Power Charge on Crit

Hi guys, I'd like to talk about Power Charge on Crit (POC) gem functionality.

At the moment there's no real priviledge of using POC in main link setup, you can easily make a 2nd gem setup (like in gloves) and thus get power charges. The Gem offers absolutely nothing to put it into main link. I wonder if GGG could improve this a bit.
For example:

"

lvl1: 0.1% Base crit Chance per 3 power charges for linked Attack/Spell gems.
lvl10: 0.1% Base crit Chance for 2 power charges for linked Attack/Spell gems.
lvl20: 0.1% Base crit Chance per power charge for linked Attack/Spell gems.
Thus with 8 power charges it's only 0.8% base crit chance that is not that huge.

The main idea is to encourage folks to use the gem in Main setup.

What do you think guys?

Last bumped on Oct 2, 2016, 1:22:23 AM
Charge generation is easy as hell at the moment.

There were times when it was pretty hard to sustain 8 PC's... Should be a kind of trouble compared to the benefit of 400% incr. crit chance :D
IGN: Surak Methred Wrathclaws Boxender_Gladiator Dunkler_Beschwörer Lady_Discharge
"
keeper190786 wrote:
Charge generation is easy as hell at the moment.

There were times when it was pretty hard to sustain 8 PC's... Should be a kind of trouble compared to the benefit of 400% incr. crit chance :D

Yes that is the OP's point. Why use PCoC in your main setup, since you don't need to?
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Does every gem need to be viable / good in the main link? You would not link blind in your main link either, or curse on hit (unless you are a multi-curser).
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.

It's gonna look neat when I'll 6l eventually and add Inc crit damage.
I like Pcoc, don't judge me ;p
Burn all the orbs!
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
Easiest way to gain power charges now seems to be Orb of Storms + Power Charge on Crit (+ Increased AOE + Increased Critical Strikes for full 4L). That shit caps your charges so fast and you only need to cast it once in a while. Works on bosses too. Ice Spear is complete crap in comparison and that is what casters have mostly been using for years.

The advantage Ice Spear has is that it gains 600% crit chance in its second form, which is invaluable for builds that don't invest into crit chance or want a more guaranteed method to generate charges; Ice Spear has a ton of it, and it basically guarantees it.

Orb of Storms applies hits relatively quickly, so having crit already means you can crit quite often and quite quickly with it.

Personally, I'd go with Blade Vortex (Inc AOE + PCoC + Inc Crit Strikes) because it will hit more than just four targets, a larger area, and can be stacked to grant even more hits, thereby more charges, thereby more utility.
I use a combination of Blade Vortex and Death's Hand. The former for bosses, and the latter for trash clearing because I murder packs too quickly to reliably get my CwDT links to trigger.

Then I use Jaws of Agony with miltitrap and cluster trap in the weapon swap if I need to enter a fight at full charges.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
Easiest way to gain power charges now seems to be Orb of Storms + Power Charge on Crit (+ Increased AOE + Increased Critical Strikes for full 4L). That shit caps your charges so fast and you only need to cast it once in a while. Works on bosses too. Ice Spear is complete crap in comparison and that is what casters have mostly been using for years.

The advantage Ice Spear has is that it gains 600% crit chance in its second form, which is invaluable for builds that don't invest into crit chance or want a more guaranteed method to generate charges; Ice Spear has a ton of it, and it basically guarantees it.

Orb of Storms applies hits relatively quickly, so having crit already means you can crit quite often and quite quickly with it.

Personally, I'd go with Blade Vortex (Inc AOE + PCoC + Inc Crit Strikes) because it will hit more than just four targets, a larger area, and can be stacked to grant even more hits, thereby more charges, thereby more utility.

I tested power charge generation mechanics extensively when I made a totem build a couple weeks ago.

Ice Spear is very clunky as you need to aim with it and cast it several times to cap charges. You only get one power charge max per cast.

Blade Vortex is fine to generate charges if you're melee or also using Blade Vortex as main skill. For everyone else it well not be consistent or worth it.

Orb of Storms just needs to be cast once on the first pack and charges will be capped. No aiming required and it works from range whilst you can still use your main skill.

Let's go point by point then, since you think Blade Vortex is inconsistent and "not worth it".

Blade Vortex is not a melee skill and is not only for melee. With just the Increased Area of Effect support, it covers a considerable area with no other investment. While it may not be quite as large as Orb of Storms, it isn't so much smaller that it's melee. Far from it.

Blade Vortex hits everything in range, unlike OoS. It hits them once a second, per BV stack. So if you have ten enemies in range and five BV stacks, you'll cap charges more quickly than OoS ever will stack charges for you. OoS' base hit rate is half a second. BV can be pushed beyond four a second. In short, OoS will proc about twice a second while four BVs will proc four times a second. BV offers more.

Try opening a strongbox with one of these going. Blade Vortex offers much more in terms of charge generation, but also a lot more utility. If you're worried about boxes, can you imagine five BVs going with Knockback support? Melee enemies are pushed back before they can attack after spawning.
i run a lightning arrow three dragons crit freeze build and if i ever drop power charges im hurtin. i use PCoC because i don't want to generate charges with orb of storms, nor do i really have the sockets for it.

it is useful, but its usefulness is really limited to just a couple of actual applications. most builds do have no issue generating charges without it i agree.
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
If you're playing a build where you are trying to avoid mobs and are killing from range then BV is going to hit nothing. It's kind of silly to run into packs just to keep power charges up when you're trying to avoid damage.

Read my post. Increased Area of Effect and Knockback. Amazing supports.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info