Changes to the Labyrinth

I'm happy to see that so many people who share my hatred of the lab are stepping up and voicing their displeasure, and I really hope that GGG actually does something to make this an optional part of the game for those that enjoy it, rather than forcing it down our throats by gating a major part of character progression behind it (ascendancy).

On the other hand I'm also sad to see that (in an otherwise very friendly and helpful community) many of the people who do enjoy the lab also seem to be incredibly toxic human beings, and call people "noob" and "scrub" and say things like "git gud", when in fact most of us are neither "noobs" nor "scrubs" and have been playing the game for a long time and are plenty skilled. And many of these players also seem to enjoy the fact that other people are forced to do something they hate. I mean, what kind of sick person are you to revel in the displeasure of others? What if the shoe was on the other foot and the only way to gain ascendancy was to [insert your most hated game aspect here]? How would you feel then? I digress...

Are we able to complete the lab? YES. Do we enjoy it? The answer seems to be a resounding NO. All those people who are saying "remove lab" don't actually mean they want it removed from the game outright (that will never happen, so all the lab lovers can rest easy), what they want is to not be forced to do something they despise as an integral part to the building of their characters, and saying "remove it" is just an easy way to express their unhappiness with the system.

In conclusion, please please PLEASE GGG, give us another way to gain ascendancy and you will make a lot of people very, very happy.
"
VigilanteCat wrote:
I'm happy to see that so many people who share my hatred of the lab are stepping up and voicing their displeasure

Been ongoing since Ascendancy, nothing new. lol

"
VigilanteCat wrote:
On the other hand I'm also sad to see that (in an otherwise very friendly and helpful community) many of the people who do enjoy the lab also seem to be incredibly toxic human beings, and call people "noob" and "scrub" and say things like "git gud", when in fact most of us are neither "noobs" nor "scrubs" and have been playing the game for a long time and are plenty skilled.

Well, to be fair, in a lot of those cases it's really a l2p issue. If you're coming to the forums to rage post "fuck the lab, izaro 1 shot me" then you probably need to "git gud". :P

Also, your existing skills are irrelevant if you're tackling new content that has mechanics that you don't understand. And some have shown they are unwilling to learn or even try.
"
VigilanteCat wrote:
What if the shoe was on the other foot and the only way to gain ascendancy was to [insert your most hated game aspect here]? How would you feel then? I digress...

I'd man-up and beat that shit. Or I'd go play something else if it was too big of an issue to move past. But I wouldn't linger here for any extended period of time trying to change a game I no longer play.

"
VigilanteCat wrote:
All those people who are saying "remove lab" don't actually mean they want it removed from the game outright (that will never happen, so all the lab lovers can rest easy), what they want is to not be forced to do something they despise as an integral part to the building of their characters, and saying "remove it" is just an easy way to express their unhappiness with the system.

I think we already were "resting easy" on this one, this was the best chance for a major change to the laby system. But that didn't happen.

Shorter norm laby and less trials are fucking fantastic though!

Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
I should add that I ran uber lab many, many times on my main character last league (trying for a good helm enchant on my Abyssus, HUGE waste of time LOL). I also got through it on my main this league as well with no real issues, so in my case at least, it's definitely not a l2p issue. The main problem I have with it (though there are a lot of issues with it, to be sure) is that some characters are simply not viable in uber lab, yet ascendancy is a major part of character progression.

For example, my Herald Autobomber (who is incredibly fun to play, and the Gloom Herald of Ice MTX is beautiful to behold), is simply not capable of killing uber Izaro on his own. No problem with traps due to Phase Run and Adrenaline Quicksilvers, but without the availability of Vaal RF as a boss nuke, uber will simply not be possible without a carry. On the other hand, my Sprinkler Berserker can facetank anything and melts every boss he has faced but has a problem with traps due to his relatively low HP pool and poor mobility. He could run it if I put in the effort but as I mentioned, I hate lab and he's ok enough without the last 2 points so I just shelved him and made a new character.

As a bit of a perfectionist though, it really irks me to have characters on my roster at endgame who feel incomplete, and oftentimes when all that's left for my build is uber lab, the thought of running it again for the umpteenth time just makes me log out and play something else or just go to bed. That just seems like poor game design to me when someone would rather log out of the game than actually finish their character.

Thanks to Shovelcut for responding to my post though, I agree with your sentiment for the most part and I honestly appreciate the feedback!
Last edited by VigilanteCat on May 18, 2017, 3:05:22 AM
Why can't you make a questline for ascendancys and remove them from lab? I belive this whole lab only exists to make a few players rich because most players just hate it...
Just remove the lab please. Making it shorter will alleviate some frustration, but far from eliminate it.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. " ~ Hunter S Thompson ~
The lab is the reason I don't play any of the new leagues anymore.
Ok great, but what is gonna happen to existing characters in standard and hardcore?
What if i have unlocked all labs but i didn't complete them?
Two more to make a round number, 100 new account names added to the list from just this one thread for a total list length of 874. Over 320 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 870 posters in support

Thank you to all 100 for voicing your opinion on the disliked labyrinth. As the list grows longer our voice grows stronger.

"
Misterskill wrote:
The lab is the reason I don't play any of the new leagues anymore.

"
SppokyVega wrote:
Why can't you make a questline for ascendancys and remove them from lab? I belive this whole lab only exists to make a few players rich because most players just hate it...
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
Last edited by Turtledove on May 18, 2017, 8:08:41 AM
"
Shovelcut wrote:
"
VigilanteCat wrote:
What if the shoe was on the other foot and the only way to gain ascendancy was to [insert your most hated game aspect here]? How would you feel then? I digress...

I'd man-up and beat that shit. Or I'd go play something else if it was too big of an issue to move past. But I wouldn't linger here for any extended period of time trying to change a game I no longer play.

I'm pleased that we can agree on Labyrinth being shit. (Although I'm not adding your name to the list unless you explicitly request it.)

I now play D3 instead of PoE but still come to these forums because PoE was a great game. It appears to be getting better with the 3.0 announcement! Unfortunately, D3 is more fun for me to play right now because of the Labyrinth. I hope that voicing my opinion will help GGG to significantly improve the game for those of us that don't like the Labyrinth style game play that differs from the great game play in the rest of PoE. When I tire of the relative lack of depth in D3, I hope that Labyrinth will be made optional or improved enough that my favorite game of all time will be great again!
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
Turtledove wrote:
"
Shovelcut wrote:
"
VigilanteCat wrote:

I'm pleased that we can agree on Labyrinth being shit. (Although I'm not adding your name to the list unless you explicitly request it.)

I now play D3 instead of PoE but still come to these forums because PoE was a great game. It appears to be getting better with the 3.0 announcement! Unfortunately, D3 is more fun for me to play right now because of the Labyrinth. I hope that voicing my opinion will help GGG to significantly improve the game for those of us that don't like the Labyrinth style game play that differs from the great game play in the rest of PoE. When I tire of the relative lack of depth in D3, I hope that Labyrinth will be made optional or improved enough that my favorite game of all time will be great again!

You do realize that the Labyrinth is entirely optional, don't you

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info