Best beginner build?

... Lightning Arrow definitely has worse single-target than tornado shot. Better pack clearing for sure. But worse single target.

The video linked was using headhunter. Just look at the ungodly number of buffs up (flasks as well), including the mods of 6 rare monsters.

Crit Reach Poison Tornado Shot can take down that boss at the same speed with no buffs besides the basic charges up (not even a DPS aura). I can only imagine how fast that thing would die if I had that many buffs up *drool*.

tl;dr it's headhunter that's OP for single-target, not lightning arrow.

The build guide Sarang linked is a different LA build. No headhunter, not updated for Reach (the linked video seemed to be using Reach?)
Last edited by codetaku on Jul 25, 2016, 11:45:57 AM
"
... Lightning Arrow definitely has worse single-target than tornado shot. Better pack clearing for sure. But worse single target.

The video linked was using headhunter. Just look at the ungodly number of buffs up (flasks as well), including the mods of 6 rare monsters.

Crit Reach Poison Tornado Shot can take down that boss at the same speed with no buffs besides the basic charges up (not even a DPS aura). I can only imagine how fast that thing would die if I had that many buffs up *drool*.

The build guide Sarang linked is a different LA build. No headhunter, not updated for Reach (the linked video seemed to be using Reach?)

No, with utilizing Frost Wall, Lightning Arrow does more single-target damage than Tornado Shot. I've tested this myself with my archer between several different arrow skills (I've tried Blast Rain, Puncture, Ice Shot, Lightning Arrow, Tornado Shot, and Split Arrow), and I found Ice Shot and Lightning Arrow to consistently work the best in boss fights.

The reason for this is that, by using the ice wall right beside the enemy and shooting into it, each lightning arrow AoE hits the enemy. This causes bosses to melt.

Headhunter definitely helps the clear speed, but it's Frost Wall that makes bosses disintegrate.
"
Etherfire wrote:
"

Neph has a guide for this, actually.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/811636

Your typical, immobile boss-trivializing fun ^^

I was aware. The guide isn't quite updated, which is why i was asking. Still, i figure that it's probably your boss-pwning lightning arrow pierce build, just with a marauder start.

Personally I'll be trying out reach(once I can afford it) on inquisitor, probably something like your own :D

That is too say if I can afford reach before it gets too expensive. Man I hate starting late in leagues.

I am no longer creating or maintaining build threads and the one linked is not the same but the same concept can be used.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Jul 25, 2016, 1:48:16 PM
"
Wruntjunior wrote:
"

No, with utilizing Frost Wall, Lightning Arrow does more single-target damage than Tornado Shot. I've tested this myself with my archer between several different arrow skills (I've tried Blast Rain, Puncture, Ice Shot, Lightning Arrow, Tornado Shot, and Split Arrow), and I found Ice Shot and Lightning Arrow to consistently work the best in boss fights.

The reason for this is that, by using the ice wall right beside the enemy and shooting into it, each lightning arrow AoE hits the enemy. This causes bosses to melt.

Headhunter definitely helps the clear speed, but it's Frost Wall that makes bosses disintegrate.

I was taking frost wall for granted. I'm not dumb enough to thing that a good LA build will have a boss taking single-target arrow damage from only one arrow. I also, you know, have eyes; I watched the video. I was taking all hits into account.

But (a) because of how shock works (only single-arrow hits count) you wouldn't be shocking a boss that has infinity health, and (b) because you're dealing mostly elemental damage, you can't make use of poison. The end result is that you simply don't get as much DPS as crit poison TS. It's impossible to scale as high. The poison damage is too insane. Tooltips do not tell the whole story, if that's what you're relying on. The fact that poison can stack is just too impossibly good.

If you're claiming that that video wasn't a heavily optimized lightning arrow build, then I have to wonder why someone who can afford headhunter can't afford all-around excellent gear. But I'm telling you that without buffs up, someone who knows how to _aim_ tornado shot (hint: for vaal oversoul you should not be aiming inside of its body), crit poison tornado shot deals more single-target DPS than that.

I can believe that lightning arrow does more single-target DPS against, say, The Goddess (plaza boss), or totems, who can't be cursed even with Cospri's, and therefore can't guarantee that each hit places a poison stack. But against the average map boss? Or Izaro? Or Atziri? No fucking way.
Last edited by codetaku on Jul 25, 2016, 2:07:36 PM
"
SparklingSoap wrote:
I just started playing and I didn't know what to play so i'm asking you guys. What is the best beginner build? Also anybody have some advice for me as a new player?

There are many

Sparker.
Summoner.
Dual flame totems.
Incinerator.
Flame blaster.
Trapper.
Explosive arrow archer.
Earth quaker.

I think dual flame totems is the easiest and best beginner build. Works fine all the way from lvl 3-4 to 90+
Last edited by kompaniet on Jul 25, 2016, 4:59:09 PM
More on-topic than my last response, life-based blade vortex is the best "from nothing" build I've played so far. It's pretty easy for a beginner to play, and can work just as well end-game as it does when you first get the skill.

<Fun elemental skill> Elementalist is also a great option - Elementalist is so powerful, it will make almost any elemental skill good enough to at least get through Merciless.

Bow builds (crit or otherwise) can be really fun and really strong. I can't speak for burning or explosive arrow, as I've played neither, but just about every other bow skill feels pretty good (except Shrapnel Shot, it usually feels a bit lacking).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info