[3.6] Milky's Scorching Ray Totems (updating process)

Noob question, why not use flame dash instead of shield charge for movement? It's faster and you can "jump" over obstacles. Ancestral bond keystone disables manual damage anyway. Plus the burning ground it leaves benefits from passives and equipment.
Last edited by BinkanSalaryman on Aug 5, 2017, 11:19:43 PM
No damage anyway : no Ancestral Bound
No melee hit : cannot use fortify

Nice try ;)
If you've read this, you've lost 4 seconds...
@drunkydragon

i don't understand your wall of text, sorry.

In the gem section i list you options to choose what you like. Sorry if that is too much.

I wrote in the introduction of the build that i am not sure how good MoM performs in 3.0 and that you can always switch to BM if it turns out to be complete shit on the build.

Sorry that i even try to write down something that may help other players. In every build its not black and white. There are grey areas about what options works and not.

If i write "use these exact 3 gems" i have daily posts about "why arent you using xxx gem instead???".
I rather list a few good options than nonr, if it makes sense.

Also don't blame me that the patchnodes are release 2 days before 3.0 and i have to change a lot of things in that time.

I could have done nothing instead, but i decided to overhaul the whole guide for YOU players. I have everything in my mind and could have waited.

I have no problem with critizism if it makes sense and constructive.

"Dude i don't like the weapon gem part, its too much and confusing. might take a look over it? "

"why did you switch to a berserker?"

This guide is done for the community and i have no benefit from doing thst. Its just fun for me to do it.
Well thought constructive communiity feedback and questions helped me a lot to improve it over the last years.

You will even see some changes over the next weeks, since its not possible to theorycraft everything after big changes. Sone things turn out to be good, others not so much.

Now i spend time with my family and focus on progression in the game, which is required to have a better picture of the changes. Playtesting is still the best for that.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi-NL9JevOxF-6W3n-a7o-w

My Youtube channel with builds, unique and mechanic discussions etc
"
Noob question, why not use flame dash instead of shield charge for movement? It's faster and you can "jump" over obstacles. Ancestral bond keystone disables manual damage anyway. Plus the burning ground it leaves benefits from passives and equipment.

It's ok to use, pretty quick animation. But the chargesystem behind it is too limiting for me personally and we cannot gain fortify

"
Enterich wrote:
Are you still going for the life&armor skills if you pick up the physical damage skills? Or directly rushing towards ancestral bonds?

you need to before switching at lvl 40,or you cannot respecc the melee nodes.

- edited the Bandit section. I got spammed ingame with questions about bandits (i was writing in fat letters that i would choose eramir earlier). Now i only list eramir.

- changed the title to righteous fire totems again. Its the main ability despite the usage of other burning related skills. It just sounds and looks better :p

my current thoughts about mind over matter:

It does in fact do work, but i noticed that i run out of mana very quickly without proper mitigation (armour, block...).

It might get better with clarity instead of Purity over time, have to play with it further.
Currently its spiking a lot. Full mana, low mana, warcry, more mana again and so on.

I would test laviagnas wisdom once its aviable which ignores manacosts and makes it smoother while on low mana.

Bloodmagic is a smoother experience. Grab enduring cry and focus on the healthpool alone. But i think that there is some more potential in MoM with more levels and better mitigation.

If i am not satisfied with it in the mid 80's i will change the guide to Bloodmagic.

This doesn't change anything for you, except respeccing 4 skillpoints from Mind over matter into bloodmagic (which we get enough from quest rewards anyway).

If you are not satisfied with MoM atm just switch to bloodmagic once you need no more purity for your or the totem resists

Last edited by Milkyslice on Aug 6, 2017, 2:36:02 AM
Just wanted to say thank you for sharing this build. Its a great concept.

I chose to go chieftain mostly because I'm scared of having a 10%more damage mod on top of stacked curses (even if those curses are only 20% effective each). I also love the idea of auto-endurance charges. This frees up a warcry, which means i can now use rallying cry instead for both increased damage and mana regen... all that said, I'm guessing zerker is still better.

I did want to ask about skill management though. ATM I have the following skills that I am supposed to consistantly cast:
- Curse on hit (ball lightning)
- RF totem
- Searing bond totem
- Scorching ray totem
- Warcry
- Decoy totem

This is getting pretty out of hand for me and I'm pressing buttons like a lunatic when I'm in a tricky situation, most times leading to my demise.

Any suggestions?
"
Stringtheory wrote:
Just wanted to say thank you for sharing this build. Its a great concept.

I chose to go chieftain mostly because I'm scared of having a 10%more damage mod on top of stacked curses (even if those curses are only 20% effective each). I also love the idea of auto-endurance charges. This frees up a warcry, which means i can now use rallying cry instead for both increased damage and mana regen... all that said, I'm guessing zerker is still better.

I did want to ask about skill management though. ATM I have the following skills that I am supposed to consistantly cast:
- Curse on hit (ball lightning)
- RF totem
- Searing bond totem
- Scorching ray totem
- Warcry
- Decoy totem

This is getting pretty out of hand for me and I'm pressing buttons like a lunatic when I'm in a tricky situation, most times leading to my demise.

Any suggestions?

Normally i just use the rf totem and orb of storm.

the other stuff is used more on bosses or when there is too much time anyway (essence dudes, harbringer etc)

enduring cry won´t be needed as a chieftain after the uber lab. i even thought about swapping it out on my 2.6 chieftain ;) Its nice to keep those charges up after backtracking or bossfights.

If you don´t like the curses, try 1-2 curse removal flasks and no kikazaru + self-flagellation

Last edited by Milkyslice on Aug 6, 2017, 2:42:48 AM
This guide is so great. I really appreciate the videos. Thank you! This will be my first non-flame totem character!
What is pro/con of replacing Kikazaru rings/SelfFlagellation jewel with Pyre rings?
Hello Milky,

so happy with your build !
just started mapping yesterday :)

Thank you again for your work !

A question:

Just bought this belt for the resists, paid 2 chaos:

Do you think we can work with the faster burning damage?
Maybe get shield charge to ignite ?

P.S.:

Lass dich nicht von den Leuten haten, die den Build schlecht machen. Ich und viele andere auch sind dir sehr dankbar für deine Arbeit im Vorfeld und vorallem nach der Veröffentlichung der Patchnotes.

Mach weiter so !
Last edited by Linus69 on Aug 6, 2017, 4:17:18 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info