[2.4] [SC] Pwn's FreezeCaller Permafreeze T15 bosses 200k DPS

Using the Inquisitor to ignore to resistances for perma-freezing is not a new idea, but I decided to do 100% lightning to cold damage conversion for a harder hitting and stronger perma-freeze. It's important to note that unlike normal DPS builds, higher cast rate can be detrimental to perma-freezing if it reduces the damage of your hits.

I've been able to perma-freeze pretty much every non-freeze immune boss up to T14 so far. I have been able to perma-freeze Colosseum Daresso and Overgrown Ruin Warband Leaders in Tier 15. Maps that have the increased cold resistance modifier are my favorite, since I'm at crit cap 95% of my hits are ignoring resistance anyway.

The backbone of this build is this ring:

We use 2x Call of the Brotherhood rings to convert 100% of our lightning damage to cold damage.

Videos
T12 Vaults: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwcCTqxfECk
T14 Palace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNdFwhOx4CM
T14 Shrine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vy3zsBpazs
T15 Colosseum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm3bNY0h_IU
T15 Dark Forest Twinned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Gv3HZxlAs
Uber Izaro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brF4MUhwsl0

Stats
Spoiler

Current Stats:

Over 160k AOE DPS

Why do we want 100% damage conversion?
Spoiler

There are a couple of options for getting lightning to freeze enemies, probably the most common is using the unique helmet The Three Dragons.
I originally considered this, however one of the most important stats for a perma-freeze build is "Freeze Duration". Using The Three Dragon's helmet doesn't change the damage type, just the type of status ailment, so it would be hard to justify picking up the 2x 20% "Freeze Duration" nodes in the cold wheel above witch.

Converting 100% of lightning damage to cold makes us lose the ability to shock enemies since we are no longer doing lightning damage.
People have suggested only using one Call of the Brotherhood for 50% conversion so that we don't lose the ability to shock enemies. The rationale was that applying a shock stack is a 50% more damage modifier for the cold damage as well, giving us a bonus to the amount of cold damage we can deal. However, 50% more damage on 50% of our damage is only 75% compared to what could be 100% of our damage. We will also get around our inability to shock by using Vaal Lightning Trap to create shocking ground.

Why Storm Call?
Spoiler

First of all, Storm Call looks freaking awesome.

Sustaining perma-freeze requires large single hits and a high crit chance. After looking through the list of lightning abilities, there were only two real contenders, Spark and Storm Call. Spark requires investment in LMP/GMP and projectile speed/duration/pierce so I picked Storm Call. It might be viable to run a perma-freeze spark build but someone else will have to build that.

I really wanted to make lightning tendrils work but because the damage of one cast is broken into 4 smaller hits, it can't be effective for perma-freezing.

Skill Tree
Spoiler
Skill Tree:
www.poeurl.com/MAA

Taking Storm Weaver gives us a whopping 76% increased damage and 20% mana regen for 3 points.

For perma-freezing we need to prioritize freeze duration, we get 40% from the cold wheel above witch and 10% from Elemental Focus by shadow.

DO NOT GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO GET CAST SPEED!

Bandit Rewards
Spoiler

Normal: Help Oak
Cruel: Kill All
Merciless: Help Alira

Gear
It's important to stack critical strike chance and critical strike multiplier as much as possible. I opted to use a Facebreakers for the huge 90% crit multiplier.
Spoiler

My Current Gear:

Skills Explanation
Spoiler

Our main freezing and DPS ability is Storm Call.
Spoiler

Storm Call
Faster Casting: We use Faster Casting instead of Spell Echo because Spell Echo has a 10% less damage modifier. In order to perma-freeze we need BIG hits and having faster smaller hits is counterproductive.
Increased Critical Strike Chance: This will help us reach crit cap much more easily as it affects the base crit chance.
Concentrated Effect: The biggest MORE damage modifier we can get. At level 20 this is a 59% MORE modifier. The AOE decrease is offset by our skill tree.
Less Duration: This is not only a big quality of life improvement as it makes it easier to hit your Storm Calls, it also reduces the gap between bursts of Storm Calls going off.
Hypothermia: 39% MORE damage against chilled enemies. Enemies can be frozen and chilled at the same time!

Options:
If you can reach crit cap of 95% with the 100% reduced crit chance of Controlled Destruction, I'd recommend taking it over Hypothermia. Hypothermia has 5% less damage than Elemental Focus but doesn't have the huge crit drawback.
Added Lightning Damage and Added Cold Damage are also great options to swap in for freeze-immune bosses.

DO NOT GET COLD PENETRATION. When we crit with Inquisitor's Inevitable Judgment, the enemies resistances are treated as zero regardless of any penetration we have. Cold penetration would be a wasted gem slot.

Orb of Storms
Spoiler

Orb of Storms: Hits a lot of targets quickly, scales with the AOE nodes on the tree.
Power Charge on Crit: This is our power charge generation/
Curse on Hit: Curse delivery...
Temporal Chains: We use this to increase the length of time of our freezes. Temp chains doesn't need to be leveled as the effectiveness doesn't scale.

Whirling Blades
Spoiler

Whirling Blades: One of the best movement skills
Faster Attacks: To attack faster..also to move faster..
Fortify: Free defense

CWDT1 Level 9
Spoiler

Cast When Damage Taken: Keep this at level 9.
Increased Duration: Increases duration on both Immortal Call and Vaal Lightning Trap.
Immortal Call: Keep you alive in emergencies. Keep this at level 11.
Vaal Lightning Trap: Since we are using 2x CotB we can't shock traditionally with lightning damage, Vaal Lightning Trap allows us to create shocking ground to gain the 50% more modifier bonus. This is linked here as it also gains the benefit of the Increased Duration.

CWDT2 Max Level
Spoiler

Cast When Damage Taken: Max level this.
Frost Wall: Can help with defense, blocks projectiles and path of mobs sometimes.
Molten Shell: More armor is always good.
Summon Flame Golem: I use this because I reach crit cap without using a Lightning Golem. If you aren't reaching crit cap, feel free to swap in a Lightning Golem instead. Note that you can temporarily remove the CWDT to manually summon your golem. Putting the CWDT back in will leave your golem intact.

Auras
Spoiler

Wrath: MORE modifier for lightning damage. Big DPS boost.
Edit: I've actually switched to 2 Heralds instead of Wrath.
Clarity: Need this to help sustain mana. Even with Clarity on, I keep a mana flask handy to sustain freeze on tougher bosses.

Skill Gem Links
Spoiler

Helmet: CWDT - Ice wall - Flame Golem - Molten Shell
Body Armour: Storm Call - Faster Casting - Inc Crit Chance- Conc Effect - Less Duration - Hypothermia
Gloves: Orb of Storms - PCOC - Temp Chains - Curse on Hit
Boots: CWDT - Increased Duration - Immortal Call - Vaal Lightning Trap
Dagger1: Whirling Blades - Faster Attack - Fortify
Dagger2: Herald of Thunder - Herald of Ice - Clarity

Jewels
Spoiler

This build has 5 jewel sockets and can potentially reach for a 6th.
Prioritize these stats when considering rare jewels:

Freeze Duration -> Life -> Crit Chance and/or Crit Multiplier -> Spell/Lightning/Cold/Area/Generic Damage
Fresh builds all day.
Last edited by DarthPwn on Sep 28, 2016, 5:54:32 PM
Last bumped on Nov 16, 2016, 4:57:38 PM
I'm going to change my tree around and try to reach for more jewel slots and more freeze duration.

I'm currently able to consistently freeze T12 bosses and some T13 bosses.

I tried a T15 Overgrown Ruin last night and was just unable to freeze the bosses at all, this might have been due to map mods (don't remember if it had hexproof or chance to avoid status ailments).

My end goal for this build is to be able to perma-freeze ALL non-freeze immune bosses in the game including Core Malachai.
Fresh builds all day.
Last edited by DarthPwn on Sep 23, 2016, 3:48:26 PM
Just had a few ideas that might be insanely powerful for perma-freezing...

Swap the main freeze ability to Cold Snap for built in 30% increased freeze duration.
Swap Carcass Jack for Voll's Protector.
Dual Curse with Orb of Storms - Curse on Hit - Temp Chains - Frostbite

Keeping 2x CotB, we change the 6L to:
Cold Snap - Inc Crit - Conc Effect - Hypothermia - Added Cold - Added Lightning

Run HoT and HoI instead of Wrath.

With Cold Snaps 120% damage effectiveness this nearly doubles the base damage of a level 20 Cold Snap before multipliers.

I believe this will result in a cold snap that hits harder than my current Storm Call and will have an additional 50% increased freeze duration.
Fresh builds all day.
Last night I was running higher tier maps and managed to perma-freeze several T14 bosses and Daresso in T15 Colosseum. I'm going to see how far I can push my freezing before deciding if I'm going to swap to Cold Snap.

I'm going to start recording some video to share with everyone.
Fresh builds all day.
Updated with current stats screenshot.
Fresh builds all day.
This build looks really interesting, do you have any tips for leveling?
"
aastr wrote:
This build looks really interesting, do you have any tips for leveling?

Pick up 2x of these http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Axiom_Perpetuum as early as you can.

I used these until level 65 for leveling, they really are amazing weapons for leveling spell casters.

Level using Storm Call like a normal build, pick up your CotB rings at your leisure whenever you can afford them.
Fresh builds all day.
I added an uncut T12 Vault video just to show what it looks like in action. I'll be putting together a video montage of higher tier map bosses later on.
Fresh builds all day.
Nice Build !

But why do you say Wrath and Clarity but in your Video you use 2 Heralds and Clarity?
What is the way to go now?
And is it Storm call or Cold snap now?
Last edited by Totmau5 on Sep 24, 2016, 8:38:37 AM
"
Totmau5 wrote:
Nice Build !

But why do you say Wrath and Clarity but in your Video you use 2 Heralds and Clarity?
What is the way to go now?
And is it Storm call or Cold snap now?

I swapped to 2 Heralds because in parties usually someone is running Wrath anyway. I think 2 Heralds actually gives higher damage than Wrath.

I haven't switched to Cold Snap as I've been having great success freezing up to T15 bosses with Storm Call and want to see how far I can push it.

I put up another video of T14 Palace, you can see Dominus permafrozen until the game freaks out.
Fresh builds all day.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info