Scaeva - End game viable?

"
BobHunter1 wrote:

Could you share your main attack gem and its links? Also is the build focused on offence or defense? I don't know what average clear time is for most players, but 1 map in 10 - 15mins should be good for me.

Sure, attack gem link is in my helm:

It's a pretty balanced mix, maybe a little more weighted towards defence as he began in HC (ripped at level 90 because I suck at Atziri-ing). Note that even though Scaeva is the only weapon that deals damage with Lacerate, it is technically an off-hand:

I valued 8% block more than 60-80% global critical strike chance.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
Probably not as it was clearly designed as a high crit sword but the 60-80% crit modifier isn't actually local despite being listed as such.

To be entirely anal about these things:
Conditional modifiers are always global. It is listed as a conditional modifier, and is thus implicitly also listed as a global modifier. :)

------
Scaeva's a fine offhand for fake-dualwielding: using a Skill that is only compatible with the non-Scaeva weapon, and using Scaeva for its passive bonuses. An off-hand that grants 80% Inc Crit (or 8% Block) and 30% Crit Mult is pretty nifty.

While true, there is now buffed Princess in the game paired with Advancing Fortress. :V No crit chance, but one is Hatred without mana reservation, and the other is way bigger block chance with built in Fortify for your movement skill and some defensive stats. :2

Other than that, I don't think Scaeva is that great end-game wise. DPS is nice until you can replace it with good rolled rare.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Get BoR, Scaeva and Snakebite. Shield can be anything (Thousand Teeth Temu, Lioneye's, Great Old One's Ward, Aegis Aurora, The Surrender, Lycosidae). The other items can be anything from random rares to multiple uniques for some slots (belt: rare, belt of the deceiver or meginord's; boots: rares, Redblade Tramplers, Kaom's Roots). The maximum DPS output will be with Old One's Ward, Redblade Tramplers, belt of the deceiver (for the intimidate aura), two good diamond rings and a well-rolled flat phys / crit multi amulet. The only really expensive part here is the jewelry, and you can easily get much cheaper versions. Will need at least one good accuracy roll on jewelry, or two average ones.

Get this passive tree:

click

Once again, there are a number of ways to go about it, including a different configuration like this one.

Auras: hatred and herald of ash

The end result will be more or less the same. Max block, max spell block (if you've been hit recently and with CwdT - tempest shield), 5000 to 6500 life depending on gear, level and minmaxing and 130 to 200k DPS (including poison), not counting vaal lightning trap, ancestral warchief, diamond flask and other buffs. If you buff hard for a boss, you can easily get to 300k peak dps and more. With the most DPS-oriented gear and all buffs, you can bring it to 500k peak in Path of Building.

This is, IMO, endgame viable at a very affordable budget. These items are dirt cheap in SC leagues and affordable in HC.

The only weakness will be the hitpoint pool. You can get oneshot at 6k life, easily. You have to dodge some shit. The 75/75 block helps a great deal, of course. Although this is a significant weakness, it's the same for almost all life-based builds, and this life-based build has a much better offense/defense ratio than most others. And we should better get used to it, considering ES will be pretty much deleted from the game in 3.0 if half of the dev manifesto is true.

TLDR: IMO it can be a viable endgame weapon with a gladiator if you build it right and if you don't define "endgame viable" as "I delete guardians in seconds lul". You can also use it with other ascendancies and other builds to be endgame viable (jugger, berserker, raider, pathfinder, assassin, trickster).
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on May 23, 2017, 2:39:40 AM
If your goal is to do Alkaizer's Gladiator, the weapon is the least of your worries. Surrender is about 150 chaos, Red Nightmare is 6 ex, and Atziri's Acuity is almost 30 ex right now.

The other problem is that you do want bleed on the weapon, that's why it's self crafted. You don't absolutely require it, but it's good to have.

In all honestly, it depends what you want from the build. If all you want is T10 maps, then yeah, you can skip the expensive items and use Scaeva. But if want to do Shaper, well, his build might not even be Shaper viable with the best gear. He designed it to push to 100 in hardcore, not to farm Shaper. He did a couple Guardians, but it took him a long time. It was a fairly safe, but poor DPS. I don't think the build would survive Shaper's third phase, since that phase is mostly a DPS check.

If you want to use Scaeva, you should build specifically for it (like the poster above me suggested) instead of using Alk's build.
"
adghar wrote:
Sure, attack gem link is in my helm:

It's a pretty balanced mix, maybe a little more weighted towards defence as he began in HC (ripped at level 90 because I suck at Atziri-ing). Note that even though Scaeva is the only weapon that deals damage with Lacerate, it is technically an off-hand:

I valued 8% block more than 60-80% global critical strike chance.

Thank you, is your only source of Cold Damage coming from Hatred Aura? The 39% more damage seems like a great idea. I was considering Bloodlust Support only to find that it will disable my Blade Flurry from causing Bleed, which doesn't make sense at all since my chance to Bleed will come from my Gladiator Ascendency. And Critical Supports are going to be bad because of the Scaeva Global Modifier thing. AoE was also nerfed.

Would linking Blade Flurry, Faster Attack, Melee Physical Damage, Added Fire Damage, Added Chaos Damage the best DPS if I take Dirty Techniques Node?

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Bloodlust_Support
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Dirty_Techniques

"
Perq wrote:
Other than that, I don't think Scaeva is that great end-game wise. DPS is nice until you can replace it with good rolled rare.

Thanks for the input, I'll lookout for rare swords while mapping to compare with Scaeva.

"
Bars wrote:
Get BoR, Scaeva and Snakebite. Shield can be anything (Thousand Teeth Temu, Lioneye's, Great Old One's Ward, Aegis Aurora, The Surrender, Lycosidae). The other items can be anything from random rares to multiple uniques for some slots (belt: rare, belt of the deceiver or meginord's; boots: rares, Redblade Tramplers, Kaom's Roots). The maximum DPS output will be with Old One's Ward, Redblade Tramplers, belt of the deceiver (for the intimidate aura), two good diamond rings and a well-rolled flat phys / crit multi amulet. The only really expensive part here is the jewelry, and you can easily get much cheaper versions. Will need at least one good accuracy roll on jewelry, or two average ones.

Get this passive tree:

click

Once again, there are a number of ways to go about it, including a different configuration like this one.

The end result will be more or less the same. Max block, max spell block (if you've been hit recently and with CwdT - tempest shield), 5000 to 6500 life depending on gear, level and minmaxing and 130 to 200k DPS (including poison), not counting vaal lightning trap, ancestral warchief, diamond flask and other buffs. If you buff hard for a boss, you can easily get to 300k peak dps and more. With the most DPS-oriented gear and all buffs, you can bring it to 500k peak in Path of Building.

This is, IMO, endgame viable at a very affordable budget. These items are dirt cheap in SC leagues and affordable in HC.

The only weakness will be the hitpoint pool. You can get oneshot at 6k life, easily. You have to dodge some shit. The 75/75 block helps a great deal, of course. Although this is a significant weakness, it's the same for almost all life-based builds, and this life-based build has a much better offense/defense ratio than most others. And we should better get used to it, considering ES will be pretty much deleted from the game in 3.0 if half of the dev manifesto is true.

TLDR: IMO it can be a viable endgame weapon with a gladiator if you build it right and if you don't define "endgame viable" as "I delete guardians in seconds lul". You can also use it with other ascendancies and other builds to be endgame viable (jugger, berserker, raider, pathfinder, assassin, trickster).

Thank you

Would Belt of the Deceiver always grant more DPS than Meginord? I tried swapping in Meginord & Rustic Sashes at low levels & Meginord always give much higher boost to DPS.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Meginord%27s_Girdle
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Belt_of_the_Deceiver

This Build you linked doesn't have any Poison damage right?

"
poepoe091 wrote:
If your goal is to do Alkaizer's Gladiator, the weapon is the least of your worries. Surrender is about 150 chaos, Red Nightmare is 6 ex, and Atziri's Acuity is almost 30 ex right now.

The other problem is that you do want bleed on the weapon, that's why it's self crafted. You don't absolutely require it, but it's good to have.

Thank you, I really was not aware of the cost at all & initially thought that Surrender was the most expensive item from his build...

Could you explain why I need Bleed on the weapon? Gladiator Ascendency already provide 25 - 50% Bleed. Would sword with Bleed allow Bloodlust Support to work while its linked to my Blade Flurry?

"
poepoe091 wrote:
In all honestly, it depends what you want from the build. If all you want is T10 maps, then yeah, you can skip the expensive items and use Scaeva. But if want to do Shaper, well, his build might not even be Shaper viable with the best gear. He designed it to push to 100 in hardcore, not to farm Shaper. He did a couple Guardians, but it took him a long time. It was a fairly safe, but poor DPS. I don't think the build would survive Shaper's third phase, since that phase is mostly a DPS check.

If you want to use Scaeva, you should build specifically for it (like the poster above me suggested) instead of using Alk's build.

Thank you, that's a very good point. My experience so far, unfortunately, has only been mapping with 0 end game bosses due to the starting cost of boss maps. I was hoping this build could do Lab, Atziri, and maybe Guardian. I wanted tanky build 1st so I wouldn't waste all the map TPs.
"
BobHunter1 wrote:

Thank you, is your only source of Cold Damage coming from Hatred Aura? The 39% more damage seems like a great idea. I was considering Bloodlust Support only to find that it will disable my Blade Flurry from causing Bleed, which doesn't make sense at all since my chance to Bleed will come from my Gladiator Ascendency. And Critical Supports are going to be bad because of the Scaeva Global Modifier thing. AoE was also nerfed.

Would linking Blade Flurry, Faster Attack, Melee Physical Damage, Added Fire Damage, Added Chaos Damage the best DPS if I take Dirty Techniques Node?

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Dirty_Techniques

Not sure what would be the best DPS, but yes, Hatred is my only source of Cold Damage - but I also use Arctic Armour, which leaves Chilled Ground, and Chilled Ground guarantees Chill status on any enemy standing on it as long as they are not Immune. So it doesn't matter how much Cold Damage I deal; I can get easy and guaranteed Chill on bosses whenever I need by using Whirling Blades through them to leave Chilled Ground under them.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
BobHunter1 wrote:

"
Bars wrote:

Get this passive tree:

click

Thank you

Would Belt of the Deceiver always grant more DPS than Meginord? I tried swapping in Meginord & Rustic Sashes at low levels & Meginord always give much higher boost to DPS.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Meginord%27s_Girdle
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Belt_of_the_Deceiver

This Build you linked doesn't have any Poison damage right?

Belt of the Deceiver gives an Intimidate aura. Intimidated enemies receive 10% increased physical damage. That doesn't show in your DPS tooltip, but it's there.

At lower levels, while your weapon's base damage is low, Meginord's will give you a better DPS boost. When you equip the Scaeva with its high base damage, the flat damage added by Meginord's should be less of a boost overall compared to the increased phys damage from Belt of the Deceiver and the intimidate aura.

A slight addition, the wording of it is "intimidated enemies receive 10% increased physical damage", which is a bit misleading. It's actually a "more" multiplier.

About damage multipliers in PoE:
Spoiler

Let's say you deal 100 base damage. You get 30% increased damage from somewhere. You now deal 130 damage. You got a 30% increase. Pretty simple.

Now let's say you already have 400% increased damage. With your 100 base damage, you will deal 500. You now add 30% increased damage on top of that. Your damage will become 530. The 30% increased damage you added increased your total damage by roughly 6%.

What does this mean? It means the more increased damage you add, the less effective it becomes.

When you see a "more" multiplier, however, things are different. A 30% more multiplier will always increase your total damage output by 30%, flat out. You deal 500 damage, you get 30% more dmg from somewhere, you now deal 650 damage.

A bit more about the confusing wording in PoE:

Passives which say "you deal X increased damage" are increased damage.
Passives which say "enemies receive X increased damage" are multipliers, i.e. more damage. Intimidate gives you 10% more physical damage against the intimidated enemy, and it doesn't show in the tooltip.

About the poison damage, although this build doesn't scale poison damage off the passive tree, it's still a decent boost and it double dips with concentrated effect and crits. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it gives you about 30% more damage on top of what you're dealing. It's not a build enabler, it's a bonus - you can easily use some other pair of gloves there, like a well-rolled pair of spiked gloves or whatever.

The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on May 26, 2017, 2:50:56 AM
@BobHunter1

Bleed on the weapon is only QoL. Like I said, not mandatory, but good to have. 100% bleed to proc the Acendacy really helps the clear speed. Same goes for the other gear, tbh. Red Nightmare gives you 13% block, but you can do without it. Atziri's Acuity give you instant leech, but you can do without that as well. Even Surrender isn't completely mandatory.

Problem is, when all these compromises pile up, you end up with a shadow of the build that just isn't as powerful or as smooth.

So, yeah, your best bet is to follow the advice of the other posters and do something budget. Better to have a fully functional budget build than a shell of Alk's build, IMO.
"
Bars wrote:
A slight addition, the wording of it is "intimidated enemies receive 10% increased
physical damage", which is a bit misleading. It's actually a "more" multiplier.
[..]
Passives which say "you deal X increased damage" are increased damage.
Passives which say "enemies receive X increased damage" are multipliers, i.e. more damage. Intimidate gives you 10% more physical damage against the intimidated enemy, and it doesn't show in the tooltip.

Moreso for other people than for you, Bars, but:
Intimidate is still an Increased-type modifier - it is additive with all other sources of Increased/Reduced Damage Taken, such as Shock and Fortify. The reason it's multiplicative (and why people incorrectly call it More-type) is due to Damage Taken being a defender-side modifier, which is an entirely separate calculation to the attacker-side Damage dealt.
Last edited by Vipermagi on May 26, 2017, 6:30:31 AM
my gear on build that used to use a scaeva until t14s or so :

Spoiler

Also using a nightmare jewel for endurance charges and keeping this piece of armour for 6l :

As its almost bis cause of lightning resistance which I try to stack.

Stopped playing this build mid-league, so it's not yet optimized as it should be, but there is no need.

I wouldn't call scaeva endgame viable, but it will carry you for quite a while.
Spreading salt since 2006

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info