2.5 CI Scorching Ray Occultist Tri-curse

INTRODUCTION

Hello folks, my name is Gnom123 and I'll introduce you to my build guide about recently released "Scorching Ray".

MINIMUM ITEM REQUIREMENTS
You will need two uniques to get this build going:

VIDEOS

Spoiler
Videos will be placed here

OVERVIEW

You might be wondering, why is he using a bow, and not a Searing Touch? With the essences we are able to craft some pretty dope bows for spellcasters. The Shrieking Essence of Rage will add a +2 level to socketed fire gems. The big deal will be to get a +2 +1 leading to a +3 bow which i think will overrule the searing touch. Another big deal using a bow over a stave is that we can use a quiver, here we will be using the Soul Strike bow for the +100 energy shield and faster recharge rate.
I will be using this bow:

On bows you can also master-craft increased damage over time, and since Scorching ray only deals damage over time it scales very good.

SKILL TREE
http://poeurl.com/T20

SKILL TREE EXPLANATION

Since its neither an AoE skill or a projectile the only thing we need on tree is Energy shield, cast speed, fire/burning damage and jewels.

ASCENDANCY

Occulist
I recommend taking occulist ascendancy because the synergy between Soul Strike and Wicked ward is so good, and being a witch gives a very good start on the skill tree giving a lot of defences and damage increases. You will also be granted +100 flat energy shield and an additional curse.

OTHER ASCENDANCIES

I got a few recommendations on which Ascendancy classes that i think would work for this build:

Berserker
If you really just dont want to go Energy shield/CI Berserker would be a viable option, because it gives good damage, and also a lot of defensives. If you are going Berserker consider using a Searing Touch.

HIEROPHANT
If you want to go totems Hierophant is the way to go, not much to say.

CHIEFTAIN
Chieftain would be another solid ascendancy for Scorching Ray totems, but since it is a Marauder you will have to be life based.

JEWELS
On jewels you want to focus on Energy shield and cast speed.

Some useful mods you can get on jewels:
% to all Elemental Resistances
% faster start of Energy Shield Recharge
% increased Fire Damage
% increased Cast Speed with Fire Skills
% increased maximum Energy Shield
% increased Cast Speed
% increased Damage over Time
% increased Spell Damage
% increased Damage
% increased Attack and Cast Speed

SCREENSHOTS

Offense
w/o flasks and EO

With flasks and EO

Note: Curses and EE don't affect the tooltip damage

Defense

GEAR
My gear

Gear to look for
Helmet:
On the helmet you want to get as much Energy shield and resistances you can get, also try to get intelligence on it. If you can try to get one of the new enchants!

Body armour:
On your body armour it is the excact same thing as on the helmet: Energy shield, resistances and intelligence. Links doesn't really matter on your body armour, since your main skill will be in the bow.

Gloves:
Guess what? On the gloves you also just need Energy shield and resists.

Boots:
It's a bit harder when it comes to boots, actually not really all you need is high energy shield, and movement speed. Resists can be added but it will make them cost a lot more, and when we are using as many rares as we are, it should be very easy to cap resist on other pieces.

Rings
Here you have the option to get a Valyrium or a rare ring with: Energy shield, resists, intelligence and of course an increased maximum energy shield master mod would be very good. It can also be useful to get strength and dexterity on rings since the support gems will acquire a bit to be worn.

Amulet
If you choose not to use a Valyrium you HAVEto use a Eye of Chayula. Why? Because Scorching Ray being a channeling skill when you get stunned the channels will get disrupted and you will have to start over to decrease their fire resistance.
If you choose to use a Valyrium you will need an amulet with: High increased maximum energy shield(%) flat energy shield, and getting dexterity and strength would be a good idea.

Belt
Finally we're having the belt, the best in slot would be a high energy shield Crystal belt, but a chain belt would work just fine. Besides energy shield focus on getting resists capped, and try to get a good armour roll on it.

Flasks
You will have to use two uniques flasks: The Sorrow of the Divine and Witchfirebrew, besides that you will have to use a Silver flask, Basalt flask and a Quicksilver flask. On the flasks you will have to roll immunity for the following: Bleeding, freeze and burn

BANDITS
Normal: Kill all
Cruel: Help Alira
Merciless: Kill all

In normal you can't use anything, you can choose to help Kraytin for 10% elemental resistances, but since we only uses two uniques it won't be hard to cap resists.

In cruel you can either choose to kill all or help Alira, but since Scorching Rays turn speed and damage increases by cast speed its very important to get.

In Merciless you can choose to help Oak, but i suggest killing all because you won't be able to generate charges(you can use enduring cry/warlords mark if you want)

LINKS AND GEMS

Colouring the bow can be a bit painful since it is a spell.

Scorching Ray:
4L: Scorching Ray - Faster casting - Controlled destruction - Elemental focus
5L: Scorching Ray - Faster casting - Controlled destruction - Elemental focus - Rapid Decay
6L: Scorching Ray - Faster casting - Controlled destruction - Elemental focus - Rapid Decay - Empower

Utility:
For movement you will be using blink arrow and Flame dash:
Blink arrow - faster attacks - Flame dash - Faster casting

Auras/curses:
Discipline (put this whereever there is space)
Blasphemy - Flammability - Temporal chains - Enlighten(you will get the 3rd curse using your flask)
https://poe.mikelat.com/#V4BAIq/BWlVb./xB3l.e

CWDT:
CWDT - Immortal call - Increased duration - Lightning golem

LEVELING
Leveling section will be added later

FAQ
Who do you only use 2 blasphemies, when you can use 3 curses?
That's correct we allocated 3 curses, 1 base + 1 on tree and 1 from ascendancy.
We're only using 2 on blasphemy, and the last one are we using with the witchfire brew:

Why are you using a bow with a spell?
By using a bow we can equip a quiver, which is the Soul Strike which gives us energy shield and faster recharge rate.
But we can't get spell damage on bows? Nope that's right, but by using the shrieking essence of rage we are able to get a +3 to fire skills bow, and thereafter we can mastermod damage over time on it, which will be a lot better than searing touch/doryani's catalyst.
Ign = GnomingGnom
Last edited by Gnom123 on Dec 7, 2016, 11:40:14 AM
Last bumped on Apr 15, 2017, 5:16:36 AM
Reserved.
Ign = GnomingGnom
looking forward to videos. I have also wanted to try ray occultist in new league but not sure how good will be the damage without LL or RF in endgame. And cant test it myself due to bugged 2.4.2 version :-(
"
Taudlitz wrote:
looking forward to videos. I have also wanted to try ray occultist in new league but not sure how good will be the damage without LL or RF in endgame. And cant test it myself due to bugged 2.4.2 version :-(

I'll try to add the videos tomorrow
Ign = GnomingGnom
LL?
"
Fresh_fruits wrote:
LL?

No this is not low life, just CI
Ign = GnomingGnom
Sooo, Scorching Ray buffed slightly and this wonderful thing coming:

Cast while Channelling: While casting supported channelling skills, trigger another linked spell at regular intervals, with a small damage penalty.

Can this be put to any good use?
Last edited by Helbelinc1 on Nov 30, 2016, 3:40:26 PM
"
Helbelinc1 wrote:
Sooo, Scorching Ray buffed slightly and this wonderful thing coming:

Cast while Channelling: While casting supported channelling skills, trigger another linked spell at regular intervals, with a small damage penalty.

Can this be put to any good use?

I think it would be pretty good, you'll need another tree though. One of the downsides by linking it with scorching ray is the short period from pressing the key until something happens.
Ign = GnomingGnom
no elemental equilibrium?
you serious?
regarding item trades: i don't check the forum often so don't send me PMs about the items i have for sale, just add me ingame and contact me when i'm online.

i'm usually online for a few hours after 20.00 UTC and a lot more during weekends.
If you're not generating charges, why do you have Immortal Call linked to CWDT? Also I'm curious, how does this build handle later bosses and mapping? Since you basically have to stand still for quite a bit, it seems you're much more vulnerable to one shots, with no way to handle them. Is the best strategy to get as many stacks as you can on the boss then avoid getting hit and let the burning keep going until you can move to a new spot and do it again? I really want to bring this build as far into end game as I can, but that's my biggest concern so far. I just got to Cruel without much difficulty and I love it so far!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info