[2.5] [HC] Triple Trypanon Warchiefs

Introduction
Spoiler
Hello. My name is DB42 but most people call me DB or Deebs. I've been playing PoE since around the time when Piety was the final boss. I play mainly hardcore and I play to make new builds and see how far I can take them. I recently came up with the idea to exploit the Scion's seemingly useless ascendancy subclass "Hierophant" by using Bringer of Rain.

I wasn't the first one to think of this however, so here is a thread by Evil_Trapper. Here I was thinking three totems was a big deal when this guy has FOUR of them! That's where the similarities between our builds end and similarities with yet another build begins. This is an elemental Trypanon Warchief build by machine5 and it looks very strong. Like me, perhaps this gentleman has a slight obsession with the Trypanon unique.

My build is a triple Warchief Totem build using the uniques Bringer of Rain (for what is effectively 7-link totems!) and Trypanon + Marylene's Fallacy. While I was playing it all I could think of was how it looked like they were pounding mochi so I took to calling it the Mochi Maker. Most enemies shatter because of Hatred but calling it the Ice Machine didn't seem very cool.

Pros & Cons
Spoiler
Pros:
Mochi.

Cons:
Hard to run during a league because of the scarcity of Trypanons with it being a Perandus league unique. (That means it can only be found/chanced in a Perandus map by using Zana's map device.)

Gear
Spoiler

Really nothing too fancy here, just try to get Max Life and Resists on most of your gear. Flat phys and/or crit multi is VERY nice if you can get it but also very expensive.

Skills & Auras
Spoiler
Bringer of Rain: Ancestral Warchief, Inc. AoE / Conc Effect, Increased Critical Damage, Added Fire Damage. (You use Conc. Effect only for bosses.
4L: CWDT, Inc. Duration, Immortal Call, Molten Shell or Phase Run. (I run all five because I accidentally 5-linked my Trypanon.
Hatred, Herald of Ash, Flame Dash, Faster Casting. (Flame Dash is sadly the only movement skill available to us. Leap Slam is absolutely not an option unless you want to look like you're in a Hollywood movie.)
Enduring Cry anywhere. It gives you a longer duration Immortal Call and makes you feel like you're doing something besides watching your totems turn monster packs into ice cubes.

Jewels (Oh, baby!)
Spoiler
You want THREE mods on your jewels. Max Life and two crit multi mods. There are THREE different crit multi mods that will benefit us:

Two Handed Critical Strike Multiplier
Melee Critical Strike Multiplier
Global Critical Strike Multiplier

Virtually NO ONE uses Two Handed Critical Strike Multiplier which means we get to have it all to ourselves! That makes jewels with that mod quite cheap. In any case, as long as you have two of these three mods you're good to go. Every jewel will give you a whopping +30% critical strike multiplier and at least 5% increased max life!

Passives & Ascendancy
Spoiler
This is our skill tree at level 92.

Los Bandidos:
Oak
Kill
Kill

Leveling
Spoiler
I recommend leveling with a pair of mediocre Facebreakers and a Meginord's. You could also pick up a Skirmish quiver to have an extra totem while leveling if you decide the DPS gain outweighs the defenses of a shield. It's relatively cheap and extremely fast. Skill towards Ancestral Bond ASAP and get your Ancestral Warchief at level 28. At level 40 you can start using Trypanon and Marylene's Fallacy and from thereon it's smooth sailing.

Concerns
Spoiler
We don't get a lot of Dex on the skill tree so you'll probably have to get some Dex on gear or use a Careful Planning jewel. Our accuracy also sucks and is a sizable DPS loss but it's difficult to remedy. We do what we can with accuracy on the tree and an ice golem.

Videos
Spoiler
Trying to kill Xoph at level 83 or something. (Portions of the video are muted and the video itself might be blocked in some countries because other people aren't allowed to listen to you listening to your music. Thanks, copyright!)
Pretty sure this is a level 76 map when I'm 79. That's a big no-no in hardcore but I do what I want because I'm a bad boy, baby.
Atziri video will be available soon unless I die which is pretty likely based on my playstyle.

Last edited by DB42 on Dec 26, 2016, 11:07:48 AM
Last bumped on May 16, 2017, 11:56:11 AM
Maybe I should reserve a post...
i will try play with this build
Interesting... Flat physical damage on gear would be very powerful since it is multiplied by all that crit multi (how much do you have exactly?). I think an with http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Abyssus with its 40-60 flat physical (double that of BoR) and 150-225% crit multi would be a big upgrade , so much so that running Warchief in a 5L chest would be comparable to BoR's 7L.
Last edited by Norky on Dec 24, 2016, 7:09:07 AM
"
Norky wrote:
Interesting... Flat physical damage on gear would be very powerful since it is multiplied by all that crit multi (how much do you have exactly?). I think an with http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Abyssus with its 40-60 flat physical (double that of BoR) and 150-225% crit multi would be a big upgrade , so much so that running Warchief in a 5L chest would be comparable to BoR's 7L.

Yeah, there's a lot of huge upgrades you could do for SC. I'd be too scared to try Abyssus in HC as I'm struggling to reach 6K life. I currently have about 700% multi. With better gear and all my jewels I should reach around 900% multi!
I'm dumb and didn't realise that you are paying in hardcore - that makes Abyssus less of an obvious choice. Do you take many hits when hiding behind totems anyway?

The amount of critical multi you have is comparable to the "more" damage on Facebreakers I.e. I think you'd get as much value from flat physical rolls as an FB build does (unless my understanding of mechanics is wrong....).

I have a Trypanon and other toys on standard league that I might play around with when I get back to my own computer. I'm thinking Abyssus, RRRGBB chest (corrupted to keep it cheap) with a bit of life and Res, Meginord's Girdle, possibly legacy Facebreakers for the 90% multiplier.

Would you mind writing down which ascendancies you took, please? I'm on a mobile device which cannot browse passive trees very well.
Last edited by Norky on Dec 24, 2016, 12:02:42 PM
"
Norky wrote:
I'm dumb and didn't realise that you are paying in hardcore - that makes Abyssus less of an obvious choice. Do you take many hits when hiding behind totems anyway?

The amount of critical multi you have is comparable to the "more" damage on Facebreakers I.e. I think you'd get as much value from flat physical rolls as an FB build does (unless my understanding of mechanics is wrong....).

I have a Trypanon and other toys on standard league that I might play around with when I get back to my own computer. I'm thinking Abyssus, RRRGBB chest (corrupted to keep it cheap) with a bit of life and Res, Meginord's Girdle, possibly legacy Facebreakers for the 90% multiplier.

Would you mind writing down which ascendancies you took, please? I'm on a mobile device which cannot browse passive trees very well.

Hey again! I'm back home now. The skill tree is now in the Passives section. I'm planning on making more changes in the future and expanding the sections.

I have Hierophant and Templar start (saves about 5-7 skill points) and going for Chieftain next for more damage.

Oh, and I completely neglected your other question. Yes, you're pretty safe behind your totems. Anything they don't kill instantly usually freezes, and the blind from BoR is actually a huge boost to your overall damage reduction.
Last edited by DB42 on Dec 25, 2016, 12:39:36 PM
Hi there! Thanks for the awesome guide!
I've been following this guide to build my character. So far i'm level 41 and using Trypanon, Meginord's, Marylene's Fallacy.
The damage is great, thank you.

I have a few questions if I may:

1) I ditched Skirmish for Trypanon, but the build says tripple totem. How do I get the 3rd totem then?
2) I don't see many life regen nodes or life nodes being taken (the usual marauder ones). I'm worried about th end-game life and life regen. Or is it going to be fine?

I'd really appreciate your reply.

Thank you again.
Hi there, was thinking i would try this one when i noticed that you tree is broken, or is that just me ?

ps sorry for bad grammer :)

NEVER MIND, IM AN IDIOT !! :)
Last edited by Rikerdude on Jan 28, 2017, 5:27:26 AM
"
ykb001 wrote:
Hi there! Thanks for the awesome guide!
I've been following this guide to build my character. So far i'm level 41 and using Trypanon, Meginord's, Marylene's Fallacy.
The damage is great, thank you.

I have a few questions if I may:

1) I ditched Skirmish for Trypanon, but the build says tripple totem. How do I get the 3rd totem then?
2) I don't see many life regen nodes or life nodes being taken (the usual marauder ones). I'm worried about th end-game life and life regen. Or is it going to be fine?

I'd really appreciate your reply.

Thank you again.

triple totem = 1 normal +1 hierophant ascendancy + 1 for ancestral bond.

for life you can remove the multiplier and area effect in scion start area and take jewel nodes.
i reach level 88(error kill me) with this build, very safe ,in boss you can use 1 decoy totem if you dont feel safe.

My English get better and better every day. i think =)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info