Development Manifesto: Breach As a Core Game Mechanic

"
Sagonator wrote:
Schallenging mechanic

It's challenging only because broken.

When you open breach you don't know how many monsters will spawn. Sometimes breach are EMPTY, serious, I'm not joking. But another time you instantly rapped by 10+ rares. Most fun then one of that rares have invincibility aura.

Breachlord domains encouraging speed meta builds and penalize any other.

"Loot pinata's" not worth this. Especially when from Chayula breach you got a common trash unique and from Chayula kill - nothing.

But do not get me wrong: breach is a good concept. But GGG must do a lot of changes to bring that broken shit into core game. Or leave it to lvl8 Zana.
E = mc^(OMG)/wtf
Only OP Builds gonna love this one @ GGG (endgame wise), so don't ruin the game experience by adding Breach the same way it is now.
For example, instead of letting the Breach expand by the time it is active, you could apply the Breach Dimension to a predefined area and as soon as you have cleared that Area, one of the Bosses will spawn or a heavy hitting Pack that dropps additional currency/has increased MF Modifier.
So you still have to be quick because of the case, that the Breach will eventually collapse, but on the other side you can decide to clear it or not and go rogue/not?!?

I think this would be a solution that doesn't affect Players who were struggeling this Season and also those who loved it. And at long last it would be far more comfortable for the Server/Client.

I hope I could add some usefull input here.
From Hunter and Gatherer,
to Role-Playing Games
Last edited by Ranker on Feb 14, 2017, 4:30:04 AM
I'd love it if they added the breaches to the core game.

And, as already said, if someone doesn't like the breaches -> just don't open it.
Another problem with breeches is how much loot they drop. I used my build to clear tier 14+ ones and it was incredible, like a mini map full of loot explosions. They even drop maps, the rare monsters inside them I think. If they become a core game thing and you decide to ignore them after some time you'll start lagging behind, no way around that. Compare it to things like essences, prophecies, etc, you don't care much even if you ignore them.

One solution would be to make breeches open with keys, this way you can sell the keys and profit even without opening them. Otherwise the meta blade vortex or whatever the heck will thrive way too much. Rich will become richer at an even faster rate.

The prophecies are especially great even though their league was underwhelming. You can sell the silver coins or an already made prophecy, thus you can profit without bothering to actually do them. With breeches it'll be do or not and get screwed over.
Last edited by Johny_Snow on Feb 14, 2017, 7:38:29 AM
Map mode or something for breaches , they are interesting to play but can be very annoying with invis project. or mobs.
I like turtles...and breaches.
"
StorgutBorsit wrote:
Nooooooo. Even if I played this league intense I hate the breach mechanic so much. Its only enjoyable for High End Computers.
Its already a big problem that you, GGG, add more and more stuff that needs a lot of GPU and CPU Power.

If you think about an add, than via a Zana Mod. To make some space at Zana, pls add one of the other Zana Mapmods to the Core Game like Shrines or what not.

what a useless post. like they wouldn't add a league feature to either the main game or zana EVER

that's like going to a metallica concert and being happy when they play enter sandman *facepalm*
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
Last edited by LMTR14 on Feb 14, 2017, 8:50:05 AM
"
Asmosis wrote:
"
Tolbby wrote:
I sure hope not. I quit playing after dying to invisible mobs I couldn't see or have knowledge of their existence after fleeing a breach. The breach wasn't even visible on my screen, and then *bonk*bonk*bonk* I'm in standard softcore.

If you dont like them, dont open them. pretty simple.

FAIL

that would put you behind your competition. "if you don't like x, then don't x" is NEVER a valid argument!!!
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
breaches WOULD be fine as a core mechanic IF the number of monsters spawned and whether a boss is spawned is NOT dependent on any factors like damage or developer's current disappointment in life itself BUT fixed instead like with perandus boxes and strongboxes. and all uniques that drop MUST be breach uniques - if any other unique would roll, it becomes a rare instead.

and only in that case.
"
DoEFotGS wrote:
"
Athnamos wrote:
I haven't seen invisible monsters and projectiles so far on my end.

Try to stay outside opened breach, but 1/4 of screen close to them. Oh, yes, to understand why is so important - do it in map tier 11+.

But that's not a bug, that's part of the mechanic, as I understood the Breach descriptions. You might dislike it and ask GGG to change that, of course - I just don't think it's a bug.

Double "other allies cannot die" do sound nasty, I haven't encountered those (yet), fortunately. Haven't had much time to play lately, though, still haven't come further than low-tier maps, so I might run into them later.

But either way, I very much enjoy breaches (even with the occasional lag) and fully support them remaining in the core game. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info