[2.6] Frostbolt Totem - Level 90 LSC, Cheap and T15+Shaper Viable

Hello there!
I'm a fan of threshold jewels, especially when they act as a 7th and sometimes even as an 8th link, which is exactly the case for this build.

It solves two of the Frostbolt problems at once, the slow speed and the need of GMP. It was a long time since I've tried a Totem build, so I decided to go back to them and incredibly enough I didn't get bored all the way through level 90! With this build, you're able to do all of the content safely for a very cheap price.

Passive Tree

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUCAAOaBAcEUQSzBUIJqgthDc0RDxNxFkAWbxo4HM4c3B0UHwIkqicvKhMrJitQLJw1kjbFNuk6FjpYOtg64TsNPC0-8UFyQZZFnUbXSU9KLkyzTeNOrlAwU1JVxlcpWG1YrljlWfNaK16lZDNmVGaeaFpo8nGFcg98S331gpuDX4PMg9uD84UyhXuFfYaCi4yPGo9GkFWWdJctmjua4JtRogCj8qZXpwinpa4SrrOvbK-nsTaxQrc-vKrAZsCaxPbGrtAf0PXVi9Wm2CTYvdn82t3bXuFz42rr7uw47Tzv6_Af8kXzEfnd-tL-Cv5U_o8=?accountName=TheElementalist&characterName=HailstormWhisperer

This is a life build with Mind Over Matter. Making a CI version is fine as well. If you make use of Tukohama's, reach for Eldritch Battery by removing the Maximum Mana nodes.
Ascendancy is Hierophant because of the mana, the charge generation and, most of all, the two extra totems.

Bandits:
Oak, Kill All, Alira

Current Gear

As you can see, most of the gear I have has been scavenged while leveling, plus you don't even need the kaom's to run the build (though it's extra survivability if you do).
For the helm enchantment, I recommend Frostbolt cast speed. (at least you don't need as much of it as a Flameblast build would, plus, you don't get to worry about area increases!)

Gem Setup

MAIN: Frostbolt, Spell Totem, Cold Penetration, Faster Casting, Hypothermia, Empower
CWDT, Enfeeble, Immortal Call, Increased Duration
MOVEMENT: Flame Dash, Vaal Haste, Faster Casting, Increased Duration
EXTRAS: Summon Lightning Golem, Frost Bomb, Arctic Armor, Rallying Cry
This is with the Kaom's. You get six additional gems without it. You can run a Curse on Hit setup, for example.

Alternatives

A 5L Taryn's Shiver is the cheapest way to level 90. Once you've got a bunch of exalted orbs and level 8 masters, you can get a +3 Cold staff in order to run a level 28 Frostbolt Totem. In my opinion, this even tops the dagger+tukohama's setup, though I didn't run the exact math behind it.

Chest can be anything you want, though the Kaom's is the option with the highest survivability. However, if you decide to run a version without a staff, you might have to rely on something different, such as a Belly of the Beast or many others, your choice.

Speaking of math, another valid jewel is this one, though you will have to drop all the auras:

I personally perfer a 30+ crit multiplier jewel instead of this one anyway.

And finally, if you want ALL the burning and double dipping, making the switch from cold to fire it's easy!
First, swap gems: Hypothermia becomes Cold to Fire and Cold Penetration becomes Fire Penetration.
Secondly, use Xoph's amulet in place of Pandemonius. Full conversion is achieved!
And finally, if you want to be really, REALLY bold, add The Taming and Emberwake and it rarely gets better than this!

Videos

"
Karyoplasma wrote:

Okay, gem hit lvl 19 so I recorded this Shaped Strand run. Map rolled with Enfeeble, so my damage sucked when Wise Oak isn't up, but still easily doable.

Gear used

For jewels, check the tree

Hope this build will be useful to you and thanks for reading,
Frozen Fire / The Elementalist
Last edited by TheElementalist on Apr 3, 2017, 11:36:52 AM
Last bumped on Jun 26, 2017, 11:02:34 AM
Thanks for the build, gonna test it out. 2 questions:

What's the best offensive aura for this? Maybe I'm just gonna run Determination tho =)
Did you level as Frostbolt totem or did you use another spell in the beginning?
Last edited by Karyoplasma on Mar 30, 2017, 8:36:04 PM
"
Karyoplasma wrote:

What's the best offensive aura for this? Maybe I'm just gonna run Determination tho =)

Anger or Haste, but I run neither because I'd rather save mana for Mind Over Matter and the costs are greater than the benefits (you don't need as much cast speed as Flameblast builds too).

"
Karyoplasma wrote:

Did you level as Frostbolt totem or did you use another spell in the beginning?

Yes, I leveled with Frostbolt totem but Frostbolt self-cast works too, as well as most elemental skills. You can also use a Bitterdream Sceptre until you can equip the Taryn's.
Can you post a video or something ? Why trick people with shaper viable if you dont even have 1 single video to at least show what the build can do. Doesnt need to be shaper ,but at least a shaped strand or any other mid tier stuff you feel like recording.
If OP doesn't post a video, I will, when I reach red maps. Shouldn't take too long.

Edit:
Okay, gem hit lvl 19 so I recorded this Shaped Strand run. Map rolled with Enfeeble, so my damage sucked when Wise Oak isn't up, but still easily doable.

Gear used

For jewels, check the tree
Last edited by Karyoplasma on Apr 2, 2017, 3:03:11 PM
Thanks a lot man! I was going to post something myself, but I've never recorded a video before, very well done!
Thanks a lot man! I was going to post something myself, but I've never recorded a video before, very well done!
No problem. The run is slow tho as I was only lvl82 and haven't upgraded my gear since I bought Taryn's at lvl70. If you want to record a video on your own, I recommend "Open Broadcaster Software". People usually use it to stream on twitch, but you can also easily capture your screen. And it's free =)
I did build one just like yours. Kinda motivated me to go for another run ( hc ).

Was gonna 5l it and just mess around with the build but end up getting it,so im trying to push this thing.

An item that deserve a mention is this,
. Doesnt seems like much but the +1 proj really makes a difference while mapping.

gear

Spoiler

What would you guys do to push the build farther? I know the amulet is not BIS . But other then that? I currently run a Frostbolt/fastercast/spelltot/hypo/empowerlv3/ SLOWER PROJ. Do u guys think crit chance would be better?

I also pick Inquisitor rather then hierophant. Hence why i dont use a cold pen gem.
If you want to switch out a gem for Increased Critical Strikes, then I'd replace Slower Proj, dunno if it's that much better tho, but whatever you do, you need more crit gear as an Inquisitor or else you are just gimping yourself. Get rid of that amulet and get a crit one. You are not using a dagger, so you should get 2 Diamond rings as well.

I don't like Inquisitor that much and I can tell you why:

Issue no. 1: I have so much cold penetration (20 from amulet, 20 from Frost Bomb, 37 from gem, 42 from curse) that ignoring the resistances would actually make me do less damage. Inevitable Judgement is only good if you are crit capped or close to it, else pen is better.

Issue no. 2: Inquisitor kinda locks you into dagger+shield so you can get the cast speed buff from Instruments of Virtue by using Shield Charge and as you are using a Staff, there is no movement skill that counts as an attack. Sanctify into Pious Path would be better in this case.

Issue no. 3: Inquisitor has no way to reliably generate charges without giving up another gear slot for Orb of Storms + PCoC.

Issue no. 4: This one is a bit personal, but it just feels so nice having 4 totems at your disposal. It works well versus eventual stragglers while you move to the next mob.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info