Scorching Ray Skill Gem Mechanics

Lets talk about Scorching Ray Skill Gem Mechanics
latest info: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1762565

what we know:
The burning damage on enemies grows while they're in the beam. The cast speed of the beam affects how frequently this damage builds up.
Modifiers to spell damage also apply to Scorching Ray's damage. The skill can be supported by effects that modify damage over time, elemental damage, burning damage, duration, and cast speed. It can be used with Spell Totem, but not the Trap or Mine supports. It doesn't count as a projectile or an area effect skill.

spell echo will not work
you cannot leech with damage over time
Taming and Emberwake ring will not work since its not ignite
fire penetration gem dont work since it doesnt hit
SR does burning (fire over time) damage, it doesn't ignite, and couldn't since it doesn't hit. Also, Chieftains get endurance charges for killing burning enemies, also which doesn't require an ignite.

someone asked if increased burning will work as "more" modifier, answer is no

Inc Burning is still an increased modifier, nothing has changed just because SR is burning damage, except for SR nothing can double dip (no initial hit that scales the burn), so IB has less competition than for ignite builds. I'd still go both CD and EF over IB any day if I had to choose.

Lastly, modifiers to duration will change how long an enemy burn after the beam has stopped covering him, according to the actual GGG post.

decoy totem with marauder sounds as a good idea since we dont want to lose damage with spell totem

there are already some theoretical build links in that thread:

poeurl.com/PEZ
poeurl.com/PEX

with 9 jewel sockets, with a bit changes could do around 11 jewel slots and could use

9 is 405% elemental damage and 11 is 605%

Possible gem links:
according to (damage over time, elemental damage, burning damage, duration, and cast speed)

Best combination would be Scorching Ray + Elemental Focus + Faster Casting + Controled Destruction + Rapid Decay + Empower lvl 4

Last edited by Tomikxx on Nov 4, 2016, 5:21:28 AM
Last bumped on Nov 9, 2017, 7:46:05 AM
You probably want less duration not increased, to ramp up burn efficiency
Ign: LavaMosse
TimeZone: GMT+2
Scorching Ray likely won't have the 'Duration' tag, and if it does it would probably only be for its fire resistance debuff. Inc. Duration won't scale the damage directly as it doesn't increase ramp-up speed. The best you can hope is that it would increase the burning duration left on foes not directly in the beam and/or the fire pen effect.

No hits means no leech, true, but it also means complete immunity to reflect, so you've got that going for you. Whole extra pool of maps you can do, and also able to laugh at reflect rares without Vaal Pact.

As for SR Totems...the benefits of being able to move and dodge whilst Scorching might well outweight the drawbacks of less damage, the way they do for other spells. Furthermore, SR spell totem is Wither for fire skills, given Scorching Ray's fire resistance debuff. It'll be useful for that alone, even if its damage ends up being bad.

If its damage is worthwhile, then the best way to scale Scorching Ray's damage is probably going to be Decoy Totem. You need to stand still and focus a slow-moving beam on a target, and every time you abort and dodge for your life, you lose your built-up damage scaling and probably your fire pen stacks, too. Chieftain with totem durability nodes and the fire spell buffery might be the way to go. Either that or park your Scorching Raygun behind a friendly Taunt-y Earthquaker or similar, since you'll do Big Damage so long as nobody outmaneuvers your Sentry mode you don't end up the focus of stuff you can't just flask through.
Last edited by 1453R on Nov 3, 2016, 5:58:25 PM
"
1453R wrote:
Scorching Ray likely won't have the 'Duration' tag, and if it does it would probably only be for its fire resistance debuff. Inc. Duration won't scale the damage directly as it doesn't increase ramp-up speed. The best you can hope is that it would increase the burning duration left on foes not directly in the beam and/or the fire pen effect.

its already confirmed by GGG that it will have duration tag, and ofc it will not be for its fire resistance debuff but for duration of how long will enemy burn, so I believe that rapid decay will work as "more" damage
Last edited by Tomikxx on Nov 4, 2016, 4:46:26 AM
Whats about Fire Penetration GEM..

- Resis is endless on an emeny. only + is capped to 75 (normal value)
"
SiegfriedXX wrote:

Doesn't work on Damage over Time, Pen is an on-Hit effect.
"
SiegfriedXX wrote:

- Resis is endless on an emeny. only + is capped to 75 (normal value)

fire penetration gem dont work since it doesnt hit (its damage over time)
And what about Block?

How are these new skills interact with block? is it just checked once? or unblockable?

(PvP) for example...
Don't Touch my Sweep please GGG!
"
Raye wrote:
How blocking while channeling works I don't know though, I've never built a blocking channeler.

If the hit would have been a stun so you get a blocking animation, channeling will interrupt which can be prevented by stun immunity, stun ignore, stun avoidance, or ignore interruption while casting. Before the channeling rework, Incinerate and Flameblast would continue on the stage they were on so it was no biggie, but I haven't tried them since they became channeling spells.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
So if u have 3 scorching ray totems the burn damage will probably not stack but the fire resist debuff will by applied 3 times faster correct?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info