Melee rework needed badly.

Single target melee's problem is the single target melee isn't a play style the feels good in this game, I could 1 shot everything and it could make me invincible and it would still feel underwhelming. The large AoE melee skills feel much better in terms of play style.

I think the onslaught league was really the death of melee in this game, when they decided that people liked fast moving kitey monsters.
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"
Solution: Make the one non-melee skill (EQ) as crappy as the rest, call it a day. Yikes!

The downside to melee needs to be slower killing in exchange for higher survivability. It seems that everyone knows this except for the GGG devs. :(

EQ is still the best melee skill, and it still out-performs any other melee skill by a mile! Yes, damage was nerfed by ~15%, AoE was nerfed a bit - so what? Skills like Ice Crash or Sweep need "+50% more damage" buff to compete with EQ, and skills like Heavy Strike need +100-150% more damage for that.

They also nerfed Less Duration. To be fair the only competing skill will be reave, and that uses entirely different weapons. Groundslam could be interesting, but it is far from EQ.

"
j33bus wrote:
Single target melee's problem is the single target melee isn't a play style the feels good in this game, I could 1 shot everything and it could make me invincible and it would still feel underwhelming. The large AoE melee skills feel much better in terms of play style.

I think the onslaught league was really the death of melee in this game, when they decided that people liked fast moving kitey monsters.

Perhaps if there were tree nodes that were geared specifically for the namelock targeting style skills adding a built in hinder or temp chains effect?

There are players who are far less concerned with huge AoE clear speed faux melee meta and want a more traditional arpg melee experience.
"
Namcap wrote:
"
Bex_GGG wrote:
With the wide-ranging melee buffs and adjustment to Earthquake, we expect to see a much more balanced use of melee skills.

It's alright guys. Melee is fixed now. They added a few % more damage to completely out of date skills. All our problems are now fixed.

Honestly that line in the patch notes is probably the worst dev comment I have ever read in every game I have ever played.

Someone should make a Hitler parody out of This melee "buffs"

self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

"
Emphasy wrote:
"
Solution: Make the one non-melee skill (EQ) as crappy as the rest, call it a day. Yikes!

The downside to melee needs to be slower killing in exchange for higher survivability. It seems that everyone knows this except for the GGG devs. :(

The issue is that this would require new mechanics, the number-tweaking they did is good for melee, since this allows you to shift some stats from offense to defense essentially doing that. If you get 20% more damage from your skill you can afford skilling more defensive.

Except you can't skill against bullshit like Volatile blood or Bearers. There is literally nothing on the passive tree that helps against those apart from life nodes, and a few more of those ain't gonna help against explosions that deal twice your total HP.
GGG had it right when they baked life into melee nodes.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info