Upcoming Content Releases

"
sidtherat wrote:
'big buffs to 1h melee WEAPONS'

there are at least 3 issues in this one sentence alone:

- 6% is not exactly big
- 1h/2h melee DAMAGE is currently pretty well balanced. if you think otherwise i suggest asking GOOD players why it is so (few tips: Disfavor, bad 1h uniques comparing to Disfavor, no useful 1h sword uniques (scaeva bug was actually a 'good' bug)). if you buff 1h weapons up to 2h damage levels - then what is the point of having 2h melee in the game? no block, no speed but the same damage? who cares then.
- weapons IS NOT the problem. it is the 'melee' part that is the problem. you wont solve it by doubling weapon damage and/or introducing yet another ranged flurry or some other crap. you HAVE to gut ranged - you know that but you are affraid.

want to see why damage is not the problem? load normal ledge (so your weapon deals ZILLIONS damaga) with lightning arrow guy and a melee guy. and tell me who does the job better. see - damage is NOT the problem. the SICK AOE/utility disparity is the problem. and you cannot fix it without gutting ranged somehow - be it 'leech from nearby enemies' or 'cannot offscreen' or 'attack can hit 8 enemies maximum' or whatever else. other games did stuff like this just because otherwise there is 0 reason to keep melee in the game.

but most people play ranged - because it is the sensible thing to do given that it is THE BEST way to play this game - and you cannot piss them off. congrats, this is what happens when you let stupid things persist for too long.

Melee and ranged end game clear with remarkable gear is about the same with melee potentially coming out ahead.

Base damage buffs to melee weapons will go A LONG way to bridge the supposed gap.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Jan 9, 2017, 12:20:27 AM
"
sidtherat wrote:
'big buffs to 1h melee WEAPONS'

there are at least 3 issues in this one sentence alone:

- 6% is not exactly big
- 1h/2h melee DAMAGE is currently pretty well balanced. if you think otherwise i suggest asking GOOD players why it is so (few tips: Disfavor, bad 1h uniques comparing to Disfavor, no useful 1h sword uniques (scaeva bug was actually a 'good' bug)). if you buff 1h weapons up to 2h damage levels - then what is the point of having 2h melee in the game? no block, no speed but the same damage? who cares then.
- weapons IS NOT the problem. it is the 'melee' part that is the problem. you wont solve it by doubling weapon damage and/or introducing yet another ranged flurry or some other crap. you HAVE to gut ranged - you know that but you are affraid.

want to see why damage is not the problem? load normal ledge (so your weapon deals ZILLIONS damaga) with lightning arrow guy and a melee guy. and tell me who does the job better. see - damage is NOT the problem. the SICK AOE/utility disparity is the problem. and you cannot fix it without gutting ranged somehow - be it 'leech from nearby enemies' or 'cannot offscreen' or 'attack can hit 8 enemies maximum' or whatever else. other games did stuff like this just because otherwise there is 0 reason to keep melee in the game.

but most people play ranged - because it is the sensible thing to do given that it is THE BEST way to play this game - and you cannot piss them off. congrats, this is what happens when you let stupid things persist for too long.

Where is this 6% figure coming from?

And, while I agree in spirit with your claim, to be fair to them, I have to admit that were I in their position right now, even I would be scared to implement changes as drastic as the ones you mention (well, except for off-screening - that could probably get through). It would take balls of steel for GGG to 'gut' ranged that much. And yet, the 'natural' advantages are just so stacked that anything short of that kind of step will never be able to fix the problem completely. And by that I mean 'natural' advantages which are also the reason why guns destroyed swords as an effective weapon in the real world i.e. it's just simply better to kill from range - bows were tricky and also effectively countered by armor, before anyone brings that up. In all probability they'll just tweak the numbers somewhat again. Or introduce some new unbalanced melee skill to distract people. And I can't say I'd blame them. It really is difficult position to be in, especially if you're a small indie company that afford to piss off its playerbase too much. GGG has earned a lot of goodwill over the years, but still...

As for how it got this way...well, that's all water under the bridge at this point. It doesn't change the fact that it'd take an unnaturally thick skin to be able to 'gut' ranged as much as is needed to overcome the fact that it's just straight out a better way of fighting.
Last edited by Exile009 on Jan 9, 2017, 12:34:52 AM
Daggers are getting a buff? O.o
Okeeeeey...
Avert thy gaze, child!

IGN: Shadowrope

Standard Warrior
Problem:
If 1 handed gets buffed then so does dualwielding which will make it significantly stronger, problem with that is that there are strong builds in game with 1handed builds, so everyone is going to go with 2 1h weapon gets more life leech and a shield isnt even gonna be used anymore.
Hello guys.
"
Ravenstrider wrote:
Daggers are getting a buff? O.o
Okeeeeey...

They've nerfed crit before. They can (and should) nerf crit again.
i love that you guys focus on transparancy, many games could learn from this!
keep it up!
Sooo... we'll have five acts right?? and what about the difficulties? i don't wanna do FIVE acts 3 TIMES
the game itself right now is boring as shit and one more act would ruin it.
I'm not Brazilian.
Sounds well planned heh. The real question though: will there be a flashback league? (please... the longer the better)
Last edited by pathfinding on Jan 9, 2017, 12:43:22 AM
GGG taking things to the next level. i always look forward to patches
"Contrariwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic." - Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass
I just started PoE this league. Love the game. Looking forward to playing the game more and seeing what you guys add.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info