Lightning Strike

Unavailable

Post your 0.9.6 feedback for this skill here.

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Balance & Design
Last bumped on May 30, 2022, 8:46:03 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
I hate to be the first one to leave negative feedback, but I don't like this skill very much.

I started using Lightning Strike on my level 11 spell-oriented templar after picking it up as a quest reward. It seemed quite a bit more effective than most of the spells I had picked up for the level, despite not really being optimized for a weapon skill. I only played about a level before I transferred it to my elemental weapon damage ranger who I had been waiting to try it out on since I first heard about it.

I tried it in chaos and merci ledge with several different weapons, both one handed and two handed, and borrowed a high level multi projectile and pierce gem to test various supports as well. While it seems generally effective with most of the weapon/support combos I tried, I soon started to realize that this is more of a weapon-based spell like ground slam than it is an attack skill, and is probably inferior to both for most purposes.

Trying to use this skill as a melee skill makes it difficult to aim the beams, which seem to be the source of the majority of the skill's damage. Attempting to use it at range more like a spell is also problematic because it lacks the fine control of most multi projectile spells. The beams are widely spaced at a near 90 degree angle and are completely fixed.

This seems to make the skill best at mid range, but due to the projectile nature of the skill it will not hit all of the mobs, even with a large amount of piercing, while something like ground slam (which has a similar arc) will.

It's entirely possible that the build I tried this on wasn't really optimal for the skill. But I think I had most of the things you'd really want for it (lots of weapon elemental damage, attack speed). I don't think leveling the gem further will change my opinion much, as it only seems to add a little more damage per level and doesn't change the overall mechanics of the skill.

Unavailable

I like the look of the lightning "beams", and the screen shake is fairly subtle (which is a very good thing). I just can't stand the mechanics of the skill. I also think that a lightning-based weapon attack is badly needed. I'd imagined the skill more as a chain lightning that jumps only once or twice from whatever you hit, only jumping if the distance was small enough. Maybe the imagining and anticipation has soured me to the reality of Lightning Strike.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
Last edited by UristMcDwarfy on Feb 8, 2012, 1:20:50 PM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
I am interested how does critical strike work with this skill . Can each lightning projectile do crit on impact ? if so will the crit chance be affected by +% to crit (specific weapon) for example skill Nightstalker for dagers .
As someone who's spent lots of time playing melee witches, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in this skill. It has the same problem as Ground Slam and Cleave, which is that in order to use it properly you need to constantly be kiting backwards. I've had enough of that nonsense on my marauders. I also don't like the fact that what seems to be the answer to melee combat with a witch is so watered down with ranged stuff; I want to melee! Finally, I find the style of firing projectiles at fixed angles to be boring and uninspired.

Rather than adding projectiles to the attack, consider converting a percentage of physical damage to lightning damage and spreading it between nearby enemies. If only one enemy is nearby, it takes 50% as lightning damage. If two enemies are nearby, each takes 25%, and so on. It should look like arcing electricity. It would add a strategic element to the skill (a fun one, as opposed to melee kiting) and it would be a good way to apply the shock debuff. Support gems for AoE and/or concentrated AoE would make it even more interesting.
The Amazon Basin: A Community of Friends Playing Games

http://www.theamazonbasin.com
"
Liquidator wrote:
I am interested how does critical strike work with this skill . Can each lightning projectile do crit on impact ? if so will the crit chance be affected by +% to crit (specific weapon) for example skill Nightstalker for dagers .
Yes, the projectiles will crit. Like most skills, the skill makes the crit roll once, so in most cases either the whole attack (projectiles and initial strike) will be a crit, or none of it will.
The skill is an attack, and both the projectiles and the initial hit deal weapon damage, and will be affected by weapon-specific bonuses.
while the last two did not like the spell. I for one loved it... for once claws and daggers get a ability that can clear waves of mobs.

im level 38 or so. its really good with crit damage... when you would usually one shot one mob with a normal white attack you end up one shotting the mob you were hitting and killing or almost killing everything behind it.

I'm a ranger using dual claws and have power charges. but im thinking about switching to just frezny... not really sure yet though. from 24-30 it was a bit underwhelming. but then the gem caught up in levels and it more then pulls its own weight.

at least for a spec that didn't have aoe before... i'm happy with it. did not like flicker because i literally didn't aim and just held right click and watched tv while did it... it was super boring and couldn't get past 30.

this is what i have so far... probably change it up a bit once i get some regrets... not liking the added lighting damage...

i found out just flat damage is way more useful then and lighting/elemental weapon. mainly because any thing i pick up will only effect 50% of my power... where as just flat passives effect it all. basically 50% extra physical damage = 100% weapon elemental damage in this build because it only converts 50% into lightning.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAAICEytRBQnIGgbARM8L6q9zDTEnnA2QyGYQLAYTEJrlfRd-l-IZ7Z6AL0-dhjbg-NA6_biGQKMa1EFFPBhEIAmgWLU_T2HYVYljOr_IZKZQtG-NjTNzvsqZdigTz32eFiZ_qsgeuFbXl-AgJyn54Xiv6o7qmPPzVm738KfCjDz5v4DqM6S7AlI0lsY0CYczP2qNF2Jj7FxsnMtBHRGFynetqBRw8bIhSHrII_Rg
Come by my stream! I answer questions about builds and just general useful information!

http://www.twitch.tv/namtro
If the lightning projectiles are considered a skill, are they considered ranged or melee?
Walking the path since August 20th 2011.
"
Drudley wrote:
If the lightning projectiles are considered a skill, are they considered ranged or melee?

they are considered ranged. if you really wanted to... you could get anything with +% projectile damage and it would effect it. but it would only effect 50% of your damage. you are better off getting melee bonus's
Come by my stream! I answer questions about builds and just general useful information!

Why doesnt this skill say:
Cannot be used with wands ???

I was so happy getting this one one my dual wander witch.
Well until i equiped it and found out doesnt work with wands.
Clan Admin -> www-clan-da.com
http://da.xfire.com/profile/dmolisher/videos/poe/
Alt-O-Holic ... too many to name --> HC
Last edited by D_molisher on Feb 9, 2012, 7:57:57 AM
"
D_molisher wrote:
Why doesnt this skill say:
Cannot be used with wands ???

I was so happy getting this one one my dual wander witch.
Well until i equiped it and found out doesnt work with wands.

it says on the gem "infuses your melee weapon" in the first 4 words... seems like a "cannot be used by wands" quote to me

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info