[2.6] [LSC] Molten strike Brutus lead sprinkler Raider aka. The Ball Sprinkler

INTRODUCTION

Hello people, This is my build guide for a molten strike raider utilizing the strength stacking benefits from the revamped brutus lead sprinkler.

The build is no crit, no ignite, no poison and instead focuses on the raw fire damage added from the weapons together with 100% hit chance from resolute and the massive attack speed gained from frenzy + multistrike + faster attacks. This results in a surprisingly fun experience with a potential for spewing out around 60'ish molten balls pr second.

Even with the build being far from its current form while i leveled it was a very smooth and easy experience.
The build is currently breezing through normal atziri runs and mid to high tier red maps. As i have not yet done guardians, shaper or uber atziri with this build i will not state with certainty that it is doable however i will say that the damage aspect of the build is there.

Special thanks to MoarPizza for providing a good build guide template for a build guide virgin such as myself to use. (Link to said template: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1651524)

CHANGELOG

24/3/2017: Added video for atziri normal, Changed gear setup, Changed gem setup, edited keynote section, replaced dps and defense screenshots to match the new changes.
25/3/2017: Added Minotaur video.
26/3/2017: Added leveling trees.

VIDEO

Atziri (normal)
Minotaur

OVERVIEW

Pros:

+ High damage without being reliant on procs / crits.
+ High mobility.
+ Can level with endgame weapons from 28.
+ Build easily customized to fit gear budget.

Cons:

- Relies on vaal pact to negate reflect mobs.
- Optimized gear quickly gets expensive.

SKILL TREE

Raider

Passives Level 91

Ascendancy Points: This build takes Avatar of the veil and Avatar of the slaughter, aside from taking way of the poacher on normal i would argue that it comes down to personal preference if u want the damage from Avatar of the slaughter or the utility from Avatar of the veil pre uber lab.

Personally i suggest Way of the poacher -> Quartz infusion -> Avatar of the veil -> Avatar of the slaughter.

Bandits: 40 life (Help Oak) / Skillpoint (Kill all) / Frenzy charge (Help Kraityn)

LEVELING TREES

Spoiler
Passive Tree (34 Passives)
Assumes level 28 at end of a3 normal. Depending on leveling gear this pathing can be a bit rough as it has no real impactful nodes, however this allows us to convert nearly all dex at the start of the tree to str the moment we equip the sprinkler's (or as soon as you get sockets) resulting in both a damage and surviveability boost (2 str = 1 flat life)
The socket near golem's blood will be used for our first wildfire jewel until we get further into the build.

Passive Tree (60 Passives)
We travel up to get the jewel socket for second wildfire, after this the choice is yours on what order to grab the points in. Forces of nature is a very nice dps boost, while going straight for constitution will provide a nice boost to life.

Passive Tree (90 Passives)
This will come down to the gear you are able to afford at this point, some people will prefer postponing a dps cluster such as primeval force in favor of picking up efficient defensive nodes such as bloodless, juggernaut and thick skin. I will leave this choice up to to you people.

After this point fill in remaining points between this and my current tree.

SKILL TREE EXPLANATION

This build was made with a high focus on STR stacking and as such the pathing can seem strange much like with a HoWA build. Basically all of the travel nodes in Ranger area and the DEX in the duelist area is converted to STR through the use of the jewel Inertia (See Jewel section for explanation).

The resist nodes "Cloth and chain" and "Survivalist" together with "Sentinel" and "Diamond skin" are all optional and can be used to help cap out resistances based on gear level.

Vaal pact is essentially a must in order to counter ele reflect mobs in end yellow / start red tier maps and onwards.

Point blank is taken as it has a big effect on the damage done by our magma balls, this effect does not show up in tooltip but it has been confirmed by ggg staff several times that it does indeed function with abilities that release projectiles as a secondary skill effect eg. Molten strike and frost blades.

Iron grip is a very debatable node as it only increases the "physical" portion of the projectile attack meaning that it only scales 40% of the projectile damage which already has a 30% less multiplier on it. I will keep testing but for now i will leave the choice to you wether to take it or not.

Iron Reflexes is simply a way to focus our defensive stats and reduce overall levels of sustained damage taken.

Resolute technique was a keynote i struggled with for a long time, i have tried building for elemental overload, tried building for no resolute no overload but with decent hit and ignite chance but i ended up realizing that the pure added fire damage amount from the lead sprinklers was more than enough.
This also results in nearly all map mods effect on the build being negated as we are not reliant on crit, hit chance or ignites to carry our damage.

JEWELS

The Build has 5 jewel sockets all of which are occupied by unique jewels. (Jewel socket near golem's blood can be changed for a rare jewel if your bugdet allows for that)

We use 3 copies of:

This is done to make the DEX travel nodes (and notables) the build is more or less forced to take efficient by turning them into STR which is scaling our flat added fire damage and life pool.

The other 2 jewels we use are the new threshold jewels:

These are bloody amazing getting 4 extra balls spawning every time u attack not only increases area clear speed but also greatly increases single target damage as we are more likely to overlap hits from several projectiles on one target.

As for the potential rare jewel replacement for inertia near golem's blood i suggest following stats in order of priority:
- % max life
- Strength (hybrid roll, all stats or single roll)
- % damage
- % fire damage
- % elemental resist
- % area damage (only scales the projectiles)
- % projectile damage (only scales the projectiles)
- Mana on hit

SCREENSHOTS

SKILL DPS
NOTE: All numbers displayed here are purely calculated on the initial melee hit and with a minimum of 40 magma balls spewed out pr second the inital hit dps is near insignificant when it comes to judging the actual dps of the skill.

In Hideout:
Spoiler

Buffed:
Spoiler

DEFENSE

Spoiler

GEAR

GEAR EXPLANATION

Spoiler
Weapons

The item i used as core for the entire build, for every 10 STR we will get a flat 3 fire damage (6 because dual wielding) added to our attacks. Get as High attack speed roll as possible, ignore crit roll as we are doing resolute.

Helm

Amazing helm for scaling our already high base STR while also providing several different Aura setup options (See gem links for further info).

Chest

With the amount of flat life we get from our STR this just seems like the natural choice, also helps balancing those pesky resistances.

Gloves

Basic resist life gloves with as much STR as u can afford.

Boots

Another STR scaling item with some bonus chaos damage and movespeed.

Amulet

I feel ashamed that i forgot this neck when first making this guide, without a doubt the best option for this build. However both astramentis and a rare neck with weapon elemental damage, STR, life, res will do the job just fine to start out with.

Rings

Weapon ele damage, life, STR and resist. Depending on budget u might have to forgo the elemental damage to start out with.

Belt

Weapon ele damage, life, STR and resist. Depending on budget u might have to forgo the elemental damage to start out with.

Flasks
Still not optimized roll but base types are all solid for this build will update with optimal rolls later on.

LINKS AND GEMS

Main DPS Setup

Molten strike > Weapon elemental damage > Fire penetration > Multistrike > Elemental focus > Faster attacks

As this ability consists of 2 seperate attacks each with their own tags i prioritized gems that could scale both parts rather than focusing on either the projectiles or the melee hit exclusively.
While faster attacks and multistrike together on a raider seems excessive the resulting amount of extra projectiles spawned per second seems to outclass any other potential 6th link.

As i expect this will be a question in need of answer Inc aoe / conc effect only works on the projectile par of the attack and the testing i have done seems to suggest that the inc aoe basicly does nothing with the threshold jewels already providing 50% area, with this in mind u would basicly run conc all the time which lowers aoe clear speed and only boosts dmg of projectiles.

CWDT Setup
This build currently runs 2 CWDT setups:

CWDT > Immortal call > Flammability > Vaal lightning trap

Running this in a low level CWDT setup, immortal call provides a often lifesaving surviveability buffer on burst damage, flammability is kept up reliably to further boost our damage, vortex is basicly just thrown in here because i had room and it is a bit of slow on mobs around us.

CWDT > Molten shell > Flame golem

We run this as a higher level CWDT setup, Molten shell is just a nice thing to have giving us some more armor while flame golem just a straight up damage buff.

Mobility Setup

Leap slam > Faster attacks > Fortitude > Blood magic

Standard Leap slam setup with fortitude.

Aura Setup

This is an area i still have a lot of testing left to do, with the +1 level of socketed gems on helm we are presented with a lot of choice.

The setups i see the most potential in are currently
Grace > Anger > Enlighten level 2

Or if you have a higher budget and want to spend 3 points getting charisma.
Grace > anger > Arctic armor > Enlighten level 4

Both these setups should leave us with mana enough for about 2 attacks on a 6 link which is plenty even on a no regen map.

Other gems.
This build has a ton of options as to what we want to do with the gem sockets available to us so i will list some options that are viable additions or replacement to the current setup:
- Ancestral protector: More attack speed multi can be done with or without links as just the attack speed bonus is enough to make it wortwhile using on bosses.
- Ancestral Warchief: Same concept as protector but much lower dmg increase as it only scales the melee hit.
-Vaal grace: Straight up defensive cooldown even if you end up taking "Unwavering stance" in the tree as this keynote only prevents us from evading and not from dodging.
- Vaal lightning trap: Simple dps cooldown for bosses, Is not used for the dmg the trap itself does but for guarenteed Shock effect which increases our dmg towards that target by 50% during debuff effect.

THE END

Last edited by adkrox on Mar 26, 2017, 5:00:21 AM
Last bumped on May 11, 2017, 11:24:54 AM
Well written build guide. Any chance you could add some videos showing clearspeed and playstyle?
2.6 BLS Berserker budget shaper farmer build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1882710
"
MoldyDwarf wrote:
Well written build guide. Any chance you could add some videos showing clearspeed and playstyle?

Thank you for the response, i will see about adding some videos sadly i play on a potato so will have to find another computer to record on so that it is a proper showcase for the build.

Currently thinking i will record an atziri, a core and potentially a guardian run. if you have any ideas for other content u would like to see the build running let me know :)
"
adkrox wrote:
"
MoldyDwarf wrote:

Thank you for the response, i will see about adding some videos sadly i play on a potato so will have to find another computer to record on so that it is a proper showcase for the build.

Currently thinking i will record an atziri, a core and potentially a guardian run. if you have any ideas for other content u would like to see the build running let me know :)

Those are definitely good ones. Some additional ones that would be interesting if you're able to do them:
  • Uber Atziri
  • Uber Izaro
  • Each of the guardians (since they're each hard in different ways)
  • Shaper

2.6 BLS Berserker budget shaper farmer build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1882710
anychance we can get a lvling tree?
"
shawn412 wrote:
anychance we can get a lvling tree?

It is my plan to have leveling trees for the build, i can not promise a timeframe for when it will happen but will get around to it asap :)
cool i look forward to trying this out ill be on the look out for those trees :)
Hey man, thanks for this build! Been wanting to try molten strike for a long while, and did make my own last league but it just didnt feel good with these new jewels.

Im currently not very high lvl, im 62, and im running a 5L just to see how I like the build endgame.

Atm Im running MS - FA - Multi - Elefocus and for the 5th link I find Fire pen better than weapon elemental dmg. Tool tip isnt higher (I know I cannot go by tooltip) and firepen shouldnt add more dmg atm I think, but it feels alot better on rares and bosses. I suspect it is due to not using flammability much yet, and because I dont have any elemen pen notes yet either. Is it just me or does this sound familiar?
Last edited by Leeown on Mar 25, 2017, 7:06:05 AM
"
Leeown wrote:

Atm Im running MS - FA - Multi - Elefocus and for the 5th link I find Fire pen better than weapon elemental dmg. Tool tip isnt higher (I know I cannot go by tooltip) and firepen shouldnt add more dmg atm I think, but it feels alot better on rares and bosses. I suspect it is due to not using flammability much yet, and because I dont have any elemen pen notes yet either. Is it just me or does this sound familiar?

i think at the point you are at i was running MS - WED - Multi - Fire pen - Ele focus, but ended up finding FA in the place of ele focus resulting in a smoother playstyle and damage still being plenty.

If you find the need to replace either WED or ele focus i would say replace ele focus as it is a lower dmg multi and without ele focus u also have a (small) chance to ignite bringing in some slight extra damage.
When using the oak flask do you intentionally leave fire resist uncapped?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info