Molten Strike DPS Calculator

For those who didn't know, it might be worth mentionning that in the current POB version (1.4.96), the "Magma Balls" "Total DPS" is a number you should NOT use in this calculator.
The reason is that the calculated attack rate is totally f****d up, ignoring stuff such as Multistrike or Born to Fight modifiers, but also applying stuff like Physical Projectile Attack Damage modifier where it shouldn't.

If you want an accurate "Magma Balls" "Total DPS" to work with, you need to calculate it manually by multiplying "Melee Hit" "Attack Rate" and "Magma Balls" "Average Damage".
That is of course for a character using Resolute Technique, the formula is heavier otherwise.

In my case, the calculated DPS went from 1.1 million to 2.2 million with that adjustment.
PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE EXPECTING A REPLY
Last edited by xhul on Jul 28, 2018, 11:16:13 AM
"
xhul wrote:
For those who didn't know, it might be worth mentionning that in the current POB version (1.4.96), the "Magma Balls" "Total DPS" is a number you should NOT use in this calculator.
The reason is that the calculated attack rate is totally f****d up, ignoring stuff such as Multistrike or Born to Fight modifiers, but also applying stuff like Physical Projectile Attack Damage modifier where it shouldn't.

If you want an accurate "Magma Balls" "Total DPS" to work with, you need to calculate it manually by multiplying "Melee Hit" "Attack Rate" and "Magma Balls" "Average Damage".
That is of course for a character using Resolute Technique, the formula is heavier otherwise.

In my case, the calculated DPS went from 1.1 million to 2.2 million with that adjustment.

Thanks for pointing out the Born to Fight calculation problems. It's not surprising that it shares the same bug with multistrike.

The way I typically do the calculations for multistrike are either:
  • If I'm not already using elemental focus, replace multistrike with ele focus in PoB. It gives a very similar total DPS boost.
  • Correct for the APS errors (approach 1): realOneBallDps = pobOneBallDps * pobMeleeApsWithMultistrike / pobMeleeApsWithoutMultistrike
  • Correct for the APS errors (approach 2): realOneBallDps = pobOneBallDps * 1.94 (assuming a lvl 20 multistrike gem).

• Could you give more information on how it calculates PPAD incorrectly? I just plugged molten strike and ppad gems into my current double strike character's pob and the dps jumped by a reasonable amount. Also, the calcs page showed correct-looking numbers in the incr phys and more phys boxes. I'd love to know if I'm missing something here.
  • 2.6 BLS Berserker budget shaper farmer build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1882710
    About PPAD, well, POB actually applies the "Supported Skills have 10% less Projectile Attack Speed" modifier to the magma balls attack rate, resulting in a 0.9 multiplier, which isn't surprising either.
    Now, according to the wiki, the game ignores that, which makes sense, since the actual attack rate of the balls is always "following" the melee attack rate, otherwise we could notice a significant desynchronization between the melee hit and the balls generation, especially after a long period of constant attacking.

Oh, and about what you said earlier, do you mean that your calculator already takes into account those POB flaws ?
    Last edited by xhul on Jul 28, 2018, 2:46:47 PM
    "
    xhul wrote:
    About PPAD, well, POB actually applies the "Supported Skills have 10% less Projectile Attack Speed" modifier to the magma balls attack rate, resulting in a 0.9 multiplier, which isn't surprising either.
    Now, according to the wiki, the game ignores that, which makes sense, since the actual attack rate of the balls is always "following" the melee attack rate, otherwise we could notice a significant desynchronization between the melee hit and the balls generation, especially after a long period of constant attacking.

Oh that makes sense. It seems that PoB just makes the mistake of universally treating the ball attack speed as being projectile-based instead of realizing that it's triggered by the melee hit so it should use the melee tag for attack speed.

https://github.com/Openarl/PathOfBuilding/issues/241

"
    xhul wrote:
    Oh, and about what you said earlier, do you mean that your calculator already takes into account those POB flaws ?

Unfortunately not. It's not hard to add them to the calculator, but I've found that people get confused if I add too many boxes. As a result, I've tried to minimize the ones people need to type in.

I've added a "Usage Notes" section to the original post highlighting the issues you raised. Thanks for the feedback and let me know if you see anything else that can be improved.
    2.6 BLS Berserker budget shaper farmer build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1882710
    My pleasure, and thanks for the reply.

If you ever consider changing your mind, you could entirely fix all the attack rate issues on your side by using 3 user fields, instead of the current 2 :
    A : POB's Molten Strike Melee Hit Total DPS (same as on current sheet)
    B : POB's Molten Strike Melee Hit Attack Rate
    C : POB's Molten Strike Magma Balls Average Damage (accurate for both RT and crit, i checked)
    Those 3 values are all on the left in POB, so the user wouldn't even need to go to "Calcs".
    Then whenever you need to refer to the actual Magma Balls Total DPS in other cell formulas, you just use B*C.
    Your call, but it's as easy as that.

Great calculator, cheers =]
    Last edited by xhul on Jul 28, 2018, 6:05:41 PM
    I'd like to make sure I am understanding all your usage and instructions. I'm planning on starting with a previous build at the pastebin below and modifying it from there and want to use my changes in PoB with your sheet to min/max it.

https://pastebin.com/HMbgCuhy

So in that pastebin I see:
    Melee Hit DPS is 271848
    Magma Balls DPS is 184781
    1) But based on your statement about having to remove Point Blank I guess I need to edit the Grelwood to remove it off the weapon which would make the Magma Balls DPS 123173
    2) Then you say we have to multiply it by 1.94 which makes it 238955

Is there a place in PoB that summarizes the AoE entries for your spreadsheet that I'm missing? I think that build has none, but just curious.

So with 2 wildfire's, helm, and assuming ive been hit recently with Grelwood I should have 12 balls.

So I enter the following into your 7 green boxes: 271848, 238955, 0%, 0%, 3, TRUE, 12
    Which results in 2,271,423 single target DPS

Did I do all this correctly? If you start with that pastebin do you end up with the same result?

"
    ZeroCloud wrote:
    I'd like to make sure I am understanding all your usage and instructions. I'm planning on starting with a previous build at the pastebin below and modifying it from there and want to use my changes in PoB with your sheet to min/max it.

https://pastebin.com/HMbgCuhy

So in that pastebin I see:
    Melee Hit DPS is 271848
    Magma Balls DPS is 184781
    1) But based on your statement about having to remove Point Blank I guess I need to edit the Grelwood to remove it off the weapon which would make the Magma Balls DPS 123173
    2) Then you say we have to multiply it by 1.94 which makes it 238955

Is there a place in PoB that summarizes the AoE entries for your spreadsheet that I'm missing? I think that build has none, but just curious.

So with 2 wildfire's, helm, and assuming ive been hit recently with Grelwood I should have 12 balls.

So I enter the following into your 7 green boxes: 271848, 238955, 0%, 0%, 3, TRUE, 12
    Which results in 2,271,423 single target DPS

Did I do all this correctly? If you start with that pastebin do you end up with the same result?

Your final DPS estimate is close to correct, but there are a few mistakes in entering the numbers. Here's what I did based on your pastebin.

• In the POB configuration tab, remove the "5" from Point Blank. POB calculated point blank effects completely incorrectly for molten strike so it's better to let the calculator do all the work. That's easier than deleting the point blank mod from Grelwood. This should make the magma ball DPS in POB be 123,173.7.
    • Put 271,848 into the melee hit dps box in the calculator (as you already did).
    • Put 242,451 into the magma ball dps box. This should be the correct value after fixing the multistrike bug in POB (it uses the wrong attack speed). We get this value by taking pobBallDps * pobMeleeAPS / pobBallAPS = 123173.7 * 11.2 / 5.69 = 242451.
    • For increased AoE, use 50% because of the two wildfire jewels.
    • For More/Less AoE, put -30% because of Concentrated Effect.
    • For enemy radius, 3 is fine.
    • Keep point blank as true.
    • 12 balls

Using those numbers, I see 2.3m DPS without flasks.

BTW, I've been working on a new calculator that uses javascript, has more intuitive inputs, and explains things better. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it in the next few weeks.
    2.6 BLS Berserker budget shaper farmer build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1882710
    The main post has been updated. The calculator has been ported to a Javascript implementation.

I got super confused reading this trying to keep track of what was missing in different people's calculations while also using the tools. All I want to know is what supports to use single target. People seem to like:

1. Ancestral Call 2. Multistrike 3. Elemental Damage with Attacks 4. Elemental Focus 5. Damage on Full life 6. Conc. Effect 7. Increased Area of Effect 8. Elemental Focus.

Could someone please nail down the best 5 for single target and explain it to me using math?

Note: you can get double balls with Ancestral Call vs a single target by standing a certain distance away from the target (otherwise this would be an obvious swap out).

Thank You!
    the best 5 for molten strike balls are

1. molten strike
    2. ele dmg with attacks
    3. ele focus
    4. conc effect
    5. multistrike
    6. ancestral call/added fire

assuming you have full fire damage conversion and point blank spec'd into the tree

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info