[2.4 | Video Guide] The Big Dipper & Galaxy Ripper - Non-Crit & CoC Vortex Ignites

I've actually only run the guardians as really nasty corrupted maps where I couldn't use RF, but yeah you should be able to oneshot each phase of the guardian (can't bypass phase changes), assuming their HP values are correct.

I'll get the guide updated with the details of the crit one soon.
Crit version is also using RF.
Right now crit version is an occultist which means you lose proliferation.
The upside is you are tankier and can just use facebreaker all the time, the massive regen from occultist is really nice.

I'm not really sure how i feel about not having prolif, so I may rework it back into an elementalist and just recommend facebreaker as a gear swap for guardians/shaper.

The DPS math is actually a solid chunk lower than I was doing because i hadn't updated it.

I've been considering Cast on Crit for a long time, but giving up 2 gem sockets for it kinda sucks, and it only shines on a 6L.
Most likely the CoC version is what i'll end up with though, because selfcasting without prolif is just not as smooth.

EDIT: Yeah, CoC is definitely the way to go if doing the crit version.
Last edited by Xendran on Oct 26, 2016, 5:34:50 AM
"
Xendran wrote:
I've actually respecced into the crit version so the next videos will be of that, but the non-crit version will oneshot T16 map mobs with Righteous Fire turned off.

There's not really much difference between maps of any Tier until you start adding in nasty mod combinations on T13+ maps, at which point we lose about as much damage as any high DPS build would, but then we turn on Righteous Fire to mitigate that.

Any chance to see the bosses of higher tier maps and not just one shotting map mobs :P ?
I'll get some for sure with the crit occultist version. Can't really afford to respec my current character to the non-crit but once Essence league ends I have a witch with a respec ready to go that can use the non-crit gear.
I can get some boss kills recorded with the non crit version once i do that.
Last edited by Xendran on Oct 26, 2016, 6:32:32 AM
how about below 6L ?

- Vortex
- Iron Will
- Increased Area / Concentrated Effect
- Chance to Ignite
- Less Duration
- Rapid Decay

and....

If i have enough Critical Strike Chance(above 85 %), Could I change "Chance to Ignite Support" to "Fire Penetration Support" ?
Last edited by odes1xi on Oct 31, 2016, 9:35:23 AM
"
Xendran wrote:
I'll get some for sure with the crit occultist version. Can't really afford to respec my current character to the non-crit but once Essence league ends I have a witch with a respec ready to go that can use the non-crit gear.
I can get some boss kills recorded with the non crit version once i do that.

Do you think Inquisitor crit version is better/worse than occultist? 8% of energy shield regen on consecrated ground (4% from Acendancy + 4% from ZO) + Elemental status immune (RF still works), and most of all: we don't give a shit about mob resists.
Also if we use Hrimmburn gloves, we can freeze+burn all the mobs, which opens up ring slot for Gifts from Above diamond ring.

Edit (9th November): So, despite awesomeness that is Vortex, Fblast is way more popular. So i decided to do some math and here are results.
1) Vortex allows spell damage to scale burn. Since direct multipliers apply same way to Vortex and FB, i will only calculate burn difference.

Case 1: Lowlife + Con.D. means 1.3*1.44=~1.88 more burn damage
Case 2: LowLife + CD + RF means 1.88*1.6=~3x more burn damage

2a)
However, this calculations exclude spelldamage from Tree]/gear.
Spelldamage: ~230% damage applied to burn for Vortex.
Other damage: ~430 damage applied to generic burns.
7.6x/5,3x=~1,43x more burn damage with Vortex.

2b)
LVL 21 Vortex deals 504 to 756 cold damage, avg. 630.
LVL 21 Fblast deals 263 to 394 fire damage, avg. 328.

Case 1: lowlife+CD Vortex deals 1,43*1.88=~2.68x burn, as if our initial damage was 2.68x higher. 1.88*630=~1690
1690/328=~5,14. Wee need at least 5 stacs of FB to get similar burn.

Case 2: lowlife+CD+RF Vortex. 4,29x burn. 630*3=2702. 2700/328=8,24. Wee need at least 8x stacks of FB to get similar burn.

3) Castspeed/mana comparison.
Base mana cost of LVL 21 FB - 10 mana, LVL 21 Vortex 21 mana.
5 stacks: we spend ~2,5x more mana casting LL FB to achieve similar burn to LL Vortex.
8 stacks: we spend ~4x more mana/~1,8 more time casting LLRF FBlast to achieve similar burn to Vortex LL RF.
10 stacks: we spend 5x more mana/~2.2 more time casting LLRF FBlast to surpass lowlife RF Vortex.

4) Ignite chance:
Since ignite chance checks individually for each mob, both Vortex and FB will guarantee ignite on packs.
But since we spend ~2x more time casting FB with the same chance to ignite, if don't ignite boss with FB - we're loosing very big DPS chunk. Vortex, on the other hand, could be casted twice, igniting bosses way more reliably. It is not a big issue if we time our FB release to Shaper of Desolation 100% ignite phase, but it's not always possible.

TLDR:
Vortex advantages:
- lower mana spending
- faster/more mobile gameplay
- easier jewel itemization
- can be used with CoC
FB advantages:
- Bigger top end burns (LL RF versions)
- easier itemization (no need for Pyre/Southbound)
- It is possible to "offscreen" dangerous mobs.
Lowlife RF Flameblast is a good alternative to Vortex, if you have some sick mana gear ready or in general want to micromanage more for greater gains. ;)
Last edited by Khornaar on Nov 9, 2016, 6:57:40 AM
How would you advice leveling this build?
esp at the start of a league when no currency.
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/tb199255/characters

char:chillisicebreaker

need some advice for coc version.

satisfied with the dmg this build offered.but lack of viability right now.
How did you level as Big Dipper build? I have been trying to level, but I keep dying at Merciless Act 3.
Last edited by TheExiledHD on Nov 18, 2016, 5:49:00 PM
Hi, wanted to thank you for the build! Giving it try during the Breach league.

I was wondering, have you evaluated any changes alongside the league release?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info