Labyrinth is a terrible necessity

This rant is from a mostly casual player, and probably applies to most other casual players.

I used to enjoy Hardcore as a fun challenge and nail-biting experience I could experience alone or with friends, but ever since the removal of Hardcore-specific MTX league rewards and the introduction of the Labyrinth (specifically Uber lab) I can't find much incentive to play it.

The Uber trials alone are incredibly deadly, the traps can be confusing to understand because of camera angles and the inability to see what's up ahead (without blatantly running over the trap itself); and yet, the labyrinth is a necessity, which is a terrible thing.

When compared to pre-lab, most of the super-scary content was opt-in. If you wanted the challenges for killing act bosses, you could go take on Merc Malachai and test your skills/gear. If you wanted to go for that Hope drop, you could take on Atziri--or if you already had it, you could put your build to the test against Uber Atziri. Why run Atziri? For the unique drops of course. Items, which could be purchased for currency if you decided you didn't want to run Atziri.

There's no purchasing Lab points. You can have people 'run' you through the Lab, which really only means they'll kill Izaro for you. They can't take you through the traps, which for a player who isn't as mechanically inclined as he used to be, is the worst part about the Lab.

I'm all for the addition of cool, deadly mechanics, but not as necessary components of the game. What's the point of making something necessary accessible only to players who either play standard and are alright with dying multiple times or to those who are mechanically adept?
Last edited by ToBeSomebody on Sep 7, 2016, 12:37:03 PM
Last bumped on Oct 9, 2016, 12:33:47 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
My understanding is that HC league populations have been decimated. So you're not alone. Thank you for expressing your feedback.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
Last time I tried to trade in hardcore there was nobody in a4 town.

AND I MEAN NOBODY
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
"
ToBeSomebody wrote:
The Uber trials alone are incredibly deadly, the traps can be confusing to understand because of camera angles and the inability to see what's up ahead (without blatantly running over the trap itself); and yet, the labyrinth is a necessity, which is a terrible thing.

Only Uber/trials have really deadly trap gauntlets. But having the last two points is not even close to being a requirement. Uber is for min-maxers, the same as leveling to 100. You don't need it to successfully play the rest of the game.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
morbo wrote:
"
ToBeSomebody wrote:

Only Uber/trials have really deadly trap gauntlets. But having the last two points is not even close to being a requirement. Uber is for min-maxers, the same as leveling to 100. You don't need it to successfully play the rest of the game.

I understand your argument about the definition of 'necessity,' however it can be applied to most anything I spoke about (including gear) and yet my point still stands: call it necessity or call it min-maxing, everything can be bought or ground out through safer content with the exception of the labyrinth. Even level 100 can eventually be achieved through maps that don't have very high %max health physical damage traps.
"
ToBeSomebody wrote:
"
morbo wrote:
"
ToBeSomebody wrote:

I understand your argument about the definition of 'necessity,' however it can be applied to most anything I spoke about (including gear) and yet my point still stands: call it necessity or call it min-maxing, everything can be bought or ground out through safer content with the exception of the labyrinth. Even level 100 can eventually be achieved through maps that don't have very high %max health physical damage traps.

You do realize the traps hurt because you are suppose to avoid them right?

"
My understanding is that HC league populations have been decimated. So you're not alone. Thank you for expressing your feedback.

I can't wait until they release the % population information so I can say "i told you so" for completely ignoring any and all other reasons why the HC population declined, including, but not limited to the 1 league idea, popular streamers alternating leagues (which is HC this time around), ect.

Lets also not ignore you aren't and have never been a hardcore player from the looks of things, so your "understanding" is off base and unnecessary.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
Last edited by goetzjam on Sep 7, 2016, 2:15:37 PM
y my Chieftan needs the 7-8th AC point... uber trials are so dangerous in hc...
no fun at all + bad design imo
sry for double post
Last edited by TheDeathX on Sep 7, 2016, 3:29:37 PM
"
TheDeathX wrote:
y my Chieftan needs the 7-8th AC point... uber trials are so dangerous in hc...
no fun at all + bad design imo

Then pay and get a carry if you feel you need the points but can't do the challenge.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
call it necessity or call it min-maxing, everything can be bought or ground out through safer content with the exception of the labyrinth

and how is that a bad thing? the lab is one of the few real achievements and tests left in POE. it can still be paid for but you have to do the traps YOURSELF. one of the few things that test you as a player not your build (that anyone can copy) nor you wealth acquisition skills (gear).

and if you play HC - why you are for difficult mechanics that are AVOIDABLE?

so it is what HC is now? a bunch of hard, elite, uber, difficult scary content you do not have to touch but you can still play the 'i play for thrills and challenge' flag?

lab being mandatory (or not but it is something for others to waste their time discussing) sure had impact on HC - it is no longer so easy to wave the 'im superior because i play HC' flag. logout - the most popular skill in HC! - will save you from traps/Izaro but will cost you an entire run. that must be infuriating.. and people ARE conditioned to chicken gameplay in HC. streamers no longer pretend that they will take the death if they deserve it - they 'log' and still claim they are HC. it is lame. and anything that puts a stop to that i welcome with open arms

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info