[2.5/2.6] Beginner's Elementalist Dual Flameblast Totems

"
Finally a build for players like me. I seldom buy gear (once or twice in 4 years), so I use what drops and most of the builds require this or that times 3 or more. Love that you showed alternate items, but focused on the stuff anyone can find by playing. Tested it on a character I had at 85 already with a passive reset. Lots of fun and does pretty nicely. Did merc lab with only a few leveled gems and it was fairly easy. I was lucky and had a 5 link Carcass Jack, so I will see what happens in the new league. The build also leaves room to add another skill set or so, cool. I am running 2 CWDTs. One low level with a summons skeleton and Arctic Breath for distractions and a high level with Immortal Call. Plus I added a Vaal Haste and Summon Skeletons for bosses and tough monsters. Also, I put in the Conc Effect gem and really didn't see that much drop in clear speed with trash mobs, so I leave it there. It helps me not forgetting to swap on bosses. This will be one of the builds I will use in the SSF league coming up. Good job and thanks.

Surprisingly this guide took me far longer to make than I initially thought, but reading that it was useful to people makes every minute worth it. It really does. So, thank you for the very kind words and also very nice experimenting! I don't see that too much these days, it's mostly people just following a build from a top streamer or something with a catchy title with often misleading damage numbers. If that is how you enjoy the game then by all means! My whole thing is just have fun! And a build isn't particularly fun or even accessible to most players if it's locked behind needing some rare or expensive unique (Hell, I've been playing since open beta and I still have never found or had a Shavs!) or several as you correctly point out, so I also wanted it to be something literally anyone could make with very little investment, if any, while not losing too much on the effectiveness.

The motivation behind making this guide was that I know of too many people that are just far too intimidated by the game itself to even try because it is so overwhelming, and there is so much to learn, and the game does a terrible job of helping, so I wanted to do something to ameliorate that ridiculous learning curve while at the same time giving a build that would let even beginners experience the majority of the game's fantastic content, because GGG really did make one hell of a game!
I hope you will update this guide for 2.6 :)
Thank you for the guide! A nice reference for anyone who would like to try the build.

I've played a few Hierophant Flameblast Totems last HC league, but always ended up hitting a damage wall near end game (and dying to Uber lab trials..).

Made a new character in BSC and mimicked SSF to test viability for next league, and was surprised by just how much more damage the Elementalist ascendancy had. Also dem double dipping deeps, I would like to invest in a build before the 3.0 nerf.

Definitely plan on starting with this build SSF next HC league. No hard gear requirements (4L will get you to maps) and totems in general are one of the safest builds for HC.
Last edited by Expire on Feb 24, 2017, 9:51:33 PM
Thanks very much for this build! i was looking for something like this as my legacy league starter. Just 1 thing I was wondering about: elemental equilibrium. Do you think there's enough leftover links to make a setup for it and if so, how would you change the passive tree?

Speaking as an experienced PoE player, this guide is excellent. I think the new player focus is great, and even as someone who has played since 1.1 I got alot out of your guide. I plan on using this build as my Legacy starter for SSF and having done plenty of totem builds but never Pizza Sticks, this one has me excited. Thanks for the effort you've put into this, I'm sure it has made quite a few new player experiences positive ones.
"Accountability is the perfect counter-weight to ambition." -Dominus, High Templar
Thanks, nice guide, i will try it with the new league and SSF.
I have 2 questions though, as i have never really played any totem builds:
With Ancestral Bond, can i still run Curse on Hit instead of Blasphemy? With this kind of build id prefere using that method of cursing instead blasphemy.
Second question: if i use a lightning skill to deliver my curses, can i run EE (Elemental Equilibrium) to debuff fire resist of enemys?
"
Mathorg wrote:
Thanks, nice guide, i will try it with the new league and SSF.
I have 2 questions though, as i have never really played any totem builds:
With Ancestral Bond, can i still run Curse on Hit instead of Blasphemy? With this kind of build id prefere using that method of cursing instead blasphemy.
Second question: if i use a lightning skill to deliver my curses, can i run EE (Elemental Equilibrium) to debuff fire resist of enemys?

I am curious about this aswell , as with the new AoE changes I assume getting all the AOE nodes are not worth it as much anymore.

Have you (Original thread poster) thought about changes to the tree since we wont be picking up everything with the diminishing returns? Of course since we dont know exact diminishing returns its hard to say. But had any Ideas ?
The last league play Inquisitor to boot .. clear speed was bad, so now I am thinking of playing this guide.

Some questions that I have in my head.

Elementalist is good to start the league?

I want to know if the Beacon of Ruins radio was nerfed?

Does the skill tree remain the same or do you plan to make any changes?

I transitioned to this build and it is very powerful, however, it is likely a learn to pay problem, but I find myself getting easily killed by random damage spikes in Tier 9-10 maps. Seems like this build should definitely be able to handle much higher than this.

That being said, not 100 percent sure what is killing me. I know my flasks need fixing and I am still running a good bit of gear optimized for Firestorm versus Flameblast. I am considering running this as a SSF character in the next league, but would like to know how high you all are pushing in maps with this build as I want to run something that can do T13 maps at the very leat, and comfortably, without dying all the time.
Enjoyed this in the final days of Breach. Going to be my Legacy starter, thanks and good fun.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info