How We Approach Console Development

"
Black_Gun wrote:
another example: the old, pre-nerf pathfinder class. on the pc, you could move, attack and constantly use flasks at virtually the same time. on the console, you would have needed one hand to control the movement joystick, one hand to use the flasks and one hand to use the skill buttons. so essentially, the old pathfinder playstyle would not work with console controls. guess what, they changed it. just like all the recently introduced active skill gems use directional targeting and big aoe. just like the nerf to not only the admittedly over-the-board coc discharge but to ALL coc builds really helps them stay within the performance limitations of the xbox.

thats why i think too, and it makes me sad. e.g. high end PCs had never problems with the old discharge mjölner. so it seems they nerfed all that stuff, so they can play it on xbox without lags :/
My Builds & Hideouts: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2083383
Hideout Community Discord: https://discord.gg/B2xQkmf
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Dralanorr
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/guggelhupf
"
Chris wrote:
When we started our Xbox One project in 2015, we looked at how other online game communities reacted to the announcement of a console version of those games. While many players were excited, some were disappointed and had a few fears:
  • The fear that development resources would be spent on a version of the game that didn't directly benefit that player.
  • The fear that the PC version would be modified to become more similar to the new console version.

After we saw other communities reacting like this, we internally pledged to make sure that our development of the console version of Path of Exile took these concerns into account.

We hired new team members specifically for the the console project. They were directly responsible for the massive improvements to frame rate, client load times, memory use, as well as the introduction of the 64-bit client, DirectX 11 renderer and new audio system. These changes were immediately released to the PC version as soon as they were available. Even if you're not a console gamer, this project improved the game for you.

We haven't modified the game content on the PC version due to any console decisions. When we realised that the controls of the console version dictate four flask slots, we didn't remove a flask slot from PC. People have suggested that we add console controller support to the PC version, but that would require changing how skills work to support it, and that's not a rabbit hole that we want to go down. The development and direction of the PC version has not and will not change due to the existence of the console version.

The announcement today will not only create a vibrant console Path of Exile community, but will bolster the PC one over time. We're really pleased at reading all of the excited posts from people (inside our community and outside) who are eager to play Path of Exile on Xbox One. We saw concerns from players who are worried about the above topics, and wanted to use this manifesto post to reassure them that we planned around those concerns going into this.

I hope you enjoyed the new trailer and spotted a few of the easter eggs that hint at the massive amount of content we'll be announcing next month!

I want a PS4 Version. . . .
Chroniccomplainerreviews.wordpress.com

Your source for quality honest reviews to save you time and money!
It is soooo good, sorry GGG :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMVgVam3W38
Yesterday's announcement stirred me; I wrote a post of concern for the first time on this forum.
It was polite, and I stayed out of the endless salt mines of Internet Avenue.
However, after giving it some thought, I must say...I have a lot of trust in GGG and if there is someone who knows how to make this move right, it's GGG. So you know what? This will be amazing for everyone. This will make me want to buy an Xbox just to play PoE. I'll invest that good thought in you along with the supporter packs.
And a huge thanks to Chris for communicating this and handling the pressure with grace. Thanks a lot! :)

Let's get excited for PoE's 2017 and see where it takes us!
Exile is an illusion, exile!
Please Chris swear to me that it really won't affect negatively the PC version. Look deep in my eyes and swear! Also... no homo kappa
Last edited by MowgliTheBoy on Jan 19, 2017, 2:10:00 PM
GGG has always been in the right path and kept improving. A lot of console games, like fighting game, have a way higher execution/skill cap.

Some concern about the console release is understandable but if the creator of the game address these concerns, there isn't really any sense in doubting his words.

This statement by Chris was obvious for me:

"
This has been in progress in at least planning form since 2014, so if you're happy with Forsaken Masters, The Awakening, Ascendancy and Atlas of Worlds then I suspect you'll be happy with our future expansions also. Those expansions were also developed with a console version in mind. There's no difference to how we're developing them.
"
Chris wrote:

We hired new team members specifically for the the console project. They were directly responsible for the massive improvements to frame rate, client load times, memory use, as well as the introduction of the 64-bit client, DirectX 11 renderer and new audio system. These changes were immediately released to the PC version as soon as they were available. Even if you're not a console gamer, this project improved the game for you.

"Chris Wilson 2017"
/facepalm
"Sorry for my bad English"
I'm curious about future development.
A skill like Storm Call, for example, just doesn't work with a controller.

I'm happy to hear that it won't be changed on PC, but now that there's a console version with parallel development, will future concepts be pruned out at the concepting stage since they simply don't translate well to console? That's my real concern. Not that you screw up everything that already exists, or 'simplify' gameplay systems since supporting a single version is more economical than two (it is a worry, but you say you won't and I trust you) - but that all new content will have to be considered in light of how well it can be adapted to console/controller, and things that just won't work well there (like Storm Call) will simply never see the light of day.
Last edited by Galadedrid on Jan 19, 2017, 2:59:34 PM
"
weezamon wrote:
more PoE for more ppl should be good. except it's for fucking casuals who will shit up the game with their tiny brains and cocks!!!!!! grrrrrr im mad

Stop it with the attitude towards "casuals" already - I'm a casual n00b hoarder that supports the game and will continue to support it as long as it remains a "fun" experience, and yet I still want greater difficulty but also more balance regarding even EXP/loot in endgame and a better ride from 1-100 than just chaining tier 10-12 maps for fast and safe leveling...

I hope that the console version is more visceral and more focused on the action part of gameplay, and the PC one will retain a more tactical approach to monster encounters, but also I would enjoy a better experience via technical improvements - I still use a full AMD powered notebook, and I still dream that PoE will work on it at least as good as on an XBoxXBx One, if not better, as we seriously need to be more able to set a target FPS (a cap besides V-Sync), and more control towards the amount of graphical effects, even jumping to a i5 4430 + AMD R9 290X still suffers severe FPS drops when using Lightning Strike + Multistrike + Faster Attacks so there is a lot of work ahead regarding skill/support gems interaction, not to mention all those different mechanics - Perandus, Essence, Breach etc.

I wish that GGG kept us in the loop more, and explained better their vision regarding the future of PoE, so no supporter would have felt betrayed, but they might surprise us still...

Patiently waiting for 3.0...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
"
ReMa86 wrote:
It is soooo good, sorry GGG :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMVgVam3W38

Funniest

Video

EVER

!!!

I'm pissing myself laughing!

On a serious note, I'm scared that this will seriously hurt PoE more than the actual lack of balancing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info