Help me understand wildstrike

"
Ludvator wrote:
it is skill balance decision. wild strike has very high damage multiplier (similar to pure single target skills) for all the parts. if they allowed initial enemy to be hit twice, they would have to significantly reduce the effectiveness

That is a bummer. Not that it would effect the dps that much, but would arc still hit the initial target assuming there is something for it to chain off first?
"
WaterWii wrote:
"
Ludvator wrote:
it is skill balance decision. wild strike has very high damage multiplier (similar to pure single target skills) for all the parts. if they allowed initial enemy to be hit twice, they would have to significantly reduce the effectiveness

That is a bummer. Not that it would effect the dps that much, but would arc still hit the initial target assuming there is something for it to chain off first?

it is explained in arc wiki page. this is not something like general rule, it is more a part of skill design Id say

edit:

"
Arc will chain to a random target within a specified radius centered on last target struck. Arc cannot chain back to the same target immediately, and must bounce one more time before chaining to the previous target.
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Feb 24, 2017, 3:12:23 PM
"
Ludvator wrote:
"
WaterWii wrote:
"
Ludvator wrote:

it is explained in arc wiki page. this is not something like general rule, it is more a part of skill design Id say

edit:

"
Arc will chain to a random target within a specified radius centered on last target struck. Arc cannot chain back to the same target immediately, and must bounce one more time before chaining to the previous target.

Thanks for the info. One last question I think..

How would melee splash interact? Say I am fighting two monsters, one I hit directly and one is hit by the splash damage. Is the one hit by splash damage susceptible to the secondary damage of wild strike?
Sorry this may be a little off-topic and/or offensive.

"
WaterWii wrote:
makes wild strike way less appealing

"
WaterWii wrote:

That is a bummer.

o_O Wild Strike already far outclasses all of its closest relatives in crowd damage, and you complain that it doesn't ALSO have insane single target damage?

Based on level 20 wiki figures:
Wild Strike: 175.6% damage to crowd
Frost Blades: 141.8% damage to crowd
Static Strike: 159.4 * 0.6 = 95.64% damage to crowd
Molten Strike: 146.6 * 0.6 = 89.96% damage to crowd
Lightning Strike: 175.6 * 0.75 = 131.7% damage to crowd

Based on level 20 wiki figures - IF Wild Strike hit twice on single target:
Wild Strike: 175.6 * 2 = 351.2% single target
Earthquake 1-to-1: 109 * 2.5 = 272.5% single target
Static Strike: 159.4 * 1.6 = 255.04% single target
Dual Strike: 104 * 2 = 208% single target
Cleave dualwield: 163.2% * 0.6 * 2 = 195.84% single target
Heavy Strike: 193.7% single target
Double Strike: 96.6*2 = 193.2% single target

"Welcome to Path of Exile! Choose Blade Flurry, Wild Strike, or some skill that deals a fraction of the damage!"
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
adghar wrote:
Sorry this may be a little off-topic and/or offensive.

"
WaterWii wrote:
makes wild strike way less appealing

"
WaterWii wrote:

That is a bummer.

o_O Wild Strike already far outclasses all of its closest relatives in crowd damage, and you complain that it doesn't ALSO have insane single target damage?

Based on level 20 wiki figures:
Wild Strike: 175.6% damage to crowd
Frost Blades: 141.8% damage to crowd
Static Strike: 159.4 * 0.6 = 95.64% damage to crowd
Molten Strike: 146.6 * 0.6 = 89.96% damage to crowd
Lightning Strike: 175.6 * 0.75 = 131.7% damage to crowd

Based on level 20 wiki figures - IF Wild Strike hit twice on single target:
Wild Strike: 175.6 * 2 = 351.2% single target
Earthquake 1-to-1: 109 * 2.5 = 272.5% single target
Static Strike: 159.4 * 1.6 = 255.04% single target
Dual Strike: 104 * 2 = 208% single target
Cleave dualwield: 163.2% * 0.6 * 2 = 195.84% single target
Heavy Strike: 193.7% single target
Double Strike: 96.6*2 = 193.2% single target

"Welcome to Path of Exile! Choose Blade Flurry, Wild Strike, or some skill that deals a fraction of the damage!"

I am sorry that offended you so much!

To me it's a bummer not because of a lack of OP'ness, but it makes the skill a lot simpler than I had thought. I was looking forward to juggling between the different ways of scaling the initial and secondary hits to maximize single target damage. Now, to me, the secondary hit becomes way more irrelevant and less important to scale perfectly because its only there to kill trash mobs, which is a very easy thing to accomplish. Again, sorry for saying bummer. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you!
You can still juggle melee hit and secondary effect scaling if you want. 175.6% is a pretty sweet multiplier, only 9.1% less damage than Heavy Strike and less than 1% less than overlapping Lacerate.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info