[2.5] The FireFly (Burning HoT - insane damage)

Yea, it definitely has its limitations. Status immune maps are pretty much not possible to do. I am actually liking my 6l molten shell setup (Hits for 80k-130k). If it explodes on a boss, they pretty much die instantly. Though this would not be the case for guardians.

As for Overload, I seem to have no problems at all setting it up. If you dont mind being a little more reckless, use ball lightning in the cwdt setup. The more you ignite, the more you cast, the more u proc overload.

Have you tried using 'The Retch' belt for 15% additional movement speed? you can also get another 5% from corrupting the amulet.
Main characters: Deep_water - AnomaIy - Artica
Build guides: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1602863
I feel giving up the belt slot for movespeed, thus loosing 120+es and resists is just not worth it.
Besides you can craft 5%MS also on belts. So it's just a matter of taste, movespeed over es/res/flaskmods. I need to have my resists on the belt to be overcapped in ele.wkns maps.

Haven't had any luck in getting 4 red sockets on my chest yet, so the Molten Shell combo still needs to be tested, sounds good though. Quality on Culling Strike gives some cast speed btw.

btw, did you see the guy oneshotting Shaper with Vaal RF?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz8C2OvdONc
Kitty's Guide On Post Formatting - view-thread/1913874
Last edited by Dkodr on Oct 8, 2016, 3:51:47 PM
Can I ask why you don't go for Holy Fire in the wheel next to AoF? Do you just not need the burn damage?
So I am theorizing/testing about how to crit with a 6-link Vaal RF setup - what I have concluded so far is that it should be possible to get up 2 around 70-80% crit chance.
With a pair of well-rolled Voidbringers, 120% crit chance with boot enchant, about 200% crit chance from the passive tree and a Diamond flask. All of these factors together and the chance of also having Elemental Overload active should call for a crazy high damage Vaal RF bomb. It will have to be activated within a small timeframe window and could still fail so it's kind of playing roulette.
Need to get my gear setup correctly to do some testing.

edit: Double Palace boss 2nd form went down in 1 shot, guess guardians is next.

double edit: Tried the Minotaur in a Enfeeble map, hardly made a dent in him, even with 2 tries of Vaal RF...

Last edited by Dkodr on Oct 8, 2016, 8:37:19 PM
crit and overload dont really stack. No point gearing for such high crit chance if you plan to use overload. And if you dont use overload, then the HoT sufferes a huge damage loss.

Holy fire simply doesnt add much for damage compared to 2-4 points on a jewel (grand spectrum). I only went up there for the %chance to ignite.

I am 1 gear piece and 1 level away from testing a slight change to the build for leech. Once I have the item, I will upload some t16 boss kills and im fairly certain shaper will be easy.
Sounds interesting! Yea I wasn't thinking right about the crit mechanics with EO, thx for pointing that out.
also one alternative to lightning warp is to use a 3l shield charge + fortify + faster attacks if you have the dex.

I did some math for running a vaal righteous fire, and with my current gear and skill tree I can make it hit shaper for 650,000+ , followed by roughly 2.5 million ignite damage per second.

This would require a vaal discipline as well.

Here's the general math ( I rounded a few things for simplicity)

vaal RF
129% base damage.

15kes (with vaal discipline)
905% increased damage (with buffs)

15k x 1.29 = 20k
20k base damage x 10.05 = 200,000 (rounded for simplicity)
more multipliers: 40% overload - 60% conc effect - 42% controlled destruct
total = 2.42 multiplier
=484000 damage. shapers resist = 40%.
I have 65% fire pen
flamability = -48% x (0.60) against bosses = -28%
-15% + -28% = -43% fire resist.

484,000 x 1.43 = 692,000 fire damage.

initial hit = 692,000

then ignite
initial hit x 0.2 = 138,424
138,424 x 10.05
= 1,391,161

conc effect + overload = 100%
= 2.8 million dps ignite.

fire pen does not affect the ignite dmg, so shaper would have 40% - 28% = 12% fire resist.

2.8 x 0.88 = 2.4 million damage per second.

in total this is close to 8 million damage from one cast. I dont know how much hp he has but i would guess this would bring him close to culling range during his last phase.

EDIT - The math here is slightly off - bosses have 60% less curse effect, not 40%

Last edited by DreamScythe on Oct 20, 2016, 5:29:26 PM
I have 9k es at level 96, with lvl 20 vaal discipline I get 12,5k. How do you get 15k?

Doing some testing with

The damage gets higher, but the mana reservation goes up and the es pool takes a big hit.
Last edited by Dkodr on Oct 9, 2016, 3:39:34 AM
"
I have 9k es at level 96, with lvl 20 vaal discipline I get 12,5k. How do you get 15k?

ah, I just watched that vaal RF 1 shot the shaper boss, looked like he gained about 4.5k es when using vaal discipline. I figured with my new es helm, and if I threw on a decent es belt, I'd have roughly 15k es with vaal discapline.
Seems like he He activates 2 Vaal Disc.. first from 9,5k es to about 11k, and then from 11 to 16,5k.
At the same time he pops all his flasks and activates Vaal RF, everything within a 3 second window.
Last edited by Dkodr on Oct 9, 2016, 11:45:28 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info