NZGDC 2016 Developer Presentation: Labyrinth Design

"
djAMPnz wrote:

EDIT: Until recently, the poison dart traps were my least favourite, that was until I started my first real CI build. Now they don't really bother me.

That basicly works for the whole game content.
"
mlangwor wrote:
the lab sucks, remove ascendancy from it

+1
Does it really take some of you an hour to do the lab? FFS, if I was that slow I'd hate it too (and no, I don't run a 1000% MS build for lab runs, I just look up the layout and go quickly. Takes like 15 minutes usually, tops).
Last edited by tubasteve on Jan 24, 2017, 10:36:37 PM
"
Shovelcut wrote:
"
Galtrovan wrote:
Lab needs changes
- After killing Izaro in the 3rd phase, all the trap BS needs to deactivate. Nothing like killing Izaro and then being teleported into a trap minefield and getting killed after the fact. Waste of an hour.

Or, ya know, don't stand in the green teleporting ring thingy. ;)

It's no different than fighting Piety, killing her yet still being killed by her lightning warp after she's been dead. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7JY44TfTc0

No, it's completely different. With Piety, you cuss and go back in and pick up your loot. With Izaro, you are ffffed, just wasted an hour of your life, no two hours, because you have to start the ffff over and do it again to get your 2 skill points. It's BS. Period.
Discussion of the Lab always brings strong feelings about it. I am glad that they made it so that we only have to do the trials once per season. I don't mind that Ascendancy is tied to the lab. I've completed it with evasion, ES, armor, and life builds so I really don't understand how folks say some builds can aand others cannot...I play on my own with no trading...I have never read on game mechanics or read build guides (or watched them). I don't see the lab as difficult, nor is it overly time consuming. (25-30 minutes maybe...and i am not trying to do it at breakneck speed at all).

It is nice to be able to read this doc to understand some decisions, and recall what challenges you had to overcome to even make this possible.

It is also nice to have an area that has a different ruleset. Some don't seem fond of it, but some of us do like the change of pace for a bit.
more rips in lab, hype
"
tubasteve wrote:
Does it really take some of you an hour to do the lab? FFS, if I was that slow I'd hate it too (and no, I don't run a 1000% MS build for lab runs, I just look up the layout and go quickly. Takes like 15 minutes usually, tops).

This post brings up a good question for the Lab developers:
(This question is NOT a response to the quoted poster)

If the layout can be (and is probably expected to be) looked up online to bypass the 'challenge' of navigating it, then why not just display the correct route in the mini map?

And if you intend to make navigating the labyrinth a true challenge, why is each unique instance not completely randomized?

It seems that for people who hang out in reddit and other 3rd party websites, the main 'challenge' involved with navigating the lab is actually not a challenge at all.

Why is there no randomization?

(Turns out there's more than one question in there)
nice.

(3 month leagues are too long. 2 months is better.)
Interesting. Good work :)
What can change the nature of a man?
I love the lab and think it's a great addition to the game, along with the ascendancy classes/nodes. I'd MUCH rather run the lab than maps.

I get so sick of rolling and running maps. Always the same maps (only want the linear ones that can cleared with minimal effort,no intersections or side areas that need to be explored, and weak-sister bosses). And always the same mods - oops, this one doesn't have packsize, reroll; this one has tc or reflect, reroll, etc.

Then you spend all of five minutes flasking around killing trash mobs that any build lvl 60+ could with little effort, another 2 mins to pick up decent loot and do it again, and again, and again, and again. If I wanted that, I'd just play one of those awful clicker games that seem to be so popular now.

Lab's a great change to the above flash-and-dash garbage that everyone seems to think is the core of this game. Now you've got to think, react, and actually watch what's going on on the screen, not just spam your attack skill and/or flasks.

Yes, some builds have a tougher time than others in the lab, and yes, you can die to an unfortunate lag spike. I've died to both, many, many times - sometimes it's a double crit from Izaro that I didn't flask in time for, sometimes a string of traps that I didn't dodge well or got caught by a slow field or a pack of mobs that prevented me from moving out quickly enough.

But I keep going back, because to me, it's just way more enjoyable. And the current rewards seem right with the silver chests, hidden coffers, and treasure chests and enchantment if you manage to defeat the final Izaro. That way I don't feel I've lost too much in terms of drops as opposed to running 10 or so maps that the lab takes.

Maybe there's a way to help out those builds who seems to suffer most when running the lab, but please do not remove the lab or it's rewards.

And for heaven's sake, please don't just gift ascendancy points at level intervals as one poster suggested. Not saying those have to be earned from running lab like it is now, but please don't cave to the "Gimme Uber Nao" generation. Make 'em earn it, somehow.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info