Melee builds are complete trash

I've had enough of it. I don't understand the development perspective for melee builds. I see ranged characters with 21k energy shield spending roughly 10 exals to obtain dominating just about every aspect of the game, able to handle shaper, uber atziri, t16 maps the works. They can shoot through ele reflect be immune to most types of one shot damage because they aren't anywhere near it and farm whatever they like.

I DO NOT WANT TO PLAY THIS WAY.

Why do I feel forced to play this kind of character to obtain any kind of high end experience.

I'm running a slayer ngahu build, I've spent at least 15 exals on the build, I'm not running cheap gear. Have roughly 88% fire resistance so technically should be able to tank through ele reflect yet it doesn't happen, whether you deal too much dps or not it's just ridiculous.

Melee builds are completely destroyed by traps, reflect mobs, one shot mechanics that are often impossible to avoid especially if you're using cyclone, the attack animation runs by itself. You get stuck on objects, desync constantly, get latency issues which result in many many many many deaths. It feels ardently impossible to run maps unless they are bosses or you're in the t-11 t-12 range and even then it's frustrating.

You nerfed melee aoe, nerf leech, make it very difficult to build bigger life pools without sacrificing some major aspect of your build. Why should I be forced to wear a kaoms and still only hit 10k health. I've picked up every life node in the tree, tested just about every aspect of this build I can think of and still conclude it's total trash unless you run labyrinth all the time..

What do you guys have against melee characters? Is it just lazy design or is it just bad development practice. They feel neglected and destroyed and they are by far the most fun I've had out of any of the characters.

Not every player wants to stand at the edge of the screen spamming ranged abilities.

This game just feels like an abysmal mess at the minute, I'm praying you fix this all with fall of Oriath but damn I doubt it, I don't think it will ever change.
Last bumped on Apr 25, 2017, 7:25:43 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
same with me

have all res good dps but i am not able to even fight atziri

on the other side i run tier 14 maps

i wanna play melee but ... :P
"
MagicalMove wrote:
same with me

have all res good dps but i am not able to even fight atziri

on the other side i run tier 14 maps

i wanna play melee but ... :P

Not being able to do normal atziri, but being able to do Tier 14+ maps makes me think it is probably just an issue with knowledge of the encounter. Familiarize yourself with the mechanics of the fight.
U MAD?
melee.. melee never changes (recal the Fallout intro)

GGG has no idea what to do with it. it is 'somewhat' tankier than casters/ranged. but that applies to damage types that are less and less important over time. what kills now are large spell/elemental hits, degens and general gfx vomit + lag (breach + legacy of vigour + burning ground + soul conduit..)

for this bit of artificial tankiness (note: it works wonders vs types that AR/EV actually work against) melee pays dearly: clear speed, damage, gearing flexibility, tree flexibility, skill flexibility (because most of them are total utter garbage)

i got to 89 with my Jugg Cleaver. never f.. again. it is a junk, horrible horrible junk with no redeeming qualities. any spell does better job - and there are some terrible spells out there. any bow build or semi-build or just random bow-related items thrown together do better

melee. but why?
Melee builds are hard. They have to be because you're fighting close range and obvious damage mitigation is required. Personally, I use enduring cry and fortify to swallow up most damage. I wish I dealt more damage, but I'm not sure if it's just because I just lack currency or because the build itself sucks. Range isn't the answer because then you essentially have a long range build without the drawbacks of iron grip. I think maybe there should be some miniature melee splash built into whenever you use a melee weapon, producing some splash damage, not a lot but some, maybe 25% radius at 30% damage.
Last edited by Slicer9875 on Apr 20, 2017, 1:09:38 PM
"
sidtherat wrote:
melee.. melee never changes (recal the Fallout intro)

GGG has no idea what to do with it. it is 'somewhat' tankier than casters/ranged. but that applies to damage types that are less and less important over time. what kills now are large spell/elemental hits, degens and general gfx vomit + lag (breach + legacy of vigour + burning ground + soul conduit..)

for this bit of artificial tankiness (note: it works wonders vs types that AR/EV actually work against) melee pays dearly: clear speed, damage, gearing flexibility, tree flexibility, skill flexibility (because most of them are total utter garbage)

i got to 89 with my Jugg Cleaver. never f.. again. it is a junk, horrible horrible junk with no redeeming qualities. any spell does better job - and there are some terrible spells out there. any bow build or semi-build or just random bow-related items thrown together do better

melee. but why?

Be like me: I've invested around 300ex into my character (though prices decay over time, now it's probably around 250ex).

Oh damn, I have to piss and I'm fighting Atziri! No probs, afk 5 mins. 70k pure phys dps, can't die. Couldn't enjoy more.
and I've only died 39 times. (c) Libbritania ( tokimeki ).
Last edited by ZL0J on Apr 20, 2017, 1:10:37 PM
"
ZL0J wrote:

Be like me: I've invested around 300ex into my character (though prices decay over time, now it's probably around 250ex).

Oh damn, I have to piss and I'm fighting Atziri! No probs, afk 5 mins. 70k pure phys dps, can't die. Couldn't enjoy more.

im not the type that treats spending money as an 'entertainment'. i spend it when i need it - without hesitation.

why would i spend 300 ex on a melee build when with similar investment i can have a ranged one with similar AFK potential? what is the reason (except for 'fun' - but ive been there, done that, left)?

i remember around patch 2.0 or something one of the big 'melee is fine, l2p' guys showed his characters.

very good items, nice stats (all that AR/EV he likes to boast about), pretty good damn weapons but.. oh look, every single one of his characters had a 4Link spectral throw in his gloves!

why? because melee is fine as long as it is fine. if it isnt - time to jump ship and be ranged

so - why play melee at all if that is the situation?
There is no reason unless you like to subject yourself to added difficulty.
IGN: Suifido
TESTHER
I tell you what im wery anoyed with items design and bosses that just make joke of your time.
Frst time minotaur map, got to the boss and then suprise. Imune to chill.

Like sure thing i just lose so mach crap, not to mention map rools like unlucky and enfeble and you name it. Just shit on evrithing. T15-16 is some realy game defaying nonsences. Some tings worck on evrithing and some things just get totaly denied, shame you learn abouth it to late.
What i think is to just mutulate my Atlas and forget abouth it. On other hand i also whana do same for so many builds and skills, just preted they do not exist and forget i ever tried them.
Last edited by nEVER_BoRN on Apr 20, 2017, 3:24:47 PM
IMHO the problem with balance is how POE treats armor. Think about evasion in Armor, what does that even mean? That you can dodge attacks better? If that were the case then running around butt naked should give you max evasion. And then introducing ES just mucks up everything cause now you have this force field like thingy.

Just having armor and life stats with armor affecting chance to damage and movement would make for a much more easy to understand and balanced game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info