[2.5] Crit Cold Snap Inquisitor [SC/HC Viable] [Budget Friendly]

Hello exiles and welcome to my guide for a Crit Cold Snap Inquisitor
If you love to shatter full packs of mobs and perma-freeze bosses, then this is the build for you!

Updates (12/9/16)
Spoiler

-Adding leveling tips
-Extra gearing information (including a movement skill set up)
-Linked my gear
-Added link to tooltip/cold snap stats
-Added trees for different leveling points
-Facebreakers were nerfed from 90% crit multi to 45%, hurting freeze potential quite a bit for single target.
-Opal rings were added which scales both cold and lightning, helping freeze and shock duration a bit
-Essences of Hatred were added to the main game now, making it easier to stack cold damage and help freeze tanky targets

TL:DR? Here's a short video explaining the basics
Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ-ayeIYDSg

Pros and Cons
Spoiler
Pros:
-Budget friendly
-Easy gearing (only 1 required Unique)
-Freezes majority of mobs including exiles and bosses
-Safe (As long as you have power charges)

Cons:
-If you aren't paying attention, losing your power charges can put you in danger
-Reflect can be a problem once you reach high damage (easily solved with Vaal Pact)
-Once in awhile have to press a button other than right click (oh no!!)

Tooltip

Leveling
Spoiler
When it comes to leveling you can do it in almost anyway you feel suits you. If you don't want to spend any regrets/refund points I recommend leveling as Non-Crit Firestorm using whatever wands or scepters you find. If you have currency for leveling uniques I recommend dual-wielding Lifesprigs until you can get yourself a Realm Ender (From "The Beginning and the End" Prophecy).

For the Skill Tree just take the path shown and skip the crit nodes until you have the gear (Voll's + Decent crit weapon + capped resists) to make the switch. I switched at lv50 but reflect became an issue since I didn't have Vaal Pact so be careful on hardcore

My Gear
Spoiler

Gearing
Spoiler
Use Rares except for....

The only "required" unique is Voll's Protector. You can use a Carcass Jack, giving you more Life and Damage but you'll have to link Orb of Storms to Power Charge on Crit and/or use a Winter's Bounty Jewel to generate chargers which isn't as reliable. (Especially for boss fights)

This is a good idea of the type of weapon you should look for (unless you plan on using a unique) Cold Snap has a 120% Damage Effectiveness on it so that added lightning damage gets boosted quite abit. Using 2 daggers like this gives me almost more lightning damage than cold, which is great for shocking enemies.

One you can 1-2 packs, focus on getting life. By act 4, you should have around 4k minimum. Life/crit multi jewels will help you squeeze abit more life out of your gear since we're missing life on our body armour and possibly gloves if you have facebreakers.

If you're having trouble surviving still, check your flasks. Granite/Basalt should be used before running into any heavy physical packs. Bring an elemental resist flask that suits the map you're running.

Helpful Uniques

I recommend Facebreakers for gloves since 90% crit multi makes a big difference but it can cause reflect issues while you're still leveling or getting your gear in shape
Voidbringers also is a decent pair of unique gloves giving Herald of Ice and Herald of Thunder an extra level but the extra mana cost will probably cause more mana issues in most cases

For weapons, you can use Divinarus which is a good starting dagger and gives you extra area. Using 2 will give you enough damage until you get good rare daggers (Or wands if you like having high cast speed)

Want to use a shield instead? Saffell's Frame offers abit of Spell Block and 4% Max Res which will help with any reflect issues. A Rathpith Globe will also give you Spell Block but also grants Spell Damage and Max Life.

Gem Links
Spoiler
Cold Snap > Increased Area of Effect (Concentrated Effect for bosses) > Increased Critical Strikes > Spell Echo > Hypothermia or Life Leech

Orb of Storms > Increased Critical Strikes > Faster Casting > Increased Area of Effect or Mana Leech

Vaal Haste > Vaal Clarity > Increased Duration

Herald of Ice > Herald of Thunder > Curse on Hit > Warlord's Mark

Choose whichever golem you prefer. Lightning for cast speed/added lightning, flame for flat damage, chaos for physical defense.

Whirling Blades > Faster Attacks > Fortify

This is a great defensive set up when encountering physical packs. It isn't wise you whirl into every pack since freezing from a distance is a lot safer but if you can safely whirl into 1-3 mobs to get off the fortify buff, it will greatly improve your survivability.

Bandits

Current Skill Tree + Skill Tree Progression
Spoiler

As stated above, I recommend leveling as firestorm.

21 Points
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUBAPndi4zAmgmq2fzAZgSzogA8Be98n9-aO4Kb7TzVpkVHMtHr7prgRZ1TUu1hvFaSbtJ8ApacewxSqLk=

41 Points
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUBAPndi4zAmgmq2fzAZgSzogA8Be98n9-aO4Kb7TzVpkVHMtHr7prgRZ1TUiycES1qQ8BUCPRtGZf0PV9SU5eVTLM6WFXGg9sEBx8CMjSvt3yDh2UQWO1hvFaSbtJ8ApacewxSqLk=

62 Points
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUBAPndi4zAmgmq2fzAZgSzogA8Be98n9-aO4Kb7TzVpkVHMtHr7prgRZ1TUiycES3jahZvJKo26Rps5CKQVScvOtjsOF3yDkhJUfDVlS4HHhGWf8aTJ2wLakPAVAj0bRmX9D1fUlOXlUyzIvRVxoPbBAcfAjI0r7d8g4dlEFjtYbxWkm7SfAKWnHsMUqi5

81 Points (Switching to crit and getting vaal pact)
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUBAPndi4zAmgmq2fzAZgSzogA8Be98n9-aO4Kb7TzVpkVHMtHr7prgRZ1TUiycES3bXlAwIG6MNonTcFKus9D1QZYFQrb696aOZB0U-tLjahZvJKo26Rps5CKQVScvOtjsOF3yDkhJUfDVlS4HHhGWf8aTJ2wLakPAVAj0bRmX9D1fUlOXlUyzIvRVxoPbBAcqC_IdZJ18g-v1j_rtYbxWkm7SfAKWnHsMUqi5VUth4iaVFr8=

My current character
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUBAPndi4zAmgmq2fzAZgSzogA8Be98n9-aO4Kb7TzVpuw4OtgnL5BVGjiFe2ZURUcy0evumuBFnVNSHNyPGnyDES0snAVCQZbQ9a6zTLMgblAw216XlVJTPV8EB4PbVcaX9G0ZCPTAVGpDIvRsC5Mnf8YRlgcelS7w1Y_66_VknfIdSVEOSF3yKgtwUonTjDZVS2HiJpUWv9Af7-u-iqEvD6ski8M6KjibtYTF5CIabDbpJKoWb-Nq-tIdFI5k96a2-vAfOli86u1hvFaSbtJ8ApacewxSqLlPBEPI

For late game, either pick up the scion life square for 203% life (+ whatever you have on jewels) or pick up Melding + shadow elemental nodes depending on your playstyle

Thank you everyone for your feedback on the build. Hope you all enjoy playing it :D
Last edited by Tibasu on Dec 9, 2016, 3:07:11 PM
Last bumped on Feb 28, 2017, 10:25:25 AM
i'm gonna try this on new league, i love cold snap but never tried the crit one. i give the feedback ><
Could you provide some tips or priorities for leveling? Such as skills to use or helpful uniques?
Any chance you'll be updating the guide? Having fun with the build so far!
"
Any chance you'll be updating the guide? Having fun with the build so far!

I check on my video/forum guides every so often so if there is any additional info someone needs for a build I can add it anytime. Just let me know if you have any questions/suggestions
"
I check on my video/forum guides every so often so if there is any additional info someone needs for a build I can add it anytime. Just let me know if you have any questions/suggestions

Thank you for responding! I have a Voll's Protector 6s, but now I'm working on where to head with weapons/jewelry/armor.

What should be prioritized to help survive merciless and onward? Resists/Frost Damage/Crit/Leech?

For endgame daggers, should I target two Kriss' with Woe essence?

Energy Shield + armor or just shield?

Any recommendation for Cruel trial or does that come after gearing? The boss currently just 1 shots me after clearing the first 2-3 maps.
Last edited by haBla on Sep 11, 2016, 10:05:00 PM
"
Thank you for responding! I have a Voll's Protector 6s, but now I'm working on where to head with weapons/jewelry/armor.

What should be prioritized to help survive merciless and onward? Resists/Frost Damage/Crit/Leech?

For endgame daggers, should I target two Kriss' with Woe essence?

Energy Shield + armor or just shield?

Any recommendation for Cruel trial or does that come after gearing? The boss currently just 1 shots me after clearing the first 2-3 maps.

I try to cap my resists as soon as I get into merciless. As long as you can one shot packs, your damage is good. If you can, focus on hitting 4k life minimum. You won't be getting much % energy shield on the tree so I recommend armour bases (unless you feel safer with an ES buffer, then get hybrid armour/ES)

two kriss with spell crit and spell damage should be enough for awhile but since cold snap has a 120% damage effectiveness, getting lightning dmg to spells will actually give you alot more damage. (and you'll be able to shock mobs) you can also use an ES shield with spell crit, life and spell damage if you still feel abit too squishy

For cruel lab, I always wait until I'm around lv70 just to be safe. With 4k life and a granite of iron skin you should be safe from izaro as long as you don't stand still too much. Just make sure to keep up your power charges and circle strafe around him.

Hope this helps!
So something like Added Lightning Damage Support but on a weapon as +dmg modifier?

Also, where do you think there tree should go next, up top to the frost dmg at heart of ice?
Last edited by haBla on Sep 11, 2016, 11:34:08 PM
"
So something like Added Lightning Damage Support but on a weapon as +dmg modifier?

Also, where do you think there tree should go next, up top to the frost dmg at heart of ice?

Yup. Just like this dagger. You can use torment essences to get it if you have any.
For higher levels I would get the elemental damage from the shadow area to scale both the cold and lightning damage once you do get a weapon like above. Also Storm Weaver in the templar's side will be helpful later on.
Hi! thanks for the build, i'm trying it on HC essence. I got just one question (even if it's pretty obvious): the bandits! Shall we get Life, then passive, then max Power Charge? Or am I totally wrong?
I precise I'm still nooby even after 650+ hours of game :P

Thnaks for the (future) response!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info