[3.2] [HC-SC] Essence Drecay GMP with 11-12 Charges [Trickster] [MoM + High Dodge to HC]

Attention, this build is not about Blight + CwC + Essence Drain. It is about ED 5/6L (ED + Decay + GMP + Void Man + Efficacy) and Blight to help against bosses. :)

This is a guide for anyone who wants an easy-to-play, good starter build and efficient build to play the game content.

Brief history
In the legacy league (2.6) I tried to do an ED hit build that could kill packs without using Contagion, with 100% pierce. I used one Snakepit to help, but in practice it did not work, so I had to use Contagion.

With the changes in double dips (pierce nodes/mechanics no longer affects DoT damage in ED) and in the mechanics of pierce, and the new support gem Decay I saw that this time could work. So I tested this build in beta and it worked, I just had time to test up T11 maps successfully.

My initial build I had 2 ED: 4L to kill trash and 5L + to kill bosses. It worked well until T11 maps. Now this build is a 5/6L Essence Drain + GMP and Blight. To softcore version a pure Blight compilation, to hardcore versions Blight + Dark Pact + CwC + life leech because that life leech is usefull to hardcore leagues.

Playstyle
Use your Essence Drain and watch the enemies die. If necessary, spam ED against blue, rares and uniques/bosses monsters.

Overall, the vast majority of bosses generate minions that help keep the charges up.

You will also use a set of Pure Blight compilation with Asenath's gloves or using Allelopathy gloves (preferably this) to increase your damage dealt against strong enemies such as bosses.

Why play with this build instead of one with contagion?
Because that this build is funny. :)

Contagion does not spread Decay, the main advantage of this build is to individually cause great damage almost at the same time to the enemies of a pack with Decay affecting all.

With one simple cast, the ED can reach enemies off screen far away while you hit certain packs, realizing that they killed them only when you move to the next pack.

The disadvantage of this build compared to one of Contagion is that when many enemies appear at the same time (Breachs for example) you have to aim towards the enemies you want to hit and the time you spend to aim in all directions can leave the situation a bit dangerous.

This problematic situation is solved with the suggestion of @Aedwy (thx) with a set of CwdT + Contagion. With this, this danger is greatly reduced with the help of the Contagion only passively when you are hit enough. So while Contagion spreads the ED on one side when you're hit enough on CwdT, you might worry with other directions.

Goal with this build:
- Retarded build, easy to play;
- Best damage possible to each version (softcore, hardcore v. 1 and v. 2);
- The best defensive set based on Trickster + MoM + Weave the Arcane + Chance to Dodge Attacks and/or Spells to hardcore versions.

Videos
Against Kitava - Level 73 hardcore harbinger
https://youtu.be/ew_qwJG_z6s[/spoiler]
Ascendancy
Trickster is the best ascendancy to this build.

Weave the Arcane > Patiente Reaper > Prolonged Pain > Swift Killer

Pantheon
Major god: The Brine King
Protects you from the effects of cold damage and stun. Very usefull.

Minor God: Gruthkul
Additional defense against physical damage.

Usefull essence to this build
As a gaming strategy, you will save your currency from the beginning (buy only Asenath glove and Heartbreaker) of the game to buy an Essence of Delirium to use in a Sai (hardcore versions - at least ilevel 80+) or in a Opal Wand (softcore version - at least ilevel 80+).

Essence of Delirium

Sai

Opal Wand

(one +2 staff is better? read below in the Rare items section about this)

Versions this build
All simulations is against Shaper, level 90, 6L, Empower level 4, Essence Drain 21/20, other gems 20/20, Wither totem 10 stacks, Blight 4L, 11-12 charges, Witchfire Brew, Sulphur Flask, Flame Golem, Temporal Chain, Hindered enemies and Vaal Lightning Trap (shock).

Softcore
Pros: highest damage, 12 charges, 7 jewel slots
Cons: lowest defense, only block, Acrobatics (30%) and Temporal Chain on Hit (using Asenath's gloves or corrupted Allelopathy with this mod) as defensive means, 142% of increased maximum life
ED estimated at least 189,1k dps.
Blight full damage (4L) at least 99,9k dps.
Total: 289k dps.
https://pastebin.com/XDjGpNA1

Hardcore version 1 (Recommended to most experienced players)
Pros: medium damage and medium defensive means (block + Acrobatics [35%] + MoM + Arctic Armour), 12 charges, 181% of increased maximum life
Cons: less damage than softcore, 6 jewel slots.
ED estimated at least 133,3k dps.
Blight full damage (4L) at least 78,4k dps.
Total: 211,7k dps.
https://pastebin.com/Z4Md419h

Hardcore version 2 (Recommended for more fearful people like me :P )
Pros: highest defensive means (block + Acrobatics/Phase Acrobatics [45%/35%] + MoM + Arctic Armour), 16% increased area effect on the tree, 181% of increased maximum life
Cons: lowest damage of all, 11 charges, 5 jewel slots.
ED estimated at least 127,1k dps.
Blight full damage (4L) at least 72,8k dps.
Total: 199,9k dps against bosses.
https://pastebin.com/HTxkrkYD

Leveling guide
Go in the direction of Piercing Shots cluster to get this early leveling with ED + Contagion. Then go (dont take Written in Blood now) to Discipline and Training (templar tree - this point both versions must have Weave the Arcane, hardcore tree must have MoM + Inspiration to fight against Kitava more safe). From level 38 you must have a 4L to use ED + Decay + GMP + Void Manipulation. Take Written in Blood, Cruel Preparation and go to Acrobatics and Herbalism. This is going to happen around at the level 65.

Before Kitava act 10, you must have at least Cwdt + Contagion.

I recommend normal Izaro around level 38. Go cruel Izaro around level 60. Go merciless Izaro when you feel safe.

Use Heartbreaker until you have a Sai/Opal Wand with Decay mod.

Passive Tree
Softcore version:
Level 90

Full tree

Softcore ultimate form (rich version - 9 jewel sockets)

- Hardcore version 1:
Level 90

Full Build

- Hardcore version 2:
Level 90

Full Build

Unique items
Spoiler
Heartbreaker

Excellent item until you have a Sai/Opal Wand with Decay mod.

Asenath's Gentle Touch

Good item, this item has Temporal Chain on Hit.

Allelopathy

Cheap and powerfull against bosses. 5L glove with Blight Level 22. But I only recommend using this item if it is a corrupted with temporal chain on hit. Temporal chain makes a lot of difference giving security to the player, in addition to damage. One corrupted Temporal Chain on Hit not be cheap.

Spreading Rot

Must have it, cheap am powerfull. Your chaos damage is generally increased if enemies are hindered.

The Aylardex

Patch notes 3.0.0
"
The Trickster's Swift Killer skill now also grants +1 to Maximum Power Charges, and 5% increased Damage over Time (patch 3.2 is increased damage - generic) per Frenzy and Power charge.

With the changes in Swift Killer in 3.0, it will be worth using this item to gain +1 power charges (5/6) and help to keep then (increase the duration). Then using this you can increase the damage (25-30% increased DoT damage - 55-60% increased DoT damage with all charges up [11-12 charges - 5/6 power and 6 frenzy]). Only use this if you have Swift Killer.

Cloak of Flame

Great option to hardcore. Nice physical damage mitigation.

Tabula Rasa

For those who want to explore the maximum damage and possible efficiency quickly the tabula rasa provide it and is a great option for those who do not have 6L. In the hardcore will depend on much damage you can mitigate (mainly physical) and capped elemental resistances. You can use, instead this, a rare 6L ES/EV with chance to dodge attacks/spells to hardcore versions.

Cherrubim's Maleficence

Excellent item to increase the damage. But this item you can have a little difficulties of putting the correct colors in the sockets, using Vorici Chromatic Calculator you will know the best way.
3G 3B: best way is using chromatic, 2,86%
3G 2B 1R: best way is using chromatic, 8,23%

Optional but very useful
Le Heup of All
Interesting item that can provide until 30% increased damage (10-30). The cons is not have flat life mod, but this have a pseudo-flat life, the to all attributes (strengh = pseudo-life).

Witchfire Brew
Other interesting item that can provide damage.

Rare items
About rare items, to all slots not recommended with any unique item, rare gear with hp + resists.

To rings I recommend rings with Essence of Envy (increased x% chaos damage).

To shields, rare ES or ES/EV shields.

To softcore version one rare ES shield with spell damage implicit + suffix.

One rare hybrid ES/EV shield is a very interesting option to all hardcore versions. To hardcore v.1 if it to have spell damage + chance to dodge attacks (implicit + affix) Do you can have 43% chance to dodge attacks (35 + 8).

To hardcore v.2 one rare hybrid ES/EV shield if it to have spell damage + chance to dodge spells (implicit + affix) is possible to achieve 45% chance to dodge attacks and 43% (35 + 8) chance to dodge spells.

My defenses in the beta (hardcore v. 2 version):
Spoiler

4448k at level 84.

Helmet: +26 life
Boot: +80 life
Glove (Asenath): +26 life
Shield: +52 life
Belt (leather): +110 (37 + 73) life + 15,5 (31 strengh)
Amulet: +67 life
Left ring: +31 life
Right ring: +34 life

Example of shield to hardcore v. 2:
Spoiler

Is it worth using a +2 staff?OUTDATED SECTION, I WILL UPDATE LATER
Spoiler
Not. If you get a +3 staff, yes to all versions. A staff +2 or +3 with Decay mode, you can play the lottery. :)

Softcore version
Using a +2 staff against bosses with Decay gem, using 5L, gems level 19 no quality, level 90, Wither + totem (10 stacks), 12 Charges, Temporal Chain, hindered enemies, Vulnerability and Vaal Lightning Trap against bosses is 98,5k(smaller than the version using decay dagger).

Using a +2 staff against bosses with Decay mod, using 5L, gems level 19 no quality, level 90, Wither + totem (10 stacks), 12 Charges, Temporal Chain, hindered enemies, Vulnerability and Vaal Lightning Trap against bosses is 121,3k.

Hardcore v. 1
Using a +2 staff against bosses with Decay gem, using 5L, gems level 19 no quality, level 90, Wither + totem (10 stacks), 12 Charges, Temporal Chain, hindered enemies and Vaal Lightning Trap against bosses is 72,8k(smaller than the version using decay dagger).

Using a +2 staff against bosses with Decay mod, using 5L, gems level 19 no quality, level 90, Wither + totem (10 stacks), 12 Charges, Temporal Chain, hindered enemies and Vaal Lightning Trap against bosses is 91,2k.

Hardcore v. 2
Using a +2 staff against bosses with Decay gem, using 5L, gems level 19 no quality, level 90, Wither + totem (10 stacks), 11 Charges, Temporal Chain, hindered enemies and Vaal Lightning Trap against bosses is 68,5k(smaller than the version using decay dagger).

Using a +2 staff against bosses with Decay mod, using 5L, gems level 19 no quality, level 90, Wither + totem (10 stacks), 11 Charges, Temporal Chain, hindered enemies and Vaal Lightning Trap against bosses is 85,8k.

Links
Essence Drain with Decay gem:
5L: Essence Drain + Void Manipulation + Decay + Greater Multiple Projectiles + Efficacy
6L: + Swift Affliction

Essence Drain using Sai/Opal Wand/staff with Decay mod
5L: Essence Drain + Void Manipulation + Swift Affliction + Greater Multiple Projectiles + Efficacy
6L: + Empower or Controlled Destruction

Blight 4L:
Blight + Controlled Destruction + Efficacy + Void Manipulation

Using Allelopathy's gloves:
Controlled Destruction + Efficacy + Void Manipulation + Swift Affliction

Other Skills
3L: Whirling Blades or Shield Charge + CwdT (level 2) + Contagion (level 11).
Basic movement skill to increase the clear speed and avoid attacks and/or spells. Because that this dont is using faster attack and fortify, it is more slow, then take care. The Contagion will help against many enemies.

4L: Wither + Spell Totem + Faster Casting + Increased Duration
With 10 stacks, this set is a great skill that helps a lot against bosses, both offensively and defensively.

4L: Arctic Armour (only hardcore versions) + Clarity + Blood Rage + Enlighten
Arctic Armour + Clarity to sustain your MoM (hardcore versions). With Enlighten is more mana free to MoM. Blood Rage to gain Frenzy Charges on Kill (with Swift Killer is 40% of chances).

3L: Rallying Cry or Fire Golem + Increased Duration + Vaal Lightning Trap
Vaal Lightning Trap to help with shock against bosses and Rallying Cry (or Fire Golem) to increase your damage.

Jewels
Softcore version: jewels with spell damage, chaos damage, damage over time and generic increased damage. This 3 last damage mods affect both, ED and Decay damage over time.
Hardcore versions: jewels with life, chaos damage, damage over time and generic increased damage. All this 3 damage mods affect both, ED and Decay damage over time.

Bandits
Kill all.

Flask
Sulphur Flask is a good choice to use. If you want, you can use a defensive flask, Stibnite or Basalt are good choice. Granite dont is good because of Acrobatics penalty.
Guides made by me:
Unnamed's CoC CI Discharge Trickster, Tankster BV MoM Poison, Saboquisitor MoM Pure Cold damage with Hrimburn, Trickster Critical Flameblast
Last edited by Carrasco_Santo on Mar 2, 2018, 8:02:30 AM
Last bumped on May 4, 2018, 8:05:17 PM
Updates:
Spoiler
1/8/2017
- Updated initial post to 3.0.

2/8/2017
- Updated Playstyle, Versions this build, Unique items, Rare items and Links sections.
- Added new section Why play with this build instead of one with contagion?

6/8/2017
- Updated Passive tree and Rare Items sections.

11/8/2017
- Updated Playstile, Usefull essence to this build, Versions this build, Leveling guide, Rare items, Links sections and Other Skills sections.

21/8/2017
- Updated Versions this build and Passive Tree sections.

25/8/2017
- Updated Brief history, Playstyle, Videos, Version this build, Passive Tree, Unique items, Rare items and Links sections.
Overview sbout this update: removed Single and Dual ED options, added Blight + CwC + Dark Pact to this build and changes in the rest of the text in this sense. Removed dual curse option.
Guides made by me:
Unnamed's CoC CI Discharge Trickster, Tankster BV MoM Poison, Saboquisitor MoM Pure Cold damage with Hrimburn, Trickster Critical Flameblast
Last edited by Carrasco_Santo on Aug 25, 2017, 8:23:13 AM
So, i know it's beta.... i lvled with your Tree till lvl 38... then all hell broke loose... Ball lightning+Decay... like kills everything...

But i use 5L Single target boss, i use ED...Mapping. BL...
BL/ED - Decay - Void man - rapid decay - GMP

Hope they dont nerf Decay to much...
Last edited by thyraa on Jun 19, 2017, 9:49:51 PM
I'm going to start playing today with this build, I made some modifications to the tree going a little further to the left side of the tree (Templar Tree).

Pure evasion with Phase Acrobatics:
https://pastebin.com/xgLEycVc

MoM with Acrobatics:
https://pastebin.com/7irQ6Lq2

Version using 2 Snakepit (removing GMP):
https://pastebin.com/m43cZGS7

Well, let's see if this build works. I think that the wipe will be done this weekend, even if it's done I'll play with this build soon after, it seems to be pretty promising. :)

Guides made by me:
Last edited by Carrasco_Santo on Jun 19, 2017, 8:19:26 PM
"
thyraa wrote:
So, i know it's beta.... i lvled with your Tree till lvl 38... then all hell broke loose... Ball lightning+Decay... like kills everything...

But i use 5L Single target boss, i use ED...Mapping. BL...
BL/ED - Decay - Void man - rapid decay - GMP

Hope they dont nerf Decay to much...

I'm still in Act 3, but it looks like people are using Decay + Lightning Ball. In fact from what I saw in the videos, it was very efficient against trash, against blue not so much, but against bosses it seems weak. Making a 5L with Essence Drain (without GMP and using Eficacy) should be very strong indeed, in PoB showed that using Wither + Spell totem is possible at least 57K chaos dps. A common Essence Drain + Contagion life build with gems level 19 without quality usually does ~ 36k dps with Wither + Spell totem.

For now I'm testing, but it may be that GGG nerf this gem just because of Lightning Ball users and its use is no longer worth it as a normal Essence Drain + Contagion.

I think a good way to bring some disadvantage of this gem to users of elemental skills is an inherent mod that minimizes damage while using elemental skills. For example Supported Elemental Skills Deal 40% less chaos damage. Brutality give Deal No ELemental Damage, Void Manipulation give Deal 25% reduced Elemental Damage and Controlled Destruction have 100% reduced Critical Strike Chance.

But this tip was good, gave me a new idea, use 4L to trash (ED + Decay + GMP + Pierce), with this is around 20K, enough to kill trash packs without difficulty (GMP + Pierce) and 5/6L to bosses (ED + Decay + Void Manipulation + Rapid Decay + Efficacy) around 56K (with Wither + Spell totem).
Guides made by me:
Last edited by Carrasco_Santo on Jun 20, 2017, 8:03:26 AM
I started to make a build somewhat like this. I can reach 95k dot dps with 6-linked staff +2 to chaos gems and +1 to gems. Links are ED + controlled destruction + efficiacy + void manipulation + rapid decay + empower for boss killing. For trash use another link in chest with Ball lightning + decay + efficiacy + void manipulation + rapid decay + controlled destruction. I think this is the highest damage potential you can get from ED this patch.

Thinking of going CI occultist and I can get to around 8-10k ES depending on how heavily I invest in es nodes and gear. This is definitely not a league starter though I think.
Last edited by akarlgren on Jun 20, 2017, 9:33:45 AM
With a Staff +3 really can achieve very high damage, I even thought about the possibility, but I'm building this build to hardcore league, so a shield I consider quite important, for life, resists, block, etc.

But I can change my opinion, a +3 staff is very expensive, but a +1/+1 is not expensive. +2 socketed chaos work with Decay? Yes this cause chaos damage, but the tag gem is only "support".

This ease that you are saying in using Decay with Ball Lightning leads me to believe that they will nerf the use of Decay with elemental skills. If not nerf, the best option will be the one that causes more damage and better mechanics, BL + 3 "mors" or ED + Decay + Pierce + GMP (my build).

I simulated a low life with Shavs but in the end it was not worth exchanging Cheruubim's Malificence for this. Even using Redbeak.
Guides made by me:
Last edited by Carrasco_Santo on Jun 20, 2017, 11:43:35 AM
Decay support is very strong to level because the gem does very good damage at low levels, but I think it's pretty balanced at the level cap.

I hope that they don't cut the highest level damage too much because it would be a mistake.
Well, doing the calculations in PoB build Essence Drain + Decay + GMP + Pierce has practically the same damage as Ball Lightning + Rapid Decay + Decay + Void Man in 4L.

4L Essence Drain + Decay + GMP + Pierce:

20,7k dps

4L Ball Lightning + Decay + Void Man + Rapid Decay:

20K dps

4L Ball Lightning with GMP instead Rapid Decay:

14k dps only

But it is in 6L that the difference is abysmal. Assuming that someone chooses to use Staff and has 6L in the chest and staff, 6L with Essence Drain + Decay + GMP + Pierce is much stronger than a 6L Ball Lightning and other gems.

6L Essence Drain + Decay + GMP + Pierce + Void Man + Efficacy:

37,6k dps

6L Ball Lightning + Decay + Void Man + Rapid Decay + Efficacy + Culling Strike

25,6K dps

Conclusion:
It is much better to use Essence Drain + Decay + Pierce + GMP than Ball Lightning + Decay, the synergy is much better.
Guides made by me:
Last edited by Carrasco_Santo on Jun 20, 2017, 8:54:54 PM
I think this build is not dead yet:
There will be many adjustments to gems in relation to Damage over Time balance. The Decay Support Gem will do significantly less damage, 50% less damage at gem level 20, and its duration will be reduced to 8 seconds.

Because of this:
Essence Drain will do more damage, up to 25% more at gem level 20.

Since this build is quite convenient using Decay + Essence Drain to clean trash, but it will certainly be weaker. What I can say about this build compared to a normal Essence Drain is that it has both advantages and disadvantages.

The main disadvantages of this build is that it has problems with many enemies on the screen. While ED + Contagion easily cleans many mobs on the screen by spreading the DoT, this is using ED + Decay + GMP + Pierce has to aim for the side you want. In Breach this build has serious problems. If you're not careful, you die. Also noticeable is the problem on enemies with many helpers appearing on all sides, a example is the Brine King.

The main advantagens is the reach of the Essence Drain, the projectiles go very far, off-screen and the base damage was quite high, even using only decay + ED.

I really did not expect them to bother Decay so much, I thought they would give a more elegant solution with a penalty to anyone using Decay linked to elemental skills.

After the wipe I will re-test this build, at the moment I will return to play with my EK MoM.
Guides made by me:

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info