Path of Exile Talent Competition Winners!

Some epic stuff here! Great job!
It's amazing to see some of the quality of stuff that has been produced here. I do feel like some of the ones that ended up in the 'runner up' category got a bit of a raw deal though. I mean, I would have rated a path of exile card game (the time and thought that must have gone into balancing it, designing the art on the cards and so on) above any piece of music. Music isn't even actually PoE related really. I mean, unless they take some sounds that are already a part of the soundscape of the game and then stick those sounds into the music they've made. But that's not making anything Path of Exile related, it's just sticking a bunch of sounds which they weren't involved in producing into a piece of music that they've made so that they can subsequently say that the piece of music is "Path of Exile" related/inspired. By contrast, the path of exile card game is directly Path of Exile related/inspired, by definition. Sad to see that beaten out by a musical submission. I think a similar point can probably be made for any piece of visual art. That picture of inside the belly of the beast, for instance, doesn't use any of the original artwork, but it is inarguably PoE inspired. Same story.
Last edited by HoneyBadGerMan on Jan 18, 2017, 12:24:31 AM
"
Music isn't even actually PoE related really. I mean, unless they take some sounds that are already a part of the soundscape of the game and then stick those sounds into the music they've made. But that's not making anything Path of Exile related, it's just sticking a bunch of sounds which they weren't involved in producing into a piece of music that they've made so that they can subsequently say that the piece of music is "Path of Exile" related/inspired.

Ironically, the ones with original lyrics didn't win anything (yet). I've seen a few acoustic pieces, and I myself had written a song about the first act of PoE named "Welcome to Wraeclast", but none of us made it to the top. Now most of us who did that actually wrote something ABOUT PoE from scratch, recorded it and mastered it. Somehow, by spamming samples over an admittedly good EDM track, most of of them won. Can't say I'm a little salty about this :/ (Minus that piece from Top 3. That was amazing.)

On the side notes, congratulations to all the participants! Still hoping for that runner-up tomorrow (and damn, some of my favorites like the GGG light-up box didn't win).

Also, that Discharge build looks pretty fun actually.

Edit: Actually, the time and effort put into a piece of music that's properly recorded, engineered, designed, written, planned is more or less the same as any effort of that card game. Any form of art- music, drawing or that card game- takes dedication and effort.

Edit: Salt salt salt salt
Last edited by s1ngap0rek1d on Jan 18, 2017, 12:42:38 AM
I'm glad that mjolnir won and my favorite piece of art was runner up. There were TONS of great submissions though.
Censored.
"
This community is so talented

^^This

that Piety is doll is cute af

also fingers crossed for getting into next wave of runner ups.
amazing talents! Grats to the winners.
"
s1ngap0rek1d wrote:
Ironically, the ones with original lyrics didn't win anything (yet). I've seen a few acoustic pieces, and I myself had written a song about the first act of PoE named "Welcome to Wraeclast", but none of us made it to the top. Now most of us who did that actually wrote something ABOUT PoE from scratch, recorded it and mastered it. Somehow, by spamming samples over an admittedly good EDM track, most of of them won. Can't say I'm a little salty about this :/ (Minus that piece from Top 3. That was amazing.)

Edit: Actually, the time and effort put into a piece of music that's properly recorded, engineered, designed, written, planned is more or less the same as any effort of that card game. Any form of art- music, drawing or that card game- takes dedication and effort.

Yeah, I'm not claiming that the time, effort, and skill required to make a piece of music isn't substantial. Of course it is. I'm just pointing out that it's not really explicitly Path of Exile related. By contrast almost everything about making the card game would have had to be in some way Path of Exile related.

But that's a really good point about original lyrics. That's something in a piece of music that could most definitely be PoE related. But I didn't listen to everything in the thread, I just saw a disappointing piece of EDM with some sampled PoE sounds thrown into it in the top three and went "Bleh, the card game was better".
Last edited by HoneyBadGerMan on Jan 18, 2017, 1:02:39 AM
"
s1ngap0rek1d wrote:
"
Music isn't even actually PoE related really. I mean, unless they take some sounds that are already a part of the soundscape of the game and then stick those sounds into the music they've made. But that's not making anything Path of Exile related, it's just sticking a bunch of sounds which they weren't involved in producing into a piece of music that they've made so that they can subsequently say that the piece of music is "Path of Exile" related/inspired.

On the side notes, congratulations to all the participants! Still hoping for that runner-up tomorrow (and damn, some of my favorites like the GGG light-up box didn't win).

Also, that Discharge build looks pretty fun actually.

I'm kinda salty just because edm music actualy made it to the top.. It got nothing to with Path of exile and (My opinion incoming!) the soundtracks aren't great, they're too "light" on the sounds while Path of exile is supposed to be a dark and gritty game. And honestly just having the voices in there doesnt make it good, I feel like they are forced into the music.

Anyways, congrats to all the winners :) Truly some talented people in there! Personal favorite was hand crafted Mjölner and the card game!
dat mjolner!!!! whoa
Fucking awesome!! CZ EVERYONE!
"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info