Why Hybrid Eva/Arm isn't viable - Prefixes!

Hey everyone

Back Story

Spoiler
Recently I've been getting very excited about the Unique belt ZiggyD's been working on with the community. Because of this, I'm currently working on a Reave-Raider who's currently at level 75. I'm leveling as CI, currently sitting at 1.2mil Peak dps and 7k es.

The challenge hybrid (or even pure eva/armor) builds face, CI builds don't.

With CI, all you need is ES. You can get some eva or armor or both, but realistically all you need is moar ES. The great thing about this is that ES%, Hybrid ES% and Flat ES takes up 3 prefix slots. There's no requirement for life, or anything else.

With Hybrid, you need 5 prefix slots!

Flat eva/arm, %, Hybrid % and Life. Even with a pure armor or evasion build, you idealistically require 4. I suppose you could say that CI is like stacking purely life without any armor or evasion (build depending of course). This would be off-set by the fact that it's about as easy to get 5k life, as it is to get about 10K ES.

I'm desperate to play Hybrid, though I'm finding it a juggling at of choosing either DPS or life. I cannot get both to a standard I would consider acceptable. Maybe I'm just a perfectionist?

It would be interesting to see Life become a suffix, though this would destroy the game's balancing.

No one can hear you poop in the forrest.
Last bumped on Jul 28, 2016, 6:47:28 AM
You keep using this word "need". I'm not sure you know what it means.
You can wear some pure armour gear, and some pure evasion gear. That way there are only 4 competing prefixes.

Also ES people definitely benefit from armour or Evasion too.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Jul 27, 2016, 9:09:16 PM
Tbh... There's always the option of not using hybrid armour pieces. Now, for the community Unique specifically, that might not be quite optimal, but the same principle applies; you can either get 500 Armour twice, or 1000 Armour once. Either way, you have 1000 Armour, but the latter is considerably easier.

Additionally, you get a smidge of base Evasion from levels, and you get %Increased Evasion from Dex. On top of that, Grace can easily compensate for having no Evasion on your gloves/boots/helmet (pick two). I'm quite fond of running Armour gear plus Grace on a 'hybrid Armour/Evasion' setup, simply because Armour is much more linear and thus more important to get higher quantities of.

Ar/Ev is entirely viable, and strong to boot.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jul 27, 2016, 9:12:39 PM
You keep using the word "viable". I'm not sure you know what it means.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
This is absolutely false. Hybrid layer of defense is the BEST (against attacks) because of the evasion formula:

The less you get, the more efficient it is.

or

The more you get, the less efficient it is.

it's easy to get 20% evasion against 1100 accuracy: 5000 eva! ( most monsters have lower accuracy, around 700 so you have technically 28% evasion.

There is an "entropy" system, it makes sure that you will avoid hits constantly depending of the ennemy accuracy.

Also it protects a bit against critical strikes (ennemy crit always double check against accuracy to verify if the hit is a crit or not)
So a little amount of evasion is ALWAYS helpfull.

So 5K eva against monsters is atleast 20% less damage taken over a long period of time, against physical, chaos and elemental attacks.

It's especially usefull with ES. It allows the reload of the energy shield when you arent hit.

for the armor, it's trickier, a very low amount (1K) is not usefull, a low amount (5K) grants good benefit against unbuffed monsters but will have very low effect against a 2K+ physical hits. Unless you stack other layers of defense : chaos golem, endurance charges and physical converted to elemental. If you take less physical damage, the armour gets a better efficiency.

So, you will want either decent armour (10K) + a bit of evasion ( even 2K is helpfull) or decent evasion (10K+) plus a bit of armour (2K+) plus one of thoses things: endurance/lightning coil/taste of hate/chaos golem or other forms of physical mitigation.

It's REALLY not difficult to get 10K eva 2K armour + ToH+ Lightning coil and 5500 hp.

For an armour build, a good rare chest plus endurance charge plus grace and some hybrid ar/eva nodes you help you a lot.

energy shield is the best against elemental, but that's all. The downside of hybrid es eva is the lower efficiency against spells but a good hybrid build with
will do great against attacks too.

Es is ... the best because of the unavoidable elemental ( not accuracy based) mechanics of the bosses. It's sad but true.
I will never be good but always I try to improve.
Last edited by Geisalt on Jul 27, 2016, 9:36:01 PM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
You keep using this word "need". I'm not sure you know what it means.

Yep I used the word need 3 times in that post. I guess I have no clue what the word means. Thanks for your objectively valuable input =)

"
Vipermagi wrote:
Tbh... There's always the option of not using hybrid armour pieces. Now, for the community Unique specifically, that might not be quite optimal, but the same principle applies; you can either get 500 Armour twice, or 1000 Armour once. Either way, you have 1000 Armour, but the latter is considerably easier.

Additionally, you get a smidge of base Evasion from levels, and you get %Increased Evasion from Dex. On top of that, Grace can easily compensate for having no Evasion on your gloves/boots/helmet (pick two). I'm quite fond of running Armour gear plus Grace on a 'hybrid Armour/Evasion' setup, simply because Armour is much more linear and thus more important to get higher quantities of.

Ar/Ev is entirely viable, and strong to boot.

Hey

Thanks for your post! I was looking for something to draw attention as that's where you get responses. Your's was excellent and brought things I hadn't considered into light.

Cheers!
"
Geisalt wrote:
This is absolutely false. Hybrid layer of defense is the BEST (against attacks) because of the evasion formula:

The less you get, the more efficient it is.

or

The more you get, the less efficient it is.

it's easy to get 20% evasion against 1100 accuracy: 5000 eva! ( most monsters have lower accuracy, around 700 so you have technically 28% evasion.

There is an "entropy" system, it makes sure that you will avoid hits constantly depending of the ennemy accuracy.

Also it protects a bit against critical strikes (ennemy crit always double check against accuracy to verify if the hit is a crit or not)
So a little amount of evasion is ALWAYS helpfull.

So 5K eva against monsters is atleast 20% less damage taken over a long period of time, against physical, chaos and elemental attacks.

It's especially usefull with ES. It allows the reload of the energy shield when you arent hit.

for the armor, it's trickier, a very low amount (1K) is not usefull, a low amount (5K) grants good benefit against unbuffed monsters but will have very low effect against a 2K+ physical hits. Unless you stack other layers of defense : chaos golem, endurance charges and physical converted to elemental. If you take less physical damage, the armour gets a better efficiency.

So, you will want either decent armour (10K) + a bit of evasion ( even 2K is helpfull) or decent evasion (10K+) plus a bit of armour (2K+) plus one of thoses things: endurance/lightning coil/taste of hate/chaos golem or other forms of physical mitigation.

It's REALLY not difficult to get 10K eva 2K armour + ToH+ Lightning coil and 5500 hp.

For an armour build, a good rare chest plus endurance charge plus grace and some hybrid ar/eva nodes you help you a lot.

energy shield is the best against elemental, but that's all. The downside of hybrid es eva is the lower efficiency against spells but a good hybrid build with
will do great against attacks too.

Es is ... the best because of the unavoidable elemental ( not accuracy based) mechanics of the bosses. It's sad but true.

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm fairly unfamiliar with non-ci builds even though I've played for a long time! I'll definitely try some of the strategies mentioned in your and others' comments.

Thanks again
so like Geisalt mentioned there is few thing to consider here but I am somewhat leaning to the OP

like mentioned by Geisalt small AR is like no AR at all for big hits (easier to get 1 shot)

ele dmg is mitigated through res which is separate mechanic from defenses

if you can have 2x ehp with ES its like having 50% reduction from AR, and in order to get 50% for that big hit you really need to stack that AR

with Eva is just statistics to me... if you run full eva no armor, you will get 1shotted because math.... even if 99.9% chance to evade, there is a chance for hit to land and because you got no AR that will all go through, ultimately killing you.

And if you really worried about that burst dmg, why not use block to do this for you in a first place? you can get max block, with ES and AR

Running any hybrid is handicapping yourself...

ES+AR (lower AR, big dmg negates that AR you got, and since you sacrificed ES to get that lil bit of AR you have less ehp to afford that incoming dmg)

ES+EVA well you just have a less chance of getting one shotted but you know its coming sooner or later

AR+EVA same as ES + EVA if not worse

and even if we talk about non HC, dying at 90+ carries a penalty big enough that even that occasional RIP keeps your xp bar at 0

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info