Esh's Visage and Blood magic

So Esh's Visage says that Chaos Damage does not bypass energy shield while not on low life "or" low mana
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Esh%27s_Visage

That means either ONE of those have to apply, low mana or low life.

Running Blood Magic, makes your mana 0/0 (logic says 0/0 means you are on full mana), so with Esh's Visage equipped Chaos damage should not bypass energy shield.

Yet it's clear chaos damage still applies on Life instead of ES.

Is that the way it's supposed to work ? If yes, is the item info a typo mistake ?

You have 2 negatives and a hypothetical terms in one sentance, multiplying negatives gives positives, you guys are programmers,

"Or" / "And" are different terms

Please explain someone :)

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by dimosthenis91 on Dec 6, 2016, 8:25:53 PM
Last bumped on Jan 24, 2017, 9:44:44 PM
"
dimosthenis91 wrote:
(logic says 0/0 means you are on full mana)
0/0 is not full mana. It is also not low mana. It's simply not having mana in the first place.

"
dimosthenis91 wrote:
so with Esh's Visage equipped Chaos damage should not bypass energy shield.
Not necessarily. Taking Blood Magic means you aren't on Low Mana. It does not mean you aren't on Low Life.

If you are on Low Life, but not on Low Mana, then the statement "You are on Low Life or Low Mana" is true. Esh's Visage explicitly only applies while you are not on Low Life or Low Mana - i.e. when that statement is false.

"
dimosthenis91 wrote:
"Or" / "And" are different terms
Yes. "or" is the correct term here. A bonus that's active "while not on Low Life and Low Mana" would be active as long as you were not on Low Life and Low Mana simultaneously, because only then is the statement "You are on Low Life and Low Mana" true, thus turning off the bonus.

To put it another way, since you seem fond of logic you may have heard of De Morgan's Laws, which state that logically, the negation of "X and Y" is equivalent to "not X or not Y". This "while not on Low Life or Low Mana" is logically equivalent to "while not on Low Life and not on Low Mana".
"
So Esh's Visage says that Chaos Damage does not bypass energy shield while not on low life "or" low mana
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Esh%27s_Visage

You can't positively be negative. Therefore a condition must be true if no other condition can be true as well. "Are you 7 years old? Yes?? Oh, then you are 5 foot 3 inches tall." Non sequitor. Therefore the modifier should be "X occurs, but only occurs when you have neither Y true or Z true".

Or, if that's too complex "As long as both Y and Z are true, X occurs/is in effect," ofc that might itself be unweildy as it might require saying some weird game condition heretofore un-used.

Your use of a conditional that cannot be satisfied is a logic bomb, however.
Last edited by Orca_Orcinus on Dec 6, 2016, 11:46:00 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
If you are on Low Life, but not on Low Mana, then the statement "You are on Low Life or Low Mana" is true. Esh's Visage explicitly only applies while you are not on Low Life or Low Mana - i.e. when that statement is false.

I try with BM + Discipline (85% life reserved) and no mana reservation, but chaos damage can pass the energy shield.
For example, i tested with the Act 2 Vaal Temple mounters and passed the energy shield equally.
Last edited by Moskito47 on Dec 7, 2016, 2:51:39 PM
"
Moskito47 wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

I try with BM + Discipline (85% life reserved) and no mana reservation, but chaos damage can pass the energy shield.
For example, i tested with the Act 2 Vaal Temple mounters and passed the energy shield equally.
You just said you have 85% of your life reserved. That means you are on Low Life.
Since you are on Low Life, you are on Low Life or Low Mana.
Esh's Visage explicitly says it will apply while you are not on Low Life or Low Mana.
This is correct behaviour.
As far as I can tell, it sounds as if, while wearing Esh's Visage, if you are NEITHER on LL or LM, then Chaos doesn't bypass. If you are on LM, it does. If you are LL, it does. You must be neither on LL or LM for Esh's Visage to be of use.

But that's just an outside perspective.

- Sheepster
Thank you all for the replies, appreciated.
just digged this post while looking for low life stuff
i think making it this way (or sth like this) would be better
"
Chaos Damage does not bypass Energy Shield when you are neither on Low Life nor on Low Mana

1) not low life ✓
2) not low mana ✓

with the original wording
"
Chaos Damage does not bypass Energy Shield while not on Low Life or Low Mana

the mechanic is in this way : while not on [Low Life or Low Mana]
yet some might interpret in this way : while [not on Low Life] or [(not on) Low Mana]
It is a language problem and not a problem of logic. In math you can use brakets to resolve ambiguities. This brakets are lost during the translation process from math to english.
"
Chaos Damage does not bypass Energy Shield (a) while not on Low Life (b) or Low Mana (c)
will translate to
"
not b or c => a
with intention
"
(not (b or c)) => a

IMHO this property of Esh's Visage is not very useful with blood magic or blood magic support gem.

Follow up question: What happens if I am low on mana while wearing Esh's Visage and Shavronne's Wrappings.
Last edited by knivil on Jan 5, 2017, 12:36:57 PM
"
knivil wrote:
Follow up question: What happens if I am low on mana while wearing Esh's Visage and Shavronne's Wrappings.

Esh's Visage

If (onLowLife == false) && (onLowMana == false) {
chaosDamageNotBypassEnergyShield = true
}
else {
do nothing
}

Shavronne's Wrappings

If (true) {
chaosDamageNotBypassEnergyShield = true
}

Esh's Visage grants you a bonus when the condition is met, and does not grant you a bonus when the condition is not met. It doesn't preclude your character getting bonuses from other sources.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Last edited by Sarno on Jan 5, 2017, 1:15:52 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info