Request for a Japanese Gateway

There's also a bit of an issue regarding Japan and the Xbox. Last I heard, the Xbox line was among the least popular consoles in Japan, though that may have changed in the years since... To google!

Nope, still exactly the same. lol There is literally an article saying "Last Week, Microsoft Reportedly Sold 99 Xbox Ones in Japan."

So it seems... Unlikely that there will be much Japan work for GGG.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
(sorry for not posting this in Japanese. I was never that good. -_-)

Okay guys, so I discussed this with Chris Wilson the other day. It was an interesting topic, because we both know that PC gaming in Japan is much, much less popular than in other countries. When I tell friends in Japan that I'm playing/supporting this really awesome ARPG, the first question they ask is, 'oh, what console is it on?'

So when I saw this thread I was very surprised. There are probably no plans to create a localised Japanese Path of Exile, which means most Japanese players are either expats living over there or Japanese native speakers who have acquired some of the language. I know English is taught in schools over there quite rigorously but I'm not sure how much of that would be useful when playing a fantasy game written by New Zealanders.

So that's the first issue: no Japanese localised version. Much like us early Western otaku of the 1990s playing JRPGs and watching anime on VHS, you'll have to make do with the language the game comes in.

A gateway, on the other hand, isn't out of the question. It's just sort of hard to justify given the lack of popularity of PC gaming in Japan. THAT SAID, PoE mtxes are being bought in Japan. I can't say how many (I don't know) but enough to create a strange situation where the usual belief that PC gaming in Japan is nothing but Eroge is being challenged. I know some PC games have their fans in Japan, mostly MMOs, but for the most part, we all know Japan is a nation of console/mobile gamers. Each year, fewer and fewer PC games are readily visible in places like Akiba...but here you are! PC players of PoE in Japan, asking for a gateway! That's awesome.

So to sum up, keep pushing. Keep posting. Keep supporting if you can (obviously). I'll gladly remind GGG regularly to consider implementing a Japanese gateway. But in the end, it has to be a sound business decision for them.

Oh wow, that's a nice surprise there !
Thx
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
While I can see why a gateway just for Japan might seem like a luxury, it wouldn't be serving just Japan.

As far as the international version of POE goes, it's basically a single gateway serving all of Asia. SG wasn't even officially available for a long time.

A gateway in Japan would also serve players from surrounding regions and/or serve as a backup to SG. Heck, it'd be nice just to have a second Asia gateway, if not in Japan, then maybe Korea or Taiwan.
⚡ Lightning Golems:
/1902593
⛄ Ice Golems:
/1914382
Last edited by tomatopotato on Apr 4, 2017, 12:41:32 AM
Not sure about the rest of Asia, but I would say it's a mixed bag around Japan/Korea. I would also hazard a guess that it's near the cusp of Lockstep viability at this distance.

When soloing, I find the connection to SG acceptable enough (~85ms) to enable Lockstep - good even. In a party it's very inconsistent - terrible at times. To California (~125ms) it can get choppy with Lockstep, but not to the point where I'm willing to risk desyncs playing on Predictive (I play almost exclusively HC). Keep in mind I probably have a better-than-average connection (for Japan anyway) and avoid builds with hyper movement speed.

On the other hand, many of my Japanese guildies avoid the SG gateway, with the general consensus being that the connection is unstable (standard sss warning here). I experience this instability as well and switch to California on those days. This is also why many (most?) of the Japanese I know seem to avoid Lockstep and/or Hardcore.

Of course this is all anecdotal, but I think a gateway in Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, or maybe Shanghai would represent a sea change in terms of usability for players in Asia, not just Japan, especially in terms of Lockstep. Even players near SG would benefit from less congestion and a relatively nearby alternative.
⚡ Lightning Golems:
/1902593
⛄ Ice Golems:
/1914382
Last edited by tomatopotato on Apr 4, 2017, 3:17:50 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
So is the ping to most of Asia from the SG gateway not acceptable?

It is, I am having 100 ms from Hokkaido, and it is pretty stable.
There are few days ( once a month, or twice ) where I do switch to California because the ping isn't that stable anymore, but .... I cannot tell if it comes from my ISP or the server.

With lockstep, it's pretty damn fine.

But better would be nice obviously, I just don't feel the need that much.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
i agree.
Found this thread in one of blogs.

I agree with this since Singapore Gateway is very unstable, there are times where it crashes and you may lose a map.
Last edited by Puraime on Apr 12, 2017, 5:21:44 AM
+1
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I am still pursuing this with the devs. No promises.

I think it will be hard but personally to me it doesnt have to be Japanese server but some server that is stable, Japanese server is ideal in terms of ping but the biggest problem is how unstable the singapore server is imo.

So we have no choice but to use California gateway, the problem with california gateway is ping is 130 or so.

when there is small server lag desync starts happening, this is why I dont do atziri, shaper, guardian and so on.

Trials can also be deadly in hardcore so I tend to not play hardcore due to that as well, I always switch my character with 0 exp in standard so that way I dont have to risk losing exp. Also not to note that I have always bought merciless and uberlab kills because desync is an issue during izaro fights with such high ping.

Desync is still a problem to us Japanese players or anybody that lives in asia pacific region.

Please do something about this.
Last edited by Puraime on Apr 17, 2017, 6:59:57 PM
"
Fruz wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
So is the ping to most of Asia from the SG gateway not acceptable?

It is, I am having 100 ms from Hokkaido, and it is pretty stable.
There are few days ( once a month, or twice ) where I do switch to California because the ping isn't that stable anymore, but .... I cannot tell if it comes from my ISP or the server.

With lockstep, it's pretty damn fine.

But better would be nice obviously, I just don't feel the need that much.

Same in Kyushu. I am surprised you can tolerate the latency of lockstep. I find it infuriating. It is comparable to playing D2 on a California server.
Wash your hands, Exile!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info