boots with high movement speed, resistances and life or chaos resistance gloves and rings then Devoto takes care of one or more of your issues.

Other viable alternatives might be Rat's Nest or Starkonja's Head (sadly boths provide no chaos resistance).

Regarding the mana reservation: you forgot my (level 3) Enlighten. Using it, you only have a 92% mana reservation with Hatred, Herald of Ice and Arctic Armour.
Last edited by chedrich on Sep 22, 2017, 7:45:42 PM
what is your opinion on using Kintsugi ?
_
Last edited by cookees on Oct 1, 2017, 9:44:51 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info