Black screen on log-out/quit

The black screen when quitting PoE happens to me sometimes as well.

It's not a solution, but as a workaround you can just log-out and then ALT+TAB to windows and right-click Path of Exile in the taskbar and choose "close window". When doing this There's never a black screen.
Last edited by karatekameel on Dec 19, 2016, 4:00:44 PM
Same thing is happening to me. Black Screen after i quit the game and nothing works. Only thing to do then is restarting my computer.

Edit: Switched the Dirext x version from 9 to 11 in the options. Now the problem seems to be solved.

"
MrSmithLV wrote:
I searched about the technical forum posts some more. There is at least one alternate thread dedicated to attempting to resolve this issue. It contained one post from a player who stated that setting the graphics option regarding the Direct X version in use from Direct X 9 to Direct X 11 fixed this problem.

I gave it a try and it worked for me also. I can now quit PoE normally and my system will return to the Windows Desktop as expected.

Last edited by dan166 on Dec 23, 2016, 5:51:43 AM
Having the issue was well.

BACKGROUND
Spoiler

DirectX 9xe
2x gtx 980 sli
2 monitors (hdmi and display port connections)

Fixes
Spoiler

Direct X
Spoiler
I changed DirectX to 11 and the issue doesnt seem to be happening anymore

Do not hard reset
Spoiler
Instead of Hard resetting your PC simply unplug the monitor cable for a couple seconds then reseat the connection.

Exiting
Spoiler
I noticed it rarely happened on Direct X 9 when I took the time to
"Exit to character selection"
"Exit to login"
then
"Exit POE"

Hope this ends up helping some one. :)
same issue switching from directx9 to 11 fixed it
Run the game in windowed mode until they fix the issue. That seems to be working for me
Same issue here, though strangely only if I exit before entering the actual game world, ie if I exit at login screen or at character selection.

I'm aware of it now, so I usually make sure I have another program going in background such as a browser, so I can just alt-tab out and close POE from there.
This has been happening for me for many leagues now. My work around is to tab out of game, then right click Path of Exile in taskbar and click exit. Exiting from within game or alt+f4 leaves me with a black screen. However my computer is not frozen, if i mash keys i can sometimes hear things in background like once when i accidently hit some key combination that started windows narrative in the background. Only way to fix if i forget to tab out and shut down using taskbar is to restart my computer using power button on my tower :(.

Have no idea how aggravating it is to have this happen over and over and keep forgetting to tab out to desktop and close game from taskbar, it's such a habit to alt+f4 or exit from within the in-game menu's.

3 leagues now and this still hasn't been fixed, seems like a major bug of inconvenience to just allow it to continue league after league without fixing it!

I'm on windows 10 64 bit, all latest windows updates.

I'm using 980GTX in sli, and 378.66 (been having this issue through many many versions of drivers even after clean installs)

32GB ram.

also i play dozens of other games since this is happening with POE, only POE this occurs.
Last edited by zengrath on Mar 11, 2017, 2:03:03 PM
Just thought I would chime in here.

I started having this issue two patches ago. Tried a lot of little tweaks but nothing worked. Searched the forum then and found no answers. Just kept using the workaround of exiting full screen mode, minimizing and then closing from the task bar. A pain. But at least it worked without my having to reboot my machine every time.

Just popped in and searched the forum today. Found this thread. Tried the switch to Direct X 11 and it works like a charm. I have tested it about five times now. The issue appears to be cleared up. Just thought others would benefit from knowing.

I started having this issue couple of weeks ago too...disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor brings the desktop back.
IVE FOUND THA WAYYYY. Never click exit game just alt tab and close it using te x in the task bar , it's the only way I've found to close the game without having to restart my comp and it works every time . Exit to login screen the alt tab and do the rest 🙂🙂

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info