[2.6][League Starter] Chinsol Blast Rain Chieftain - tanky Point Blank, Uber Lab, Guardians done

3.03.2017 UPDATE:
- Updated for 2.6 (not much to update since nothing changed, kek), added Blood Magic items.
- Changed one major Ascendancy node

Hello there!

I've created somewhat successful build, and I'd tho I'll share. :)

Build is based upon this sweet item:

Along with Blast Rain, it enables me to do 100% fire damage from physical damage. And who likes Fire Damage? Chieftain, of course! :D
This build focuses on Point Blank. I'm getting quite a bit of armor and endurance charges (seven of them), meaning I'm quite tanky, which is needed for pseudo-melee play style.

This build scales pretty well with Added Physical Damage from rings/amulets, since most of the damage comes from quite big multipliers (Point Blank, Chin Sol). So, in theory, with right gear you should be able to get around ~200k DPS, in point blank range (so that Chin Sol's 100% More kicks in). This leaves you with decent combination of tankiness, regeneration/leech and DPS on a budget.

Pros & Cons

Pros:
- Very good boss-fighting potential due to high regen/leech
- One-shoot resilient
- Good DPS in close range (up to ~200k, with right gear)
- Build enabling uniques are fairly cheap
- Stun immunity
- You're a goddamn bear!

Cons:
- No Sanic-gotta-go-fast clear speed, but still decent one
- You'll probably need Kaom's Heart
- Reflect is very scary because of RT. Be careful when killing reflect monsters!
- A lot of hits, meaning thorns also hurt. Same as above

Skill Tree

Focusing on fire damage in marauder area, with lots of armor and hp on the way. Some projectile damage and leech from Duelist gives enough leech to be able to tank most bosses (but, obviously, not all of them). If done right, Uber Argus/Izaro should be very easy to face-tank.
I'm picking Point Blank, obviously, Iron Grip on the way for some extra damage, paired with Iron Reflexes for base armor from Grace, RT because I'm not crit, and Unwavering for stun immunity.

You can also go with Blood Magic, but this will need you to drop Blasphemy, and you'll have to use Essence Worm. This puts more pressure on your gear, making it harder to cap (or overcap) resistances, and if you don't have decent gear yet, I'd advise using non-BM version to that moment.

Non-Blood Magic tree at level 90 OUTDATED!!

Blood Magic tree at level 92 without Unwavering Stance (assuming you wear Kaom's Roots

Blood Magic tree at level 92

Gear

Blood Magic Gear

Chin Sol is obviously a great budget choice for its 100% More multiplier in melee range. If you count that in, Chin Sol turns into 500 DPS bow. Paired with Empire's Grasp, Chin Sol will grab your enemies in (almost) inescapable bear hug of death! :D This is very helpful in maximizing Blast Rain DPS, since enemy needs to be in center of its "drop zone" in order to get hit by 4 (or 5 with helm enchant) blasts.

Kaom's is not required, but helps you being tanky, and increases your regen/leech potential. Given life is not very meta atm, it is also usually not that expensive anymore.

If you want, you can switch to Blood Magic, so that you are not bothered with mana, and you also get some extra life. Bare in mind you'll need to sacrifice some armor in the process, and probably will have to drop Blasphemy. In order to use Grace, you'll need to drop one ring for Essence Worm, too.

Rest of the gear focuses on getting armor/evasion, life and resistances. Nothing too fancy there, but a big pro about this build is that you are able to get %WED on rings, which help increase your damage.
In ideal scenario, you should get Steel right with 40% WED, flat phys and % fire damage. It should boost your DPS immensely. :)|

You can also use Lioneye's Fall for additional DPS increase in left side of the tree (if you are feeling like you're not getting enough)

Bandits

Normal: HP (obviously)
Cruel: Attack Speed (build is starving on attack speed from tree, this is very important)
Merciless: Endurance charge (for that extra tanking love)

Gem setup
Main attack (in order of importance): Blast Rain-> Weapon Elemental Damage -> Attack Speed -> Fire Pen -> Psy Proj -> Conc Effect

Other than that, you need Grace... and that is what is mandatory. :) I also picked up Molten Shell on CWdT, because 1. Armor, 2. Fire damage I have bonuses for. It can be exchanged for Immortal Call, but bare in mind you'll be losing your Endurance Charges all the time, which is not a great choice when fighting bosses!

I also picked Ranged Attack totem with another Blast Rain, a little messed support setup in there, but it is enough to help me fighting stationary bosses. If you want boss fights to be even easier, you can switch that for Decoy Totem, and maybe pick up another active skill for help.
You can also pick Arohongut, Moon's Presence for extra damage reduction and damage multiplier, instead of Tawhoa, Forest's Strength

I'm using Blasphemy Flammability for extra ignite chance, which in turn means more Endurance charges from killing monsters, and of course damage, but you can also exchange it for any other curse you prefer. On HC, I'd go with Enfeeble or Temp Chain, of course.
EDIT: Switched to Blood Magic and because of that dropped Blasphemy for CWdT Enfeeble, while using Essence Worm. This gives a little more HP (up to ~8k), but drops some of the utility/damage.

Video

Uber Izaro fights, with Fonts and Summoning Portals (third phase fully buffed)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guCh_c2GR08

Also, my character looks just like the one on the portrait!

Which is very important! :D

Cheers!

Ps. I'm not checking this thread that often. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me for faster answer - I'll post them here along with the answer (or just notify me that you posted here). :)
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Mar 3, 2017, 7:01:31 AM
Last bumped on Jun 18, 2017, 2:39:31 PM
Bump for some love and feedback. :C
I did Something similar in Perandus league, but went for dual totems, AoF for fire conversion and Rearguard for block (You can see Draconian_Love in my character list) It was a very nice build, and since then It got stronger due to Chieftain buffs. Might have to try to rebuild it :)
What do you think about taking Idomitable passive instead of chunk of dmg/hp on Hc? I could cut a lot of dmg from suprise attacks.
"
UrlSheek wrote:
What do you think about taking Idomitable passive instead of chunk of dmg/hp on Hc? I could cut a lot of dmg from suprise attacks.

Sure, you can cut some Increased damage nodes, as you're not going to complain about damage anyways.

If you want to pump it up even more (against physical damage), you can pick up Soul of Steel for pseudo-8 Endurance charge.
this is a really interesting build, i want to try this but a bit confused as to what is the best route to level this build
should i got for BlastRain from early on ? or should i use other skill ? untili can use Chin Sol / Signal Fire ?
Guardians and Shaper viability?
"
borbalaago wrote:
this is a really interesting build, i want to try this but a bit confused as to what is the best route to level this build
should i got for BlastRain from early on ? or should i use other skill ? untili can use Chin Sol / Signal Fire ?

I'm leveling one right now. I started using Groundslam with melee splash + ancestral protector, always using unique maces, then at lvl 28 started using Ancestral Warchief + facebreaker + The deep one shield. About the tree itself, started getting Resolute Technique and Unwavering Stance nodes respectively first, then the fire damage nodes. Switched to Blast Rain at lvl 34, when I got myself a 5L Bow with 155 phys dmg, so I could swap my tabula with walls of brambles armor that has 2k+ armor, giving you 80% phys Dmg Reduction. Actually at lvl 41, going smooth now. I think Wall of Brambles is a Must in this build while leveling as Blast Rain, you won't be taking any damage anymore. IMO you can use it until you get Kaom's heart easily. I'm trying to 5Link it, so I can use my 295 phys dmg lvl 50 bow :D and reach lvl 62 to equip Chin Sol!
Last edited by hisokasp on Oct 16, 2016, 6:33:31 PM
Nice build! I was wondering, could you swap your weapon for Lioneye's Glare and spec into Elemental Overload? Lioneye has the "Hits can't be Evaded" so you don't need RT and Accuracy nodes.

I'm not a math guy but Could this setup do more damage than Chin Sol?
So is this build good as a league starter? I mean if i will use Belly instead of Kaom's for example and so on

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info