[3.0] HC/SC Nowlech's Trickster Essence Drain (LifeMoM/CI/LL) ~Shaper and Uber Atziri! Videos!

Hi there! This is my Lowlife Essence Drain Build Guide! This build can do any content in the game, from when you get Essence Drain in act 1 to Shaper and Uber Atziri!

Update:
I'm level 84 at this time, and I picked up "Walk the Aether" Ascendancy instead of "Ghost Dance" because I wanted a smoother mapping experience. Feel free to do that as well. I have done all the labs and on meh gear. I'm at 4.7k life, with 1.1k mana unreserved, since I took all of my damage nodes first, all I have left is to fill out life on the tree.

My gear at level 84

This is what my tree looks like at level 84

Check down below for how I leveled this character in the spoiler tab called "Life/MoM Based Version - My 3.0 Starter"

Update Number 2:

I'm currently working on a more hybrid version using
these new gloves. Since we don't get life on there I might start respeccing out of some pure life nodes, and go for more hybrid ones like Written in Blood and Melding.
These gloves give us a LOT more single target damage and more damage over all with a Blight totem taking over our wither totem, I'm also using two of the new Spreading Rot jewels for Blight as well. This also means we lose out on our 3 link CWDT - Immortal Call - Inc Duration, which I don't reccomend for HC players, but it is fun in softcore :D

Will update again tomorrow!

3.0 Changes
Patch notes came out today, and I could not be more excited about this build.

I AM starting with this build in 3.0, and will be updating/replying to comments almost every day.

We are no longer using poison... Yes I hate to say it but it's true. Poison does nothing for us anymore, but instead of poison we got a lot of buffs and 2 new support gems for us. (Efficacy and Arcane Surge)

With the addition of adding power charges to the Swift Killer Ascendancy, and giving 5% more damage over time per power/frenzy charge, we are now taking that instead of Shade Form in all of the versions of this build.

8,000 Energy Shield is what we will probably be looking at on our LL Version, and 10,000 Energy Shield for CI, with better recharge rate as well - a huge loss yes, but we all knew it was coming.

Essence drain got a 43% increase in damage, while contagion also got a buff in damage and AOE/faster casting.

Witchfire Brew got a nerf, but a well rolled one means you only lose out on an extra 10% (But in reality gaining 30+% from the buffs to ED)

We got some new support gems and I will include those in the gem setup section.

I am currently working on a life based version, and a more thorough CI version now.

Important Note
I LOVE ESSENCE DRAIN BUILDS AND I LOVE GGG FOR BUFFING IT IN 3.0

__________________________________________________________________________________

Pros and Cons

Pros
-Very high Damage
-Tanky with how our ascendancy works
-Easily get over 9k ES or 5k Life with 1500 Unreserved Mana
-Can do any map mod
-Can clear any content
-HC Viable if you wanna do that
-Can take down a whole screen in a second with 1 cast
-Insane amount of Health Regen when you are clearing packs

Cons
-Not the "fastest" map clearer
-Not the best in parties (Which is perfectly fine if you love playing solo like me)

2.6 Low Life Videos

Sorry if I keep my map up, I'm not used to recording so just try to ignore it until I realize it.

Pit of the Chimera

Had a stupid death but pretty clean otherwise
https://youtu.be/1kbncqAm1SQ

Forge of the Phoenix

Maze of the Minotaur

Lair of the Hydra

Uber Lab Full Key Run

What's different with this from other ED builds?

-I focused on being able to use whirling blades most of the time for getting around. So I made sure I got quite a bit of attack speed on my gloves and my dagger.

-I wanted BOTH Damage and a High Life Pool/Life Regen.

-Mind over Matter for our Life Version of this buiild.

-Weave of the Arcane gives us plenty of mana to work with, a 25% increase which is huge. Enabling us to use 2 Curses and Arctic Armour.
It also gives us insane mana regen, paired along with clarity, and you got free Whirling Blades and Contagions!
Whenever you use a skill you have a chance to regain most of your unreserved mana, which is perfect for ED, since you want to spam ED to get poison stacks, and not worry about using a mana flask all the time.
And just for an added bonus, it gives us 8% reduced damage taken for 4 seconds after using 200 mana!

Life/MoM Based Version - My 3.0 Starter

I have taken MoM with around 1500 unreserved mana for us to work with, and 166% Inc Life from the tree. I have dropped Vulnerability from Blasphemy and now we only get it from our Witchfire Brew.

Here is a PoB link for the life based version, which is what I'm going to be starting with in 3.0

https://pastebin.com/AG7nvXMe

Life Gem Links

Essence Drain - Efficacy - Void Manipulation - Swift Affliction - Controlled Destruction - Empower level 3/4

Contagion - Increased Area of Effect - Faster Casting - Arcane Surge

Wither - Spell Totem - UNLINKED Summon Flame Golem

Whirling Blades(Or Shield Charge) Level 1 20% Quality - Faster Attacks - Fortify

Blasphemy - Temporal Chains - Enlighten level 2/3 - Abyssal Cry

Cast when Damage Taken(Level 1) - Immortal Call(Level 3) - Increased Duration(Level as much as you can) - UNLINKED Clarity

Life - Bandits

Kill All. Always

Ascendancies

Why Trickster of course!

Normal - Patient Reaper
30% increased Damage over Time
70% increased Recovery Rate of Life, Mana and Energy Shield if you've Killed an Enemy affected by your Damage Over Time Recently

Cruel - Swift Killer
+1 to Maximum Frenzy Charges and Maximum Power Charges
5% increased damage over time per Frenzy Charge
5% increased damage over time per Power Charge
15% Chance to gain a Frenzy Charge and a Power Charge on Kill

Merciless - Weave of the Arcane
25% increased maximum Mana
50% increased Mana Regeneration Rate
20% chance to Recover 10% of Maximum Mana when you use a Skill
Reduce damage taken by 8% if you have spent a total of 200 mana recently.

Uber - Ghost Dance
20% faster start of Energy Shield Recharge
5% chance to Dodge Attacks
5% chance to Dodge Spell Damage
10% increased Movement Speed while on Full Energy Shield

Life Flasks

Our most important Flask we use is the Witchfire Brew Stibnite Flask. We utilize the Vulnerability curse it gives us (a Level 21 Vulnerability makes cursed enemies take 33% more damage over time) and also gives us between 25-40% more damage over time. Try to get one with at least 35% damage over time.

__________________________________________________________________________________

We use 1 Life flask. I like Seething Divine Life flasks of Staunching for instant recovery and of course the bleeding immunity.

Unfortunately we still do have to use a Mana flask. It's only really needed on bosses, but it's nice to have JUST in case. Try to roll Immunity to curses on this one. (I am looking and hating on you silence curse)

We use a Quicksilver flask for that juicy movement speed.
Try to roll the suffix "of Adrenaline" for even more movement speed.

And our last flask is one you can replace if you feel needed.
I use a Basalt Flask just for a little more added defense, and again I rolled reduced charges so I can use it twice.
And of course it is where we get our Freeze Immunity from.

*IMPORTANT* If you decide to replace any of these flasks, you NEED to roll both Bleed and Freeze Immunity

Life Jewels

% increased maximum Life
%increased maximum Mana
%increased Spell Damage
%increased Damage over time

CI Version

I will be respeccing into CI after a while from my 3.0 Starter once I have all the gear. I'm not even sure that CI is better than Life/MoM at this point, but I do want to try to see how the build works as CI now.

Notice I don't wear an Eye of Chayula! That's because of the All New Pantheon System! There is a passive on the pantheon system that states "You cannot be stunned if you were stunned recently" (Recently refers to the past 4 seconds) Now that is up to you whether you want to rely on the Pantheon system. Currently we lose around 600-700 ES if we put on an Eye of Chayula with what I have in PoB.
If it turns out to be a terrible idea, then I will change to an Eye of Chayula for sure, but as for now, I really want this Pantheon System Passive to work.

PoB Pastebin link here:

https://pastebin.com/m5V0jsRW

CI Based Tree Link for those who don't have Path of Building:

CI Bandits

Kill All. Always

For CI we drop Vulnerability from Blasphemy and grab Discipline instead. We still get our Vulnerability from our Witchfire Brew, but it's not up at all times now.

CI Gem Links

Essence Drain - Efficacy - Void Manipulation - Swift Affliction - Controlled Destruction - Empower level 3/4

Wither - Spell Totem - UNLINKED Summon Flame Golem

Whirling Blades(Or Shield Charge) Level 1 20% Quality - Faster Attacks - Fortify

Discipline - Blasphemy - Temporal Chains - Enlighten level 2/3

Cast when Damage Taken(Level 1) - Immortal Call(Level 3) - Increased Duration(Level as much as you can) - UNLINKED Clarity (Level 10 is my preferred level for CI/Life with not much mana on gear)

Ascendancies

Why Trickster of course!

Normal - Patient Reaper
30% increased Damage over Time
70% increased Recovery Rate of Life, Mana and Energy Shield if you've Killed an Enemy affected by your Damage Over Time Recently

Cruel - Swift Killer
+1 to Maximum Frenzy Charges and Maximum Power Charges
5% increased damage over time per Frenzy Charge
5% increased damage over time per Power Charge
15% Chance to gain a Frenzy Charge and a Power Charge on Kill

Merciless - Ghost Dance
20% faster start of Energy Shield Recharge
5% chance to Dodge Attacks
5% chance to Dodge Spell Damage
10% increased Movement Speed while on Full Energy Shield

Uber - Shade Form
+500 to Evasion Rating
+250 to maximum Energy Shield
20% increased Attack and Cast Speed if Energy
Shield Recharge has started Recently
20% more chance to Evade Attacks while not on full Energy Shield

CI Flasks

Our most important Flask we use is the Witchfire Brew Stibnite Flask. We utilize the Vulnerability curse it gives us (a Level 21 Vulnerability makes cursed enemies take 33% more damage over time) and also gives us between 25-40% more damage over time. Try to get one with at least 35% damage over time.

The second most important flask is out Sulphur Flask. It gives up 40% more damage and it allows us to regen some health if we are standing in it's circle of goodness. Try to roll Bleed Immunity on this flask.

Unfortunately we still do have to use a mana flask. It's only really needed on bosses when you just start spamming ED. Other than that you will rarely find yourself using it. Try to roll Immunity to curses on this one. (I am looking and hating on you silence curse)

We use a Quicksilver flask for that juicy movement speed.
Try to roll the suffix "of Adrenaline" for even more movement speed.

I use a Basalt Flask just for a little more added defense, and again I rolled reduced charges so I can use it twice.

*IMPORTANT* If you decide to replace any of these flasks, you NEED to roll both Bleed and Freeze Immunity

CI Jewels

Here is a list of useful stats on a jewel:
%increased maximum Energy Shield
%increased Chaos Damage
%increased Spell Damage
%increased Spell Damage while holding a shield
%increased Damage Over Time

Enchantments

Helm - 40% Essence Drain Damage

Gloves - We have a couple to choose from
-Of Light (Creates Consecrated Ground, Allowing you to regen some health
-Of Spite (Releases a nova of projectiles, leaving chilling ground.

Boots - Again a few to choose from but Regen 2% of life and mana if you were hit recently is our BIS
- Regen 2% of life and mana if you were hit recently
-10% Chance to Dodge if you've taken a Critical Strike Recently
-8% chance to Dodge Spell Damage if you've taken Spell Damage Recently

Below you will find the information for the 2.6 Low Life Version of this build.
I am not sure if it will even be worth going LL in 3.0 anymore due to how much ES got nerfed. I will build this in PoB and you can decide for yourself if you want to try it or not.

LL 3.0 Changes

Path of Building link - https://pastebin.com/AFvZ3nTm

It looks like, with TOP END and I mean, Exalts and Exalts worth of gear, it's worth to go Lowlife. If you just want to destroy every boss and have a decent amount of energy shield then yes, go lowlife. But as for now, it looks like LL is dead unless you have an insane amount of currency laying around.

LL Gem Setups

These are listed from most important to least.

6link
Essence Drain -Efficacy - Void Manipulation - Swift Affliction - Controlled Destruction - Empower level 3 (4 if you have enough currency to get one)

Contagion Setup

Curses
Blasphemy - Temporal Chains - Enfeeble (if you want to be safe) or Vulnerability (if you're going offensive) - Enlighten level 3

Movement
Whirling Blades (Level 1) - Faster Attacks - Fortify

Auras
Blood Magic(Level 19 or up) - Discipline - Clarity - UNLINKED Arctic Armour

Wither
Wither - Spell Totem Support - UNLINKED Summon Flame Golem

LL Gear

Chest piece
Of course we NEED a Shavronne's Wrappings since we are lowlife

You could use a High ES Vaal Regalia with some resists if you are going CI

Weapon
We use a Sai for the implicit only "6% Chance to Block"

Crafted with an Essence of Delirium until I got a good attack speed roll.
Also you need to be able to have an open prefix to craft %spell damage if you didn't get it on the dagger Essence craft itself.

Helm
Just buy a 40% Essence Drain Damage and Chaos spam until you get either good resists or High ES
I luckily got both.

Gloves
Again we are looking for attack speed, so try to get some with %attack speed - Resists - energy shield

Boots
Brinerot Whalers are our BIS but if you cannot figure out resists, High ES rare boots with a lot of resists are very good too.

Brinerot only give us about 1.5k more DOT tooltip damage so don't worry about those until very late game.

Shield
Just fill out Resists here and get good ES

Amulet
Presence of Chayula of course. Good amount of ES and Stun Immunity. What more can I say.

FYI. Most of the time it is cheaper to buy the Blessing of Chayula and an uncorrupted Eye of Chayula, than to buy a presence straight up.

Rings
We are looking at rings that have an Essence of Envy craft on them for the %increased Chaos Damage
You can either craft them yourself (not recommended) or just buy some with a lot of resists.
Preferably with an open prefix so you can mastercraft on %Increased energy shield.

Belt
Our BIS is a Crystal Belt with Resists - Strength and Energy shield. (Flat life is just a bonus so you can level up clarity more)

Flasks
I will go into further detail in the Spoiler named Flasks Below

LL Flasks

Our most important Flask we use is the Witchfire Brew Stibnite Flask. The Curse it gives doesn't really do us much since we already run 2 curses, but it does give us more damage over time AND more evasion. Try to get one with at least 65% damage over time or more.

The second most important flask is out Sulphur Flask. It gives up %40 more damage and it allows us to regen some health if we are standing in it's circle of goodness. Try to roll Bleed Immunity on this flask.

Unfortunately we still do have to use a mana flask. It's only really needed on bosses when you just start spamming ED. Other than that you will rarely find yourself using it. Try to roll Immunity to curses on this one. (I am looking and hating on you silence curse)

We use a Silver flask for Whirling blades attack speed, and also cast speed always helps too!
Try to roll either more charges, or reduced charges used, so you can use the flask more than once.

LL Jewels

Here is a list of useful stats on a jewel:
%increased maximum Energy Shield
%increased Chaos Damage
%increased Spell Damage
%increased Spell Damage while holding a shield
%increased Damage Over Time
%increased Projectile Damage

2.6 Screenshots

My Character at level 89

Essence Drain with no flasks

Essence Drain with Flasks

2.6 Gear

This is what I am currently rocking to take down the end game content

Last edited by Nowlech on Aug 7, 2017, 7:29:18 AM
Last bumped on Dec 7, 2017, 7:52:11 PM
6-22-17
Updated and added "3.0 Changes" Tab

8-2-17
Added the new Gems to the Gem Tab - updated the 3.0 Changes tab

8-3-17
Updated and added Life and CI PoB Links and Tree Sections.
Last edited by Nowlech on Aug 3, 2017, 5:53:26 AM
Thanks for posting. I've been following another Essence Drain build on what is essentially my first character. Up to 92 so far- but I got stomped by Shaper, haven't yet attempted Uber Atziri.

I found your guide very thorough on a slightly different approach than what I had seen before so I'll take a shot making some changes based on what you wrote up!
"
Thanks for posting. I've been following another Essence Drain build on what is essentially my first character. Up to 92 so far- but I got stomped by Shaper, haven't yet attempted Uber Atziri.

I found your guide very thorough on a slightly different approach than what I had seen before so I'll take a shot making some changes based on what you wrote up!

Thanks for the reply!

I am very happy with how this character performs. I took down Shaper and Uber Atziri at level 89, and have done them multiple times since then. I am going to upload an Uber Atziri later tonight or tomorrow!

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask here or PM me in game.
Hey, first of all, nice guide. I just want to point out a few minor mistakes that might be confusing to some people. Blood Magic quality does not matter since you link it exclusively to auras. The reduced cost from quality does not apply to auras. There is also a mention of decay stacking, which does not work.

Just thought I'd mention it so new players don't get confused. Keep up the good work!
"
Hey, first of all, nice guide. I just want to point out a few minor mistakes that might be confusing to some people. Blood Magic quality does not matter since you link it exclusively to auras. The reduced cost from quality does not apply to auras. There is also a mention of decay stacking, which does not work.

Just thought I'd mention it so new players don't get confused. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, Edited and fixed. I knew you couldn't stack decay so I have no idea why it was in there. But honestly had no idea about Blood Magic, so thanks for that!
What would your gem setup be if you were to go CI? Id imagine that blood magic wont work with CI.
Last edited by Juicegamer on Jun 2, 2017, 12:18:17 AM
What do you think about ES values changes in 3.0? Do you think it will be worth going CI/Low Life anyway?
"

What do you think about ES values changes in 3.0? Do you think it will be worth going CI/Low Life anyway?

I actually started with an ES based character in the beta to see how it turns out in 3.0.

It will still be viable for sure! I'm guessing with mediocre gear and a decently rolled shavs we will get around 7-9k ES. Which is fine with our ascendancy, since it recharges instantly, but we can't take a flameblast on Uber Atziri anymore (without a ruby flask) or just tank as much.

In all honesty it looks like ED is getting a pretty big buff in terms of damage through new gems in 3.0. I will definitely test this and come back to this build once I have some currency in 3.0
Last edited by Nowlech on Jun 10, 2017, 11:45:00 PM
"
Nowlech wrote:
"

I actually started with an ES based character in the beta to see how it turns out in 3.0.

It will still be viable for sure! I'm guessing with mediocre gear and a decently rolled shavs we will get around 7-9k ES. Which is fine with our ascendancy, since it recharges instantly, but we can't take a flameblast on Uber Atziri anymore (without a ruby flask) or just tank as much.

In all honesty it looks like ED is getting a pretty big buff in terms of damage through new gems in 3.0. I will definitely test this and come back to this build once I have some currency in 3.0

Great, i hope ED will be ok. And by the way, when you don't have enough currency to buy a Shavs in first days of the league, you just go CI instead of low life?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info