The changes to Cyclone in 3.0 and stuff

You know what time it is, it is time to rejoice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU

Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
GHoSe wrote:
Please also look in to spark/vaal spark if you so happen to cast right on top of the obstacle, nothing comes out.

That's common to every skill I'm afraid. Under certain conditions, you can lock yourself into basic attacks with many melee skills, like EQ and Ice Crash. Just another unfortunate side effect of GGG not being that versed in game design I'm afraid. I think much of the pain points are a result of that. If you've ever played D3, you can tell right away at just what level Blizzard is operating. Skills are very smooth and the entire game is extremely fluid to play.

I love the depth of min-maxing in PoE but the combat system itself needs a lot of love.
Deliver pain exquisite
"
Necromael wrote:
Guess why people love strand?

Because there is a minimum of obstacles, you are free to move how you like, mostly in a linear way, but still, almost no obstacles.

People like fluid gameplay. People don't like maps like crypt/cells, where you will get stuck on 50 doors and 50 enviromental hazards (yes, hazards, as they can make you die if you don't see what you're stuck onto).

Also, another thing, how to keep map complexity, while at the same time reducing backtracking to a minimum? I don't know, but I'd love if they came to a solution for this one.

Atoll resembles a more complicated strand, and you can circle it without repetition. It is not 100% linear, but requires you to go around a bit. It is followed by plateau which is a little more complex layout but still can be done without backtracking. I wish there were more simmilar layouts.

In this game now, C layout maps which are complex and full of doors/obstacles, just are less rewarding than simple stuff. You spend more time for possible same reward and afterwards it feels like a waste of time.

Devs gotta work on it to make complex maps not feel like a waste of time.

Yup. I think GGG's rationale there is that if they made every map layout appealing, nobody would be happy. This way, people are elated after getting a Strand drop as opposed to a Torture Chamber drop. A bit deprecated since you can now modify your Atlas to isolate certain map drops. There really is no more need for that mindset when it comes to playable content. For items, yes, you're always going to have to wade through muck, but when it comes to actual content, all of it should be fun. I have never met a single player that loved grinding Crematorium or Cells maps. The favorites always have very clean and pleasing layouts to run.

On a side note, I love Atoll. It's very fun to play. I could bounce between Strand and Atoll all day. I love that PoE has a lot of diversity when it comes to mapping but as you say, the cream of the crop maps are far and few between. I'd say the vast majority are very cancerous.
Deliver pain exquisite
"
"
GHoSe wrote:
Please also look in to spark/vaal spark if you so happen to cast right on top of the obstacle, nothing comes out.

That's common to every skill I'm afraid. Under certain conditions, you can lock yourself into basic attacks with many melee skills, like EQ and Ice Crash. Just another unfortunate side effect of GGG not being that versed in game design I'm afraid. I think much of the pain points are a result of that. If you've ever played D3, you can tell right away at just what level Blizzard is operating. Skills are very smooth and the entire game is extremely fluid to play.

I love the depth of min-maxing in PoE but the combat system itself needs a lot of love.

I tend to agree blizzard dose smooth, streamlined and simple. They do it very very well

GGG is more like complex, customization, and a bit confusing lol

very different
I dont see any any key!
About map layouts: the way I see it, GGG wants maps to have different value. If you can sustain shaped strands and run them all day long, good for you! But it's a goal to work towards. It's a type of reward. Maps are just like gear, some people can afford the top-notch stuff, others can't. And different people put different value on them, even if some are objectively faster to run. Some players don't mind running maps in a slower fashion. They enjoy not being in a hurry.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Apr 26, 2017, 11:01:03 AM
"
"
GHoSe wrote:

Somehow, I don't think Shield Charge have that issue.

Another issue is the bad design of movement skill targeting. For skill like Leap Slam, flame dash, shield charge, etc.., if you click 'out of range', the character will have to move a certain minimum distance AND THEN use the skill, and you have to hold down shift to just plain cast it without moving (though it still have some issues). Whirling blade however doesn't seem to have this issue.
This is a really strange design design when other RTS and DotA-like games doesn't have that targeting issues with movement skills. Clicking beyond the maximum range will simply choose the maximum range of the movement skill (though in games like Warcraft 3, clicking beyond the maximum range for skills like Blink actually gives you distance below the maximum blink range, so to get the maximum distance you have to manually click on the maximum distance sweet spot)
Last edited by Randomzx on Apr 26, 2017, 11:23:05 AM
"
"
GHoSe wrote:

I can tell that blizzard designed a fantastic engine then put far more stupid design decisions ontop of it, almost wish we could combine the two and get the best from both but i'll never forgive the auction house or the shouts of tearrrorr.
"
Randomzx wrote:

Somehow, I don't think Shield Charge have that issue.

Another issue is the bad design of movement skill targeting. For skill like Leap Slam, flame dash, shield charge, etc.., if you click 'out of range', the character will have to move a certain minimum distance AND THEN use the skill, and you have to hold down shift to just plain cast it without moving (though it still have some issues). Whirling blade however doesn't seem to have this issue.
This is a really strange design design when other RTS and DotA-like games doesn't have that targeting issues with movement skills. Clicking beyond the maximum range will simply choose the maximum range of the movement skill (though in games like Warcraft 3, clicking beyond the maximum range for skills like Blink actually gives you distance below the maximum blink range, so to get the maximum distance you have to manually click on the maximum distance sweet spot)

Yes! Most of the movmement skills are very hard to trigger actually. There is a movement skill on the Demon Hunter in D3 where she does a combat roll. The animation is instant and it's triggered on location, just like whirling blades with a set distance. If you hit a wall, you stop. It's dead simple but it feels so good to use. Shield Charge and Whirling Blades are the two best, if not for them getting snagged on everything (again the Demon Hunter suffers no such issues in D3). Flame Dash and Leap Slam are absolutely terrible.

Another issue is that for FD and LP, it will often not trigger if you're holding down the mouse button and moving the cursor around to navigate. They seem to calculate their end points before the action will trigger, causing players to spam the key with either no output or a massive delay. I'd say I have leap slam trigger about 20% of the time on the first key press and exactly when I want to. In a clutch play, it usually never goes off, or lags out and spamming the key results in a double leap.

If they did nothing but just fix movmement skills, this game would improve immeasurably!!!
Deliver pain exquisite
"
Bars wrote:
About map layouts: the way I see it, GGG wants maps to have different value. If you can sustain shaped strands and run them all day long, good for you! But it's a goal to work towards. It's a type of reward.

Wouldn't call this "work" or "reward". It's just a decision: "I don't care about anything else but running in a straight line, because it's most efficient."
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info