Question : Arctic Armor or Purity of Fire ?

"
Natharias wrote:
If you aren't moving, AA is the only intelligent choice. 12% less damage taken? Purity of Fire cannot possibly compare.

He has 76% fire resist at the moment (capped), purity of fire will put him to 80% capped (at level 20 assumig no aura effectiveness or things like that).

At 76% resist he's taking 24% of the original fire damage, at 80% he's taking 20.

20/24 = 83.33% So he's taking 16.7% less fire damage. Much better than AA. It just doesn't work with phys as well like AA does.
"
Natharias wrote:
Resistances do not become more effective for each point you stack. There is a hard cap and it's expected that you are capped with your elemental resistances. Anyone who isn't capped is playing a very risky character.

Purity of Fire increases your maximum fire resistance.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
"12% less damage taken? Purity of Fire cannot possibly compare."
*twitch*
There's a mighty fine reason just about every Aurabot carries all three monotype purities.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 28, 2016, 8:04:12 AM
"
dudiobugtron wrote:
AA's damage reduction sucks for most builds. It only works when you are standing still, which is basically never.

The chilled ground is nice though.

I think aa works if you use a movement skill like lightning warp or whirling blades. It counts as you being stationary to my understanding?

Also for skills that need you to be stationary when attacking aa is nice. It works great on my archer as i have to stop to attack. It's hard to tell how well it actually works out for every skill and build.

Atleast there is the chilled ground. Always helpful.
"
kompaniet wrote:
I think aa works if you use a movement skill like lightning warp or whirling blades. It counts as you being stationary to my understanding?

It's really easy to know when you count as moving and when you don't.
If you move, then you don't count as stationary. It's actually that simple.

Lightning Warp is an instant teleport, there is no timeframe in which you can count as moving (assuming you're not issuing move commands :P ).
Whirling Blades consists of three segments: wind-up, whirl, wind-down. During the whirl you're very much moving, and won't benefit from AA. Between whirls, which is the larger part, you're stationary.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 28, 2016, 11:44:52 AM
"
dudiobugtron wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:
Resistances do not become more effective for each point you stack. There is a hard cap and it's expected that you are capped with your elemental resistances. Anyone who isn't capped is playing a very risky character.

Purity of Fire increases your maximum fire resistance.

Pretty much. The relevant part of a Purity of an specific element is the max resistances it gives you, which becomes more effective with each extra point you get. If it was only for the normal resistances then you would go for Purity of elements.
"
Muldeh wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:
If you aren't moving, AA is the only intelligent choice. 12% less damage taken? Purity of Fire cannot possibly compare.

He has 76% fire resist at the moment (capped), purity of fire will put him to 80% capped (at level 20 assumig no aura effectiveness or things like that).

At 76% resist he's taking 24% of the original fire damage, at 80% he's taking 20.

20/24 = 83.33% So he's taking 16.7% less fire damage. Much better than AA. It just doesn't work with phys as well like AA does.

Huh. I figured since AA acted multiplicatively it did more. Strange how more does less here.
@OP: it would depend. When you say Uber Atziri, do you mean just Uber Atziri or the enemies that come before her? Against Uber Atziri, Artic Armor is definitely worse, since she is immune to chill. But against everyone else, Arctic Armor gives chill ground, which is amazing for survival purposes.

"
Natharias wrote:
"
Muldeh wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:

Huh. I figured since AA acted multiplicatively it did more. Strange how more does less here.

For reduction percentages, multiplicative is not as good as additive. Each additive % becomes exponentially stronger. Each multiplicative % is linear growth.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info