2.4 CoC Icespear/shot deadeye.

So, in 2.3 I made a CoC barrage deadeye.
Icespear/Essance drain.
This combo, and build bizarrely never mentioned. It was strong. very strong.
Ranger with all those projectile speed, damage nodes. as well, as free chain, or free pierce, and crit multi.
But that was then, this is now. 2.4 is killing CoC!? right? nah. son. naw.

Old CoC made heavy use of faster attacks, and spaming. So, yeah, Barrage. you are gone.
So, lets focus a bit, and be the best we can be..
Ice shot.

Iceshot was already borderline OP as a few knew about with Ricochet or fork, and shotgunning aoe. Im sure some knew that.. But without a doubt, the ideal base for CoC post 2.4.
Icespear itself. 7.% base crit. 600% inc crit chance in second form. it stays in second form after forks and chains.
CoC of course.
Gmp/lmp your pref.
Inc crit strikes. atm, probably still want this, we do want to hit as high of a crit% we can. so this an assassins mark still probably ideal.
6th socket, cold pen is #1. Hypothermia #2. and Crit damage #3.

Bow's to use?
with the massive nerf to hits/sec and CoC, we are much more free with bows. Quill rain, doesn't rain supreme. High Crit harbringers great.
Tora bow. Tora's bows cause bleeding. Combined with Rupture in deadeye, you are giving your icespear/shot another 40% crit multi, and 80% crit. (+king of the hill/bleed always good.)
deaths opus/harp. INC crit?, +150% global crit multi?, +1 or 2 arrows? hahahahaha. GG. almost perfect for this.

6l CoH+frenzy+assassins+pcoc+inccrit+crit multi
3l+1 dual herald+enhance. purity of Ice. HoI/HoT (quality gives .75% global cold/litdamage.) 20% gem-15%cold/lit damage, 16% enhance-12% for 27% cold/light damage. atm, 91% reservation with Purity UNLINKED. it gains little from quality, and should not be linked to enhance.
3l+1 Cwdt+ic+incduration. End cry.
3l+1 blink+fa+golem. decoy totem.

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAICAQBeAdEDHgUtBbUHHgguCpsM8g2NDdEOSA_EES8RlhPaFHUVQxmOH0EhdiPTI_Yk_SaVKgsrCjBxMHwzkjY9OdQ6Qjt8Ps9DE0MxR35JUUp9S3hM_02STipRR1F0VUtW-loaW69d8mHiYqxjQ2VNZdNsjG_ycFJxQ3Ttdct463rvfXV_K3_GgayGzod2idOMNo19jX6Nv47pj2CVLpuNnaqgn6EiokCio6XLppmv67EBtMW4yrvjvTa95r6nwTPC7MMzxKLIzM2Yz17TftQj2sHdqN9v44Tjn-cK51Tpvepi62Ptg-4O73rvj_C78NX0-PzF_rr_3g==

CasiaprophCoC is the legacy deadeye for those curious. totally unoptimized. Alot of testing, respecing.

Victarios Acuity is great for this of course.
Last edited by Casia on Sep 10, 2016, 9:13:56 AM
Last bumped on Nov 24, 2016, 9:29:41 AM
Hello! Newbie here, so when you autoattack your ice shot when it reaches an enemy it does coc and then it does the ice spear right ? if i got this straight. Also i saw in your tree that you've spent 6 points in Deadeye prophecy class where do you think are best to spend the other two points to? Also do you think it's worth taking the pierce and piercing shots nodes in the Passive tree? or is it completely useless for this build ? (i have no clue how the ice shot and ice spear works)
There is an order of operations in Pierce, fork, and chain.

Taking pierce nodes would be up to the player, largely based on their quiver choice.
The best quiver is probably just a random crit/crit multi/life one. No unique quiver gives crit multi.
However, drillneck the ever popular does scale projectile damage based on arrow piece, it will scale icespear based on your bow pierce. AND the pierce nodes in tree themselves, are all projectiles. icespear included.
The problem is, if the iceshot pierces, it does not fork or chain. and same with spear. This makes pierce itself, not great, when you have +1 chain, from Ricochet. its largely overkill, when everything is already getting hit with iceshot and ice spear.
Spear also innately has 100% pierce in form 1. when it first casts.
So, I would not recommend going for pierce as well.

8pt Ascendancy.
the Core is the 4 points for Richocet.
I should note from experience. Fast and deadly is not great for leveling. however, powerful precision IS. Getting powerful prec in normal lab, then when you do cruel laby, and get +2 more points, respecing for ricochet is very strong.

Personal pref for the other 4 really. none are "perfect", all useful for various gear.
Rupture's main value is if you do the tora's bow route.
If you do not do that, powerful prec is a good option all around. and again if you do go drillneck.
Farshots 30% more damage is attacks only. so, great for the iceshot, not so much for spear. +1 proj from endless munitions is decent all around too. but not core.
Thank you really much for your answer, i'll test this build in new patch and i'll see how it'll go. I think i like more the rare crit/life quiver over any unique. Any path first for leveling in the skill tree? I'm thinking first to take Bravery/golem's blood nodes and then going upwards to Nullification/Sniper etc. nodes. What do you think? Also, about the bandits? Oak/Kraytin/Kraytin ?
Last edited by GLADIATORGR on Aug 31, 2016, 2:15:55 PM
I am a fan of hp when leveling.
so ignore the proj damage and ballistic mastery when starting ranger. back for those later.
start life/eva. get thick skin.
herbalism, thickskin, king of the hill. Double leech. golems blood, and furybolts-bravery.

at that point, frenzy nodes, leathality, and heartseeker.

Do note CoC takes alot of links.
Just iceshot, coc, icespear is 3 links itself. with no lmp/gmp, or inc crit chance. So is not something you will be making use of immediately, getting that crit asap not needed.

iceshot itself will manage very well. especially if you get powerful prec in normal labyrinth.
split shot also is amazing with powerful prec. a good secondary, and great for Curse on hit.

Edit:
small change to the pathing up by doomcast.
freed up 1 passive point, and got the life/es nodes.
Do you think with this build will you be able to kill late game bosses such as Guardians of the Void or even the Shaper? or this build is just for farming maps?
hard to say. we have no idea what that content will be like.

this is definitely stronger aoe then single target. The mechanic is sound, theres solid hp options. +probably should throw acro/phase acro for good measure.
Last edited by Casia on Aug 31, 2016, 7:51:31 PM
pretty sure self cast ice spear will be much better than a bow coc.
Jumped into some maps to test a bit. This is now a standard character, so not getting much love, while I play Essence league.

I stand by my earlier assessment. This character is STRONGER now, then in prophecy. The more multi on CoC, and more added to spear itself is huge.

Modified auras a bit. Running tri Heralds now. Anger is strong, but I am not a fan of the lack of "synergy" with fire aura on ice/lit based character. Ash is still there... but less dominate.

Aoe clear is massive.
Single target as noted, less so.
I do advise taking an alternate for single target. Specifically, for GMP.
Slower proj, hypothermia, or added cold.
Hypo adds the most damage. But, needs chilled/frozen targets. this setup deals a ton of cold, and freezes like crazy, but bosses have high resist to this. so slower proj is probably ideal for this.

Another aspect, which I need to fully test. The 500ms change, means breakpoints should be supremely important to CoC now. My char for example atm has 2.1 attacks per second, unbuffed atm. Which.... sucks badly. that .1 lowers my dps by 90%.
first attack-proc icespear, .476s second attack, CD not up. .476s third attack, proc icespear.
Becuase I attack *just* too fast, every other attack and proc icespear. and instead of spears every .5s, spears come every .95seconds.
So, ideally, you want your attack speed just UNDER the 500ms breakpoints. 1.9attacks/s. 3.9a/s.
As close to, without going over, 2a/s, 4a/s.

stats for my char as seen. With slower proj.
heralds/golem

Icespear.
3094-4721
36.94 crit/418%crit multi

Iceshot
2.1a/s 89% hit.
1070-2749
52.33% crit/458crit multi

Buffs.
4power/7frenzy

Icespear.
3953-6031
54.73 crit/418%crit multi
Iceshot
2.69a/s 89% hit.
1364-3504
69.63% crit/458crit multi

+assassins. +9% crit, 20% more. (78.63 ice shot crit. 61.33% form 1 icespear, 103.3 form 2 crit)
diamond flask, if you like.

Gear ain't even pretty.

Oh, and run a Sapphire flask for reflect maps of course.
Last edited by Casia on Sep 4, 2016, 11:04:23 AM
where as you may want your attack speed just under the 500ms points, that is only if you have 100% critical strike chance and 100% accuracy, which nobody has or can have. so you actually want slightly more attack speed than the 500ms points, depending on how much crit/accuracy you actually have. it would be very difficult to really pinpoint this, and even so its based off percentage probability so it won't be the same every time since you can have a run of lucky crits or unlucky, which would change the whole thing.

in short, attack speed break points are not as important as you think at all.

i tested my 2.3 CoC build out against this patches. i do notice a difference, a big difference. i have a quill rain barrage CoC ice spear/arctic breath/freezing pulse build. it was super super spammy and amazing at freeze locking things. now? its shit in comparison. still decent though.

i have 4.44 attacks per second with quill rain and a bunch of extra arrows on barrage from GMP and jewels with 70% crit so im pretty sure i can proc CoC on its cooldown for each spell every time, except its 1 spell prc at a time instead of all 3. sure before it had a proc rate, but with the amount of arrow spam im shooting (16*4.44 = 71 per second aoe and 8*4.44 = 35.52 single target) the 69% proc rate didn't matter basically at all.

at 71 projectiles per second, 65% real crit rate and 69% proc rate i'd proc upwards of a total of 95 spells per second. this would actually be lowered from the internal cooldown of the gem which used to be 0.05 seconds.
now im still stuck with just 6 spells per second no matter how you cut it. im still firing off 71 projectiles but it really doesn't matter anymore

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info