[3.6] Milky's Scorching Ray Totems (updating process)

"
So far I am in Act 7 and I love this build!

But I am very confused about the gem levels.

Why are so many of your gems at level 19 and not 20?

Why is Vaal Lightning Trap at level 1 and the other trap gems at 1, 5, and 18?

Why is Arcane Surge at level 4?

Why is Vaal Cold Snap at level 5?

Why is Faster Casting at level 13?

Why is Multiple Totems at level 10?

When placing totems is there a strategy to placement or just place them near enemy packs/boss?

I am using Vaal Lightning Trap, but how can I tell I triggered EE? Should I use regular Lightning Trap or the Vaal version only?

I use Storm Brand but it doesn't always trigger Elemental Overload, why?

For regular enemies I just place Scorching Ray totems and things die fast. Yet Searing Bond Totems barely do anything, what purpose do they serve, just to buff my Templar?

Why don't you use leap slam? Flame Dash can only be used 3 times in a given time.

a lot of stuff to cover, lets start.

why not lvl 20 gems, only 19? Just because i havent got enough xp with the gem. lvl 19-20 gem takes a while

I just bought some gems from the vendor to test around etc, don't look at the gemlevels too closely in this case.

Usually get everything to 20 except:

Arcane surge should be on a level where it matches the manacost of the linked skill. Reason: it shoult procc the buff everytime you use the skill. Better have a slightly weaker (but still strong) buff than one that triggers ever 20 casts for 4secs.

Cast when damage taken skills (not supports) should match the cast when dmg taken level in the discription or they are not automated.
Some skills are good on a low lvl cwdt for utility (the dmg threshold raises with high lvl cwdt).
In my case the cwdt is mainly used for automated golem and i forgot to level the cold snap ;)

faster casting and multotem can be leveled up.

For the playstyle:

usually i just place the sr totems somewhere in front of a pack and head to the next one. Makes it easier for them to have a good spread over packs (compared to placing it in the middle). You will get a feel for it.
Storm brand can be used from time to time as well.
Usually, if the dmg is high enough, i only use storm brand and lightning trap on beefy targets like bosses, syndicates, red beasts and similar stuff.
For normal monsters its usually not necassary.
After the 2nd lab clearing will become waaay smoother as well with double totem placement.

You see ee's debuff on the enemy. They have some swirly purple effect below their feet.

usually i use the normal lighting trap, except the enemy survives longer than 3sec ;) They do the same, the vaal version just has the shocking ground attached and enemys take 20% more dmg on top.

Ele overload only triggers on crit. Storm brand hit enemys very often and thus grants a better chance over time to crit per cast (with its duration). Later with Hierophants conviction of power it gets way more reliable thanks to permanent 3 power charges for some critchance.
While leveling you will see the buff mostly against beefy targets.

Searing bond is mainly used for the buff of ritual of awakening. 9% more dmg, 3% liferegen, 1.5% manaregen is nice to have. Searing bond counts as a extra totem over your limit + 2 over the limit with multitotem.
Not that necassary to use (again more for singletarget).

Leap slam is usually way slower without investment into atkspeed.
Over time flame dashs cooldown is shorter as well
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi-NL9JevOxF-6W3n-a7o-w

My Youtube channel with builds, unique and mechanic discussions etc
hey there im a beginner and i test your build.

thank you for your guide :)

btw here is my pastebin maybe you can take a look help me out which items/jewels/passives you would change

maybe a better weapon? i really dont know which rare stats could be better than this

boots im looking for one with spider skill ofc.

greedings cuser

https://pastebin.com/1nYTbB6h
"
Milkyslice wrote:
"
So far I am in Act 7 and I love this build!

But I am very confused about the gem levels.

Why are so many of your gems at level 19 and not 20?

Why is Vaal Lightning Trap at level 1 and the other trap gems at 1, 5, and 18?

Why is Arcane Surge at level 4?

Why is Vaal Cold Snap at level 5?

Why is Faster Casting at level 13?

Why is Multiple Totems at level 10?

When placing totems is there a strategy to placement or just place them near enemy packs/boss?

I am using Vaal Lightning Trap, but how can I tell I triggered EE? Should I use regular Lightning Trap or the Vaal version only?

I use Storm Brand but it doesn't always trigger Elemental Overload, why?

For regular enemies I just place Scorching Ray totems and things die fast. Yet Searing Bond Totems barely do anything, what purpose do they serve, just to buff my Templar?

Why don't you use leap slam? Flame Dash can only be used 3 times in a given time.

Milky said a lot of cool stuff.

Thank you so much for the info! The gem levels were confusing me at first, but now I understand. I am having so much fun with this build you created.
"
cuser wrote:
hey there im a beginner and i test your build.

thank you for your guide :)

btw here is my pastebin maybe you can take a look help me out which items/jewels/passives you would change

maybe a better weapon? i really dont know which rare stats could be better than this

boots im looking for one with spider skill ofc.

greedings cuser

https://pastebin.com/1nYTbB6h

Idk how for you wanna push the char. Overall everything looks solid, could maybe get a better belt and boots over time as well as some life on the jewels. Some hrimnors corruption can help as well or even replace it (and grab cannot be frozen on boots).

Overall i see nothing wrong in the whole setup, at that point i woule just aim for some extra life here and there and thats it. IF you wanna develope the char further, personally i would be fine with that ;)

Shaper SR mtx looks good - I wanna see some on totems :)

"
CoolColJ wrote:
Shaper SR mtx looks good - I wanna see some on totems :)

it looks nice, but clips a lot which is annoying ;)

Hi great build thx. On belt Ralllying or Enduring is better?
I have always loved SR totems, and Vanguard spectres, and so I decided to make a build that combines both for full on SR totem overload :)

maybe even throw in some righteous fire

stay tuned

Now to decide on a class...

My vanguard spectres will go in this for now :)
52% burn damage equivalent with minion nodes

Cataclysm Glance
Necromancer Circlet
--------
Energy Shield: 52
--------
Requirements:
Level: 65
Int: 112
--------
Sockets: B-B-B B
--------
Item Level: 85
--------
Socketed Gems are Supported by Level 20 Burning Damage
Socketed Gems are Supported by Level 18 Minion Damage
+67 to maximum Life
+29 to maximum Mana
31% increased Burning Damage
21% increased Stun and Block Recovery
Minions deal 21% increased Damage

Last edited by CoolColJ on Apr 6, 2019, 11:30:29 AM
Hi everyone - PoE noob here. I was directed to this build for my first attempt at doing all the high level bosses in a season. Having a blast so far at level 84.

A couple noob questions:

1. How do I know the total +to totem elemental resistance %? The guide says buy a +9% jewel to cap the resists, but I can't find anywhere to see their value.

2. What amount of dexterity does this build typically max out at?

Thanks!
"
Psyqo72 wrote:
Hi everyone - PoE noob here. I was directed to this build for my first attempt at doing all the high level bosses in a season. Having a blast so far at level 84.

A couple noob questions:

1. How do I know the total +to totem elemental resistance %? The guide says buy a +9% jewel to cap the resists, but I can't find anywhere to see their value.

2. What amount of dexterity does this build typically max out at?

Thanks!

Spell totem has

40% Fire, Cold and Lightning Resistance
20% Chaos Resistance

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Spell_Totem_Support

I would shoot for at least 115 dex, but it all depends on which gems you max out to 20. 155 if you have say Phase run
Last edited by CoolColJ on Apr 7, 2019, 2:09:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info