Q and A about what it means to follow Christ

I'd like to start a Q and A about what it means to follow Christ. For instance:

Q: Why does God let crappy things happen to us. Seriously, my life is a country song.

Last bumped on Apr 17, 2017, 12:05:49 AM
A: God has a larger "top down" view of your life, and knows that the most important thing is for you to rely on Him so you can join Him in heaven. As such, he doesn't prevent some crappy things from happening so that the circumstances will make you call on Him.
All your values (aka crappy things) are a subjective viewpoint from a limited mind. On the highest level; pain, love, life, death, and most everything is irrelevant. It is our own ego (sense of self) which blockades our inner sight from witnessing the complete oneness of the universe.
Without the bad, there cannot be good. At the root, it is this separation which we think is important. But in the holistic vision, us mortals are little more than animals with primitive desires and emotions.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
"
SkyCore wrote:
All your values (aka crappy things) are a subjective viewpoint from a limited mind. On the highest level; pain, love, life, death, and most everything is irrelevant. It is our own ego (sense of self) which blockades our inner sight from witnessing the complete oneness of the universe.
Without the bad, there cannot be good. At the root, it is this separation which we think is important. But in the holistic vision, us mortals are little more than animals with primitive desires and emotions.

Context is important. Removing all context to get to the "highest level" isn't always helpful. Reality is a construct of the mind. All these things like pain, love, life, or death, are important to us. That is our reality, so that is what is important.
Why do so many Christians have a fetish for a scantily clad man on a cross? Why is this the idol for their religion? I always found this kinda creepy.

Why do you consume the body and blood of "Christ"? Isn't that cannibalism? Even in a ritual sense, that seems really strange.

Considering the cannibalistic nature of Christianity, what makes you think anyone would ever admit to being "Christ" out of fear of being chopped up, and passed around to be consumed by Christians?

Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Jan 24, 2017, 7:25:50 PM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
Why do so many Christians have a fetish for a scantily clad man on a cross? Why is this the idol for their religion? I always found this kinda creepy.

Why do you consume the body and blood of "Christ"? Isn't that cannibalism? Even in a ritual sense, that seems really strange.

Considering the cannibalistic nature of Christianity, what makes you think anyone would ever admit to being "Christ" out of fear of being chopped up, and passed around to be consumed by Christians?

Eh? Christ is the crux of everything. Being perfect, he died a death reserved for the worst of the criminals of that day, received punishment that we deserved, and now God sees that redemption and sacrifice when He looks at us instead of the ways we fall short.

And about the cannibalism, Christ is just using a metaphor to say that we will need to make sacrifices in a similar way. For example the Apostle Paul being imprisoned quite often, or Stephen being stoned. "Drink of my cup", similar to "walk in my shoes".

Regarding your last sentence, it is because of context. In the context of that moment of "being chopped up", or stoned like Stephen, or whatever it may be--sure that doesn't seem worth it. But if we look in the context of Eternity, trusting God and wanting to get to eternity, it is worth it. Context is important. Removing all context like what SkyCore was implying, doesn't work. Having too small of a context--looking only at the moment--doesn't work either.
"
Tribulation wrote:

Eh? Christ is the crux of everything. Being perfect, he died a death reserved for the worst of the criminals of that day, received punishment that we deserved, and now God sees that redemption and sacrifice when He looks at us instead of the ways we fall short.

So gawd doesn't hate me because some bloke supposedly died on a cross 2000+ years ago? Makes perfect sense.

"

And about the cannibalism, Christ is just using a metaphor to say that we will need to make sacrifices in a similar way.

No thanks. I'd rather not be nailed to a cross.

"

Regarding your last sentence, it is because of context. In the context of that moment of "being chopped up", or stoned like Stephen, or whatever it may be--sure that doesn't seem worth it. But if we look in the context of Eternity, trusting God and wanting to get to eternity, it is worth it. Context is important. Removing all context like what SkyCore was implying, doesn't work. Having too small of a context--looking only at the moment--doesn't work either.

Christians should eat me instead. To put this into context, you'd be consuming part of the evil in the world and transitioning it into a source that's less threatening (poop). By doing this, you'd be securing eternity.
"
SkyCore wrote:
It is our own ego (sense of self) which blockades our inner sight from witnessing the complete oneness of the universe.<snip> But in the holistic vision, us mortals are little more than animals with primitive desires and emotions.
The last sentence logically follows from the first.
IF
1. the components of the mind are id, ego, and superego
2. the id is primitive animal desires
3. the ego is the internal rationalizer of sensory data
4. the superego is the personal store of the rationalizations of others, and
5. all egos are worthless,
THEN because all rationalizations began in an ego at some point, all superegos are also worthless,
THEREFORE only the id matters.

However, if that were true, you wouldn't be capable of typing it up, and I wouldn't be capable of logic. Therefore, it is false.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jan 24, 2017, 10:12:14 PM
Attending theological seminars, I can tell you this. The raw was taken out of the Bible... Many uncultured or uneducated individuals whom practice any religion related to the mainstream bible don't know the holy book was edited.

I think what bothers me the most is how some preach without any knowledge or knowing of the history of his or her religion. If people only knew the actual rhymes and fairy tales, the origin of their existence.

Did you folks know that the cross actually had a piece of wood between the crotch of the many men AND woman that have been crucified? No... I didnt think so...

Edit: Almost forgot... People set themselves up for failure... Amen.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Jan 24, 2017, 10:23:23 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
SkyCore wrote:
It is our own ego (sense of self) which blockades our inner sight from witnessing the complete oneness of the universe.<snip> But in the holistic vision, us mortals are little more than animals with primitive desires and emotions.
The last sentence logically follows from the first.
IF
1. the components of the mind are id, ego, and superego
2. the id is primitive animal desires
3. the ego is the internal rationalizer of sensory data
4. the superego is the personal store of the rationalizations of others, and
5. all egos are worthless,
THEN because all rationalizations began in an ego at some point, all superegos are also worthless,
THEREFORE only the id matters.

However, if that were true, you wouldn't be capable of typing it up, and I wouldn't be capable of logic. Therefore, it is false.

Im not talking about freudian psychology (which is all kinds of wrong), im talking about the sense of self. Ego perhaps was a poor choice, but i explicitly stated what i meant in parentheses.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info