Suggestion: Skill supports

When I started this game, I loved the fact that you could change how skills work with support skills. Lately however, there seems to be a lack of new supports in favor of more skills. Here are my suggestions for some new supports:

Projectiles:
Spiral - projectiles now spiral outwards from the position they originated.

Orbit - projectiles now orbit your character for X seconds.

Sidewinder - Projectiles now follow an S shaped trajectory. x% increased projectile speed (to maintain quality of life)

Area:
Tunnel vision: skills have 50% Less horizontal area, and 50% More vertical area (so you get longer narrower AoEs)

Ripple: Supported skills repeat 2 times. 20% Less attack and cast speed. The first ripple has 30% less AoE and does 30% More damage. The second ripple is standard size / damage. The third ripple has 30% More area and 30% Less damage.

Melee:
Leap: Jump to target area before performing supported skill. 30% less damage.

Reverberation: If the supported skill stuns the target, it does a further hit of 40-60% of the initial damage after 0.5 seconds.

Duration:
Contaminate: curses and damage over time effects jump to a nearby enemy when the original target is slain. (they only jump to one enemy. They don't proliferate to all enemies around them)

Attack:
Gush: When enemies are knocked back by supported skills, bleed effects on the current monster are removed, dealing all their remaining damage instantly.

Weapon Elemental Penetration: Penetrate all resistances by 13-32%. Attacks only.

Fire:
Consuming fire: Ignited enemies have a chance to panic, attacking nearby friendly monsters instead.

Additional:
Rework increased burning damage. 40-59% increased burning just isn't interesting. Give it an effect similar to the one on the goddess scorned. Ignite enemies burn x% faster.

IGN: Starlight_Seraphim
Last edited by Starlight85 on Nov 28, 2016, 10:26:08 AM
Last bumped on Nov 29, 2016, 3:05:33 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Great support suggestions.

My only reservation is that most of the top ones which are great are benefitting things that are already OP and need nerfing

Quite a few of them (the aoe repeat) is numerically OP but anyway
Last edited by ihasmario on Nov 28, 2016, 4:56:30 AM
"
ihasmario wrote:
Great support suggestions.

My only reservation is that most of the top ones which are great are benefitting things that are already OP and need nerfing

Quite a few of them (the aoe repeat) is numerically OP but anyway

Yeah, the numbers can obviously be tweaked. It was more the effect idea I was trying to convey.

I agree projectiles are in a very strong place right now. Using these would take up a support gem slot, but perhaps they would need a damage penalty similar to LMP/GMP too.

Thanks for the feedback :)
Singularity - spell linked with this gem is placed stationary like a totem, casting the spell for a short duration on the same location (Good for Boss Fights).

Nature's Gift - Element of Attack / Spell changes with every cast/attack. +30% Mana Cost +10% Elemental Damage

Marksman's Eye - Projectile Support. Projectile attack needs to be charged (like Firestorm), granting increased Damage with each Stage.

Blessing of the Sun JEWEL - Life Generation is doubled. Mana Regeneration is disabled
Gush is pretty interesting to buff bleed a bit, I mean the only support we have (blood lust) is only usable with a 2nd skill.

Leap as a leap slam or shield charge mechanic was one idea I've had for buffing single target skills, it should be an auto-target function just like arc.

Some skills supports I would like to see would be:

Projectile based:

Ballistics - Instead of shooting in a straight line, projectiles will launch in an arc and deal AoE damage to target location (just like Blast Rain)

Fading projectiles - Projectiles dealing x-y flat damage (damage is based on phys and/or elemental keywords of the skill) at the start, dealing less the further they travel. Projectiles also vanishes after a short amount of time. (Imaginable like Freezing Pulse)

Melee based:

Shadow strike - Every x-th melee attack add an additional attack at the same time, dealing y-z% less damage.

Channeling based:

Patient destruction - Channeling skills deal x% less damage at the beginning, gaining y% more damage for each z-seconds up to a cap. (Basically a Void Battery for channeling)
"
Shinwa wrote:
Singularity - spell linked with this gem is placed stationary like a totem, casting the spell for a short duration on the same location (Good for Boss Fights).

Nature's Gift - Element of Attack / Spell changes with every cast/attack. +30% Mana Cost +10% Elemental Damage

Marksman's Eye - Projectile Support. Projectile attack needs to be charged (like Firestorm), granting increased Damage with each Stage.

Blessing of the Sun JEWEL - Life Generation is doubled. Mana Regeneration is disabled

I'm not sure how singularity is different to just having a totem. Casting a spell that repeats in a location without a draw back like less damage might be a bit powerful. especially as totems can be destroyed too. Perhaps change it to a delay? Supported skill is cast from target location after x seconds.

Nature's gift is a great idea. It would be very powerful with elemental equilibrium. I'm not sure if the mechanics of the game could cope with it right now. Imagine fireball + natures gift. You couldn't convert fire to lightning or cold because of the conversion system (Physical > lightning > cold > Fire > Chaos). You'd have to create a version of each elemental spell for each element. Would be great if it were possible though.

Marksman's eye. I think you meant flameblast. A charge up draw would be fun. It could possibly give more AoE too. Sadly I think it would probably be overpowered given how powerful projectiles are already, but it sounds great thematically.

Blessing of the sun is crazy broken on blood magic builds sadly. Doubling your life regen from something like 15% to 30% makes you practically immune to everything but one shots. Converting mana regeneration to life regeneration could be fun though! something like 40% mana regen = 0.4% life regen
Great ideas, I would love to see any new support gems introduced to the game which changes the way how a skill behaves.

All the "x% more y damage" support gems are so boring. and every time ggg makes some new cool skill mechanic its almost always a new active gem rather than a support gem, there are so many active gems that could have been an support gem instead.
I would also love to see something to encourage players to use multiple damage skills, rather than spamming just one.

Added Spell Cooldown Support:
Adds +4 base second cooldown to supported non-reservation non-channeling spells
Supported Vaal Spells have 100% increased soul requirement.
x% more effectiveness of supported spell (Damage, Area of Effect, Duration)

Added Attack Cooldown Support:
Adds +4 base second cooldown to supported non-channeling attacks
Supported Vaal Attacks have 100% increased soul requirement.
x% more effectiveness of supported Attacks (Damage, Area of Effect, Duration)

Additional Cooldown Uses Support:
Supported Skills can store up to x additional uses
x% increased Cooldown

Edit: I think its important that the added cooldown support has diffrent versions for attacks and spells, in case for example you would want to use something like "Active Attack Gem" + Cast on Crit + "Active Spell Gem" + Added Spell Cooldown Support to have cooldown on the spell but not on the attack.
Last edited by Mizzajl on Nov 28, 2016, 8:47:26 AM
"
Mizzajl wrote:
I would also love to see something to encourage players to use multiple damage skills, rather than spamming just one.

Added Spell Cooldown Support:
Adds +4 base second cooldown to supported non-reservation non-channeling spells
Supported Vaal Spells have 100% increased soul requirement.
x% more effectiveness of supported spell (Damage, Area of Effect, Duration)

Added Attack Cooldown Support:
Adds +4 base second cooldown to supported non-channeling attacks
Supported Vaal Attacks have 100% increased soul requirement.
x% more effectiveness of supported Attacks (Damage, Area of Effect, Duration)

Additional Cooldown Uses Support:
Supported Skills can store up to x additional uses
x% increased Cooldown

Edit: I think its important that the added cooldown support has diffrent versions for attacks and spells, in case for example you would want to use something like "Active Attack Gem" + Cast on Crit + "Active Spell Gem" + Added Spell Cooldown Support to have cooldown on the spell but not on the attack.

Definitely a cool idea! Doing a trap rotation build was always fun. A spell or attack rotation build where there was a reason to rotate would be great too!
Reduced Cooldown Support

Supported skills have x% reduced Cooldown. Supported skills have 30% less attack and cast speed. Supported skills deal 30% less damage.

Knockback Support

Supported skills have a 50% chance to knock back enemies. x% increased damage.

Beam Support

Supported area skills are fired as a beam in front of the user. 100% more area of effect. x% less damage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info