[2.5] CI Witch Scorching Ray CWC Whispering Ice - Version 2.0 Released - Now with more damage!

Found this awesome build a few days after you made the post for it.
Thanks so much for it and love all the thought that went into it all

currently level 80 and having the most fun since I first started when Poe went public

Current gear

Still can improve my boots and gloves but having so much fun and want to say thanks
"
Saerah wrote:
well i tried minatour just now and got 1 shot few times by the bull, stand no chance at all, but this is my first time attempt guardians though, maybe don't really understand the fights yet :(

alright i have question on black sun crest vs hubric helm, which is better and whats your suggestions on that?

Edit: another question, i have took the celestial judgement, should i go for celestial punishment as well? is it worth to have so much fire penetration?

update on this, i get the kill the bull by doing only face tanking, after swapping into CwdT Immortal call :)

about flask: why do you choose atriz's promise? what do you think about vinktar or taste of hate?
Last edited by Saerah on Dec 18, 2016, 12:33:38 AM
I ended up with some modification that bring my build actually as an hybrid between your build and the tri-curse WI build. I use your basic tree, avoiding the str nodes and avoiding celestial punishment, taking more ES nodes and 3 mana reservation notes. Finally I gave up conflux for getting 25% pen when casting lightning spell.
actually I can switch freely from cwc + scorching Ray to pure WI casting.
My only, big concern about cwc is the slowness to get the icestorm: we have to wait 0.64sec for the first icestorm cast and then 0.34sec each cast.
When farming lower level maps for currency and alts recipe, is nicer to have a faster setup: I remove cwc+scorching Ray and I put spell echo+elemental focus. My tooltip jump of 40% more(but I miss 24% more dog of scorching ray) and my casting speed is 0.38sec.finally I use flask that gives onslaught, lightning golem and vaal haste:these tree things give me 20+18+39=76%casting speed, I go way below 0.30sec per cast and I clear trash mobs and breach in a breeze.
Then for bosses I switch back to cwc setup, and especially for temp chain map mods hexproof (I need to leech mana to sustain icestorm cast).
Other few words :I reached so much +spell damage (with int stuck at 950) that actually I get more damage from +30int then +30spell damage! I definitely have to raise up int in my gear, to reach top notch dps.
Have you considered going low life?
Currently level 85 having a lot of fun, wondering if it would improve output.
Either way, thanks for the great build! :)
Last edited by CursedReality on Dec 18, 2016, 4:44:55 AM
Started it yesterday, fell in love with it right away. Thanks a lot for crafting and writing this build in a textook style.
**UPDATE**
Did theory a little bit prettier.
Updated my stats at level 90.
I know I have a lot of questions yet to answer, but I am very short on time currently :)
Last edited by Mathoddie on Dec 18, 2016, 10:16:21 AM
"
Mathoddie wrote:
**UPDATE**
Did theory a little bit prettier.
Updated my stats at level 90.
I know I have a lot of questions yet to answer, but I am very short on time currently :)

Let me answer my own question, maybe some others, and give you a little better write down now that I've played around with it long enough to write something proper.

I'm more of a lurker, I saw this build when you posted it, I have always loved whispering ice, tried many variations from traps to self cast, but all of them had the same issue: they were slow map clearers. Great boss damage, no real surviveability issues, but slow clear speed.

So when I saw your build, I had to try it out. My character before that on league, was actually almost the same idea, chieftain, perma righteous fire, scorching ray+cwc+firestorm, and I really liked it - so I knew I would love your build as well.

Fast forward to today, got to 91 with your build, and more importantly - I only die from my own stupidity, or my lack of SSD. It just is that crazy on the leech that as long as you keep attacking stuff, it is almost impossible to die.

Now the interesting stuff...
I sold all the good gear on my other char to fund some silly stuff for this one just to try stuff out, so here goes.

VS

Not counting the enchant, that is amazing - Black Sun Crest is definitely BiS - but ONLY if you have all your other slots fixed with proper int rolls. But it is also overkill, and we can only do one fancy thing with the +1 gem without changing the build (lvl 3 enlighten+lvl 3 empower+discipline) - all other gems don't get anything useful at level 21.

I noticed that dps is a non issue (partially because of a change, more on that later) - and that the ES difference is quite a bit - I lost around 90 int swapping back to the ES helmet, but I also went up to 11k ES which puts me in range to survive the harder content oneshots (shaper smash) - and gives me a little more freedom with resists on other gear.

----

Enchants/Gear:

I've tried to drop warlords mark, grab ele weakness/enfeeble (didnt have a good lvl temp chains to try) - drop the gemlevels on cwdt/ic to 1/1 and roll with that because I enchanted .6% leech on boots. It is definitely viable, but I did have to drop the 2nd quicksilver and run a basalt permanently. If you are looking for more dps and got the enchant, feel free to give it a try, it is quite the dps boost. I preferred double quicksilvers, so I swapped it back in, however, after seeing the dps difference...... I bring you to:

INT vs actual dps improvements:

Now here is where the big differences are that you can make. Your tree is pretty solid, there is very little you can swap around that would be actually better. I had to pick up a 30 dex node but apart from that we're very similar. However I did not go as crazy on the INT stacking as you did on the gear.

This + adding elemental weakness to the mix skyrocketed my dps. And when I say skyrocketed, I mean, if you think this build was crazy before, you haven't seen anything yet ;)

I got lucky and bought the best int +1 curse for a half decent price, but shopping around, there are a few others that you can pick up for the same price as an astramentis, and there is NO WAY that astramentis beats adding elemental weakness when it comes to raw dps. (I did try astramentis, as well as a good 97 int rare with es)

The only "downside" is that you will need to 5 link your chest to add the extra curse, or 6 link if you want to also run ice nova on top of ball lightning.

I just temporary removed my ice nova and can add it back if I ever manage to 6 link my chest.

---

Lowlife setup:
Did some testing and maths, this build has the same problem as every build that uses shavs+2 hander: you will lack enough ES for the truly hard content in this game - and the dps difference does nothing when you will get oneshot by hard bosses.

However, you can make it work:
Pickup melding nodes, use an energy from within below, pickup the scion wheel to savant (as in, earlier then we'd take them now), possibly a 2nd EfW if needed - you will not have as much of a ES difference.

Pros:
- extra auras+30% more damage, duh :)

Cons:
- no int on shavs.
- lose out on at least 1 jewel and 4 nodes, minimum.
- cannot use black sun crest (no way to roll without an ES headpiece, simple)

I don't think it is worth it, but feel free to give it a try yourself and see what you come up with :)

Enough rambling, I hope I answered some questions I saw other people ask in this thread, let the OP enjoy his holidays, and Mathoddie, interested in what you think about the curse setup. Enjoy your holidays everyone!

my
Last edited by falagar112 on Dec 18, 2016, 1:43:26 PM
Hi OP, very fun build and some of the most fun I've had in the game in a while.

What's your (and everyone else's) thoughts on including an Emberwake for stacking ignites with Icestorm. I know that its a very big decrease on the damage done by Scorching Ray but I'm wondering if its worth it.
This is the build i've been looking for, its amazing, great fun.
Just into cruel, the norm Malachai kill was the fastest i've ever done with just WI>CWC>Scorch.

Showed it to a friend and now we are both playing it :)

Tyvm.
Mark_GGG 2012
If you put on your full plate mail, and I throw hundreds of toothpicks at you, you'll basically not feel it.

If someone catapults a whole tree at you, don't expect the Armour to prevent as much of the damage.
Thank you OP and others who replied to this thread. I am doing very well in my first WI character.I have a few questions regarding the build that is not discussed on the first page.

1. If I want to remove my concern on Stun. Can I use heart of oak cluster + essence of scorn crafted glove + Leo crafted helmet to achieve stun immune? Is this a better option than travelling to US?

2. Do you we rely on flasks when things can freeze us?

3. I obtained two Elreon jews (a ring and a 70 int amulet) to make mana cost to 0, is this sufficient reason to drop my WM curse and replace it by Temp Chain?

4. How do we deal with no leech map?

Thanks.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info