Newb Question here about staff use with casters

I have done a bit of looking and i cant find one single reason any caster would ever use or roll a rare staff. You might get a +3 staff but the +2 will only affect half of your gems at max

The spell, crit, cast etc rolls are the same as any 1H ... Sire of shards, pledge and a couple other exceptions make the unique item worth using in rare occasions (but never to be OP compared to any disc/COC build ofc)

But why have a rare staff .... the only logical explanation i can think of is if someone was using a kaoms or chest that couldnt have a 6L for the primary skill you would need to staff to do this..

Please provide feedback because this seems like a somewhat wasted item in general but i could be missing something
I got a fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell!
Last bumped on Jul 25, 2016, 10:02:21 AM
Many players like playing wacky characters based on an item they found. You can certainly build a viable caster that uses a 6L rare staff. Would it be "better" to use something else? Probably. It always will be if you choose the item before you build a character to use it. Doesn't take the fun out of it for most.

I agree though... if you're trying to max/min. Most would go with one-hand/shield or one-hand/stat-stic.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Jul 24, 2016, 10:02:24 AM
Some spells or mechanics scale better on level than % inc crit or % inc spell damage

Because "+x levels" is equivalent to More damage, it boosts the base damage. Instead of the % increased pool.

a +3 staff is good, for most spells it's equivalent to a 30% More damage, then it can improve enhance or empower by +1 and other support gems by +1/+3 depending of their tag.

so corrupted empower level 4 + staff = empower 5 = +4 level gem, more or less 40% base damage for most spells.

It's particularly effective for summon raging spirit.

Honestly, if your build doesnt need an unique weapon, a +3 rare staff can be godlike.
I will never be good but always I try to improve.
Last edited by Geisalt on Jul 24, 2016, 10:42:30 AM
^ thanks for the above feedback guys, might try some testing on dmg differences with a +3 if i end up making a glass cannon caster
I got a fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell!
Apart from the benefits of the extra levels that you can get with a +2/+3 staff (which can be huge tbh), I consider using one when I want to have 2 5links or I want to wear a Kaom's heart. Also, there are some skill points from the tree that grant a lot of crit bonusses to staff users.
I do think staff suck in general as they do not provide the best in most builds.
If you are mage and you want to level up, forget about staff.

Once you are on level you are satisfied with and you dont care about dying, take staff.

im literally making a staff character right now.

and no its not quirky.

edit: i'm an attack based build, you said casters. youre correct no1 should use staves
Last edited by maLcious on Jul 24, 2016, 2:37:39 PM
Could be worth it for the Serpent Stance cluster? Or maybe endurance charge on block?

"
maLcious wrote:
im literally making a staff character right now.

and no its not quirky.

edit: i'm an attack based build, you said casters. youre correct no1 should use staves

Also, the OP said *rare* staves.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Jul 24, 2016, 6:05:59 PM
I think the only time i've seen people use rare staff is for SRS build.
"The launch day went quite well with just a few small hotfixes to address minor problems."

Heist League - GGG

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info