What is the MINIMUM PvP needs? (ignore balance)

"
"
1Tokimeki2003 wrote:
"
lapiz wrote:
no offence lib but that was officially the most useless post of 2017

mulla calling someone a pussy would probably have been more helpful

Mulla calling someone pussy, is always helpful.

"
IceDeal wrote:
All this text about balance and not a single word about secondary damages and trigger gem, not expected at all ^^

I'm guessing, you can't really read inbetween the lines, as in, What damage type are secondary damage and trigger gems? That's right, Elemental and spells.

Most other problems has already been highlighted, there's no need for double post.

Also, is this your least offensive comment to me yet? Disappointing, Relowe is dethroning you. Or are you slowly falling for me?

I think if he wanted to insult you, he could imply that the only reason you use EA is because you're not actually good the game from a skill-based perspective and that you use the skill as a crutch. Or that you probably don't know as much as you say you do, and use the Arctic Armor + aura buffs idea of yours as possible evidence. If he wanted to be insulting, he'd say that kind of stuff. But he didn't, he just pointed out that you missed a couple of points, that's all :) IceDeal is just a friendly neighborhood PVPer/part-time manager at Chili's.

Should also mention that Bear Trap has secondary damage and it's not elemental or spell damage, and doesn't benefit from modifiers to either of those. Valve pls nerf secondary damage

Really bro?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1704588

Only reason Bear trap's so strong, is because it has huge X-Y physical damage, but later converted to elemental, scaled with elemental damage, and elemental penetration.

Did you miss the "(There's a reason, why every single "successful" pvp player/ huge damage is from elemental damage base)"

"
Márkusz wrote:
Lib, I can't agree with most of your suggestions.

Immunities could be indeed improved, but maybe not with an overall cap, but nerfing their sources, mostly thinking about Pathfinder itself. There is already a basic difference at being life or ES based, where life based have a naturally higher shock, freeze, and stun resistance, so ES directly has to build against them, so a global cap would cause a big difference between those. Building into full immunity to those should be still possible, but the opportunity cost should be looked at.

Reducing penetration values is many of the possible changes that would slow down the oneshot meta, but it's not the change we need, because the problem is rather the build diversity indifference, than the pace of the games. Nerfing penetration would affect inferior skills and builds as much as the top tier ones, leaving the overpowered builds still overpowered compared to the rest.

AoE overlap should be completely removed. Until it's in the game, whereever it works, it is the only viable way of building the given skill, and would cause the need to balance things around the fact that it works on those skills. Besides their overall overpowered state, the problem is that there are only a few options to skill AoE overlap, and not equally available to every build.
Through an example: GMP is easily available for everyone, for quite a cost, a gem slot and less damage, very fair. Additional arrow comes with no drawback, but the wealth required, but scales the damage by 7/5 = 40% on top of GMP. Snakepit(s) is only for spells, and costs a whole ring slot, other than that the same multiplier as +arrows. Dying sun, besides the cost of the item, has different effect on different builds: 1. Pathfinders can fit it onto the character more easily, as the less need of immunity flasks. 2. Pathfinders can keep up a longer overall duration, due to the charge generation, reduced consumption, and flat increased duration. 3. Pathfinders get an increased effect, just enough, but only exclusively available to them to make the +2 projectiles into +3. 4. In a case of your suggested nerf, Dying sun would be the most important item to counter the mentioned nerfed, making the difference between people using it and not using it even bigger. Dying sun is also the easiest way of the even fewer options to scale winter enchant, by an enourmous amount. Because of these huge numerical advantages, Dying sun becomes a musthave item, but it's cost is a separator factor among players, and also in itself asks for the class to be a Pathfinder, for the easy sustain and increased effect.
Looking at it from skill comparsion, the difference between skills using AoE overlap and skills that don't, is the biggest in the entire game, and the PvP formula does not reduce it's effect at all. In case of hitting with all projectiles, a GMP adds 400% greater damage after it's initial, not even comparable penalty. Notice I mentioned greater and not more, as the normal more multipliers in the game, do get affected by PvP formula, causing their actual multiplier to be halved, trisected, or even quartered depending on the actual damage values. If I want to compare a skill overlapping with 5 projectiles to a 1 projectile version, it means around a 800% - 1600% MORE damage multiplier. It is completely out of any "balance" this game ever had.

Besides the suggestions, let me help you clarify the misunderstandings you seem to have about T values and PvP damage formula. The T value is not in itself the factor the skill gets reduced by through the formula. The T value is a component of the PvP formula. A skill having a fixed T value is only a most of the time slight alteration / modification of the PvP formula, in the case of wallspam EA, it is actually minor. The common reduction multiplier for most build's damage is around 60-90%.

Wrapping up from the start: The PvP formula is a calculation that reduces the original damage values of skills by a significant amount. Attack / cast speed has to be the part of the formula, but altering the actual attack / cast speed of players is not an option, it has to apply to the damage as a multiplier, otherwise players would scale their DPS with attack speed, not affected by any reduction, and increasing the actual damage would be worthless. So the formula has two components, one is the damage, and the other is attack / cast speed. To make it easier, imagine it as graph, but instead of a straight line representing the different level of damages, imagine it as a curve, a line that goes less and less higher as you draw it further:

The formula has some numeric constants that apply to the damage input as multipliers, which in themselves make a curve like that, expressing to how much the damage gets reduced at certain points. On top of that we add the attack / cast TIME (THE ALMIGHTY T VALUE) as a multiplier to the formula.

Every skill going through the formula has a T value, by default their attack / cast time. Skills having a fixed T value means that the T value used in the calculation is a constant, and the damage of each of your hit is not affected by your attack / cast time at all, so you can scale your PvP DPS linearly by scaling speed. Fixed T values are usually set on skills which should do less or more damage they actually do, by giving them a T value, an attack / cast time assumption that they can hardly achieve. For example the cast time of motlen shell is 0.5, but they gave it a 1.2 T value, to increase it's damage, because on a normal build that waits for opponents to proc it will not do so that quickly.

Returning to the original example, EA: The old adjustment, the fixed 0.2 T value was designed to reduce the damage of arrows actually stacking on a player, to avoid oneshots, which had a slower attack time, so the T value affected it as a greater damage reduction.

Let's go through what happens to EA at different attack speeds.
EA with Quill Rain equipped only, and no speed multipliers, has a 3.0 attack speed, which means a 0.333 attack time, or default T value. This gets overriden by the fixed T value, which is 0.2. It means that all hits from it are calculated as if it was fired with a 0.2 attack time, so it punishes the damage due to it's greater speed.
If you stack attack speed and achieve a 5.0 attack speed, or a 0.2 attack time, it is equal to it's fixed T value, which means that the calculation is using the exact speed you are actually firing. At this point the PvP formula calculates the damage reduction AS IF IT'S A NORMAL SKILL WITH NO EXCEPTIONS, because the designed attack time is achieved.
The most surprising fact comes last, you can actually scale your attack speed so high, that the originally designed nerf becomes a buff to EA.
If you have 7.0 attack speed, your attack time, or T value is 0.143, the formula calculates as if you are firing slower, and giving you more damage than you would have without the fixed T value.

What you misunderstood is that the 70% reduction you mention, let's assume is correct, I did not calculate, it can be, is a perfectly normal reduction by the formula, most skills get similar multipliers compared to their original number, and it is not 70% in comparsion with EA without T value. Since you are having faster attack time than 0.2, if they would revert that nerf, you would actually do less damage.

I'm not the strongest one, when comparing to your numbers super powers. However the 70% came from your pvp calculator, a good long while ago, It took me a good few hours, and multiple posts, I enjoy learning, and I appreciate your effort in the post, I'm not really up for pumping those numbers into that calculator again, if you wanna run the test's again, you can borrow my gear.

If I remember correctly, according to the chart, a +3 bow, did a mere 200 flat more damage, than a quill rain +0 skill.

however if your hypothesis is true, that's fucking absurd, and GGG should fix it.

I see where you're coming from, if there's a global nerf to penetration values, across the board, as I'm not a fan of trolly aegis immortals myself (a safe guard should be in place, in 1vs1 matches (highest damage dealer wins, if draw)), but from a melee's stand point, it's a huge buff, and may be the push melee had needed since forever.

As right now's meta is, whoever can 1 shot first, with the quickest succession, with the quickest possible source of delivery. with these penetration nerf's inplace, slower and more sustainable damage spells would be infavor rather than, 1 shot, 1 kill spells/ attacks.

Immunity limits far too many builds, whispering ice's hypothermia/ curses etc, we'll have much greater build diversity alone, if immunity is removed / reduced, I greatly appreciate 1vs1's flask warfare, however imagine if you got full flask refill, after every round? So that PvP 1vs1 / 3vs3 is much much less, snowbally esk? (perhaps add a minute or 30 seconds per round though), I wouldn't even bother with pathfinder, I hope they wont go full inquisitor, and just remove it all together.

I believe we're roughly on the same page, apart from the tvalue slower > harder hit, bypass thing, which is news to me.
[Gear & Club] ¯\(°_°)/¯ #1 Professional Afk Club /2133058
[Hideout] New Oriath /2505008
[Pvp Trophy] PVP #1 EU & US EA /1591888 | | BM EA /1431163
[Dead] PSC La /1682118, Build BM PA /1296491, BM IG LL ST /1121092, Shop /874905
"God's in his Heaven, All's right with the world!" IGN: Libritannia
Last edited by 1Tokimeki2003 on Jan 10, 2017, 4:45:43 PM
It must have been correct then, and the point is, that skills do normally suffer reductions of that amount, it is not exclusive to EA, or nerfed skills, thats how the formula works.

The +3 to quill difference can be legit, because low attack speed EA suffers a big reduction due to the fixed T value. It was designed to nerf the top damage 5-stack EA, and not the current wallspam version.

It's not just a hypothesis, these are facts, confirmed by every aspect I know. I hope you understand the negative behaviour by others about EA better now.

The suggested penetration nerf, however could be positive, would still leave many significant problems intact, and promote yet another low playstyle effort build, CI fulltanks even more.
IGN: Márkusz
My builds: thread/1600072
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
For a PvP game to require any sort of player skill, the very core requires the following two things:

1. No 1-shots (or even close).

You can punish someone for bad positioning and chunk them significantly, but flat out dying instantly is a no-no. Especially with the skills we have in PoE. There needs to be a possibility for counter play.

Take Diablo 2 as the closest example. Their formula for damage was reducing it by a factor of 10. That may not be the most appropriate for Path of Exile, but it's fairly close. If all the damage we deal to each other was 1/10th of what it is now and rule #2 was in full effect, we'd actually have some real PvP fights on our end.

2. Damage needs to stick.

That means no absurd regen. Regen needs to be completely gutted to the point of becoming a long term sustain.

Flask use needs to be extremely limited as well. In a world where 1-shots and insane damage doesn't exist, for 1v1s and 3v3s, it would be perfectly fine for flasks to fully refill every new round, but have no way of filling from hits/crits/running. This severely limits instant healing and constant immunities. It forces you to utilize your flasks in moments where they're really needed and you don't have infinite sustain.

Obviously after that, you need to take care of T-values and AoE overlaps, but those 2 main rules apply to any balanced PvP game. League of Legends, Battlerite, Bloodline Champions, Dota, etc. The difference here is that we make our own champion through builds and game items. There can't be player-skill involved without those rules.

"
Rupenus wrote:
the MOST important thing about pvp in poe is that there is no rewards of playing pvp. no ranks, no alt arts for beeing top 3 in seasons, no tournaments, nothing. when you go to sarn arena, it's just a waste of time, cause you have nothing in return in terms of game. you can just get fun or ego satisfaction.

we need to have alt art rewards for the top 3-5-10(you name it) for each league, also for standard as well(standard rankings will start with each lague and will be renewed after league ends)

i even can supprt the idea that in sarn arena dead players drop loot. it sounds weird maybe, but sarn arena would be full of people.

Also this is very true. Whether it be from ranking on the PvP ladder to having PvP points to grind towards alt arts...Just having a fucking incentive to do it would be amazing.
Crit Shockwave Totem 650k +: #1657327 / Crit VMS (1 mil DPS): #1511368 / Crit self-cast spark: #1565708
1.3 crit firestorm: #1280086 / 1.3 crit Ice Nova: #1219809 / Flame Nova (sire of shards incinerate): #1359847
Last edited by Simplesim45 on Jan 10, 2017, 5:50:22 PM
"
lapiz wrote:
no offence lib but that was officially the most useless post of 2017

mulla calling someone a pussy would probably have been more helpful

Why'd you put me on ignore when I spectated HelloKitty mauling you in 1v1? I was merely a silent observer.
GGG, the ADA of gaming....huuuur i gotz mai skilz.
IGN: MullaXul
Last edited by MullaXul on Jan 10, 2017, 6:31:18 PM
Lib, I'm sure your attack speed is faster than 5 per sec. That means the fixed T-value for EA is actually a major help for your build. It probably acts as a free 7th link as another more damage multiplier for you at the moment. Basically the best skill for abusing aoe overlapping also gets help from the pvp formula.

Where as a guy a like mulla who uses glacial hammer with a 2hander has to use his attack speed of 2 per sec as his T-value (0,5). No help was had here from the pvp formula.

"
MullaXul wrote:

Why'd you put me on ignore when I spectated HelloKitty mauling you in 1v1? I was merely a silent observer.

I had to clear my ignore list a while ago because it was full. I just put you back where you belong
To answer OP directly w/o a text wall:

The MINIMUM PvP needs is:
Spoiler
just one week time and a good dev.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ - I suck at this game.
Simple start fixes :

- 100% less damages to all secondary damages skills and effect
(if it can't be fixed, nuke them out of pvp. We have plenty of skills to play around, secondary damages are an old design not used in new skills since at least 2 years).

- 100% less damages to all skills supported by a defensive trigger support
(you can still use them as defensive option)

- Make every spell supported by trap and mines behave like BF (no auto target) and increase the T value to compensate for the shotgun effect.

- Bring back 1vs1 arena layout rotation and include the 3vs3 layouts.

- Bring back old sarn arena minimap partial vision to nerf offscreening.

Bim, pvp is now 6% more fun (this is a buff).

Last edited by IceDeal on Jan 11, 2017, 11:49:26 AM
reduced T value - less pvp dps for big hits.
increased T value - more pvp dps at higher hit rate.

Trap override T to 0.9, it should be 0.2 instead.
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess
Last edited by a_z0_9 on Jan 11, 2017, 7:39:37 AM
Actually cluster trap and mindefield needs a different T value than single trap/mine. Currently it causes a very big reduction bypass.
IGN: Márkusz
My builds: thread/1600072
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
"
IceDeal wrote:
Simple start fixes :

- 100% less damages to all secondary damages skills and effect
(if it can't be fixed, nuke them out of pvp. We have plenty of skills to play around, secondary damages are an old design not used in new skills since at least 2 years).

- 100% less damages to all skills supported by a defensive trigger support
(you can still use them as defensive option)

- Make every spell supported by trap and mines behave like BF (no auto target) and increase the T value to compensate for the shotgun effect.

- Bring back 1vs1 arena layout rotation and include the 3vs3 layouts.

- Bring back old sarn arena minimap partial vision to nerf offscreening.

Bim, pvp is now 6% more fun (this is a buff).

I'd also say to reduce the range at which spells target you with CWDT, they increased it recently and now lazy builds are that much more lazy!

I'm also infuriated by CWDT flame dash, but what can you do?
Lavender or Leave.
PvPresident, 2016
//
You'd better run.
“EA is fine” -relith

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info