2.3.0 Changes to the High-level Experience Equation

Ice Spear, Freezing Pulse, Fireball, Flame Surge, Lightning Tendrils, Magma Orb

Claws

Equalize Buff all of that please.

Also, can we please get harder content...

Please for the love of god... This game is so fucking easy...

3 Years ago Death and Taxes was 'exp suicide' now it's just farmville like uber lab...

Please make Atziri/Uber Atziri 5 levels higher

Please make Atziri/Uber Atziri items less shit

Please make Mortal Hope less rare... The only difficulty to Uber Atziri currently is getting the pieces... The run itself is a joke.

Make hard and rewarding content.

Just like the council- 3/4 of the items are 1c garbage trash and then you have this 1 really amazing item(the bow). But, like I took my level 70 duelist in there and just facerolled it...
Last edited by VKB on Jun 28, 2016, 1:23:40 AM
The problem all stems from ridiculous AOE ranged skills being top damage dealer in this game.

Want to slow them down? Reign all of this out of control power creep. Or... do whatever. You're making the game YOU'D want to play, after all.
guys really...... these changes are all upside down. The lower teir maps needed to get the shaft and the hi teir maps needed to be untouched. Instead you nerfed the highest teir more than the junk maps...

look at more than just total time to level 100 please... the game isn't actually fun anymore
"
I don't want to sound rude, but for this quote:

"
Chris wrote:
We've found that players who aim for max level enjoy a harder grind to reach this goal. The harder grind also more clearly signals to players who like building alternate characters roughly when to reroll.

How, exactly, do you "find" supporting information such as this?

How do you define "harder" grind?

Mindless spamming Canyon/Gorge/Plat is not a "harder" grind. Should be rephrased to "longer" instead, in my opinion, and those two definitions are very, VERY different. I think you're confusing "drooling and spamming Whirling Blades and doing low maps 24/7 on stream" with "roll Red Maps with 30%+ Pack Size" in this case.

I am disappointed that with this change, it wasn't accompanied by some compensation for map drops. Also the absolute irony in admitting that with patch changes, characters get stronger, but you want to relegate these character to low Red Maps or Yellow Maps. That doesn't make any sense from a game design standpoint at all. I really think this change should have come with the adjustments to end game that are coming next patch, not this one.

Let's be honest, coordinated groups have figured out your game. Whether it's people taking advantage of the Trade API for better deals, Uber Lords, or 24/7 players with Aurabots and slaves to preroll maps/channel currency (or all of the above), what the top 1% does shouldn't fuck over the rest of the player base.

From a business standpoint you obviously cannot share everything here, but for fuck sake I would sign an NDA just to be able to talk to you about this. How could this have been a good idea?

Agreed 100%. I have never attempted to go to level 100 because i mainly solo and I am a casual. But i would love if I wasn't getting screwed by the top 1%. Shoot if the penalty wasn't so bad for solo players I might even attempt to get to 100, but no instead lets screw 99% of player base for the 5 guys who are racing to 100.
"
Chris wrote:
We want to strike a good balance between rewarding progression and a race to 100 that isn't over in ten days each league.
Then you guys should implement Exp fatigue system. The faster the exp a player gain, the more exp penalty he will receive.(and you balance this system around the top players) They still can race within the fatigue system, exp bar still move just slower.

quite a number of MMO implement this trick to stop the no-lifer from leveling 1 character too quick & this system does not punish the more casual players who do not have 14-16hours a day to play the game but still wanted to go max level & have some progression.
"
Then you guys should implement Exp fatigue system. The faster the exp a player gain, the more exp penalty he will receive.(and you balance this system around the top players) They still can race within the fatigue system, exp bar still move just slower.

quite a number of MMO implement this trick to stop the no-lifer from leveling 1 character too quick & this system does not punish the more casual players who do not have 14-16hours a day to play the game but still wanted to go max level & have some progression.

What this guy said.
"
Chris wrote:
The race to level 100 in Path of Exile is not meant to be fast. The upper echelons of player level in Path of Exile are about bragging right more than absolute power. The marginal benefits of the last few passive skill points are low, and there currently aren't any items that require level 97 to equip.

Over time, players have become both better at building characters, better at playing to maximise experience and have more powerful tools at their disposal. The race to 100 gets faster and faster each league.

To compensate for this, we have periodically applied changes to the experience equation to slow down the top players reaching 100. Sometimes we apply changes that intentionally slow a larger band of players down, but this is due to our dissatisfaction with their leveling speed also. As we have seen this league, players are still able to reach high levels rather quickly.

We didn't go into detail about the specifics of the 2.3.0 experience change in the patch notes. This was an oversight. The details are as follows:

We reduced the effective level of endgame areas for the purposes of the experience equation. The below chart lists the monster level of the area, what the level is for the experience penalty before 2.3.0, and then the effective level after 2.3.0. You can see the details of the experience penalty equation on the Path of Exile wiki (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Experience).

Level 70: 70 -> 70
Level 71: 71 -> 70.94
Level 72: 72 -> 71.82
Level 73: 73 -> 72.64
Level 74: 74 -> 73.4
Level 75: 75 -> 74.1
Level 76: 76 -> 74.74
Level 77: 76.9 -> 75.32
Level 78: 77.7 -> 75.84
Level 79: 78.4 -> 76.3
Level 80: 79 -> 76.7
Level 81: 79.5 -> 77.04
Level 82: 79.9 -> 77.32
Level 83: 80.1 -> 77.54
Level 84: 80.2 -> 77.7

We've found that players who aim for max level enjoy a harder grind to reach this goal. The harder grind also more clearly signals to players who like building alternate characters roughly when to reroll.

In the future, we'll release content that has a higher monster level than level 84. This would make the race to 100 even faster. We'll probably apply experience penalties directly to the upper levels themselves rather than continuing to drop the effective area levels for experience. For example, maybe it'll take 50% longer to reach level 100 from level 99, but the experience gain of lower-level players would be unadjusted. This depends a lot on the specific level of content that comes out in future releases. We want to strike a good balance between rewarding progression and a race to 100 that isn't over in ten days each league.

This just makes me never want to play path of exile again .
"
Darkkrows wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
We want to strike a good balance between rewarding progression and a race to 100 that isn't over in ten days each league.

I also second this.
"
Darkkrows wrote:

This right here is the answer.
"
"
Chris wrote:
The race to level 100 in Path of Exile is not meant to be fast. The upper echelons of player level in Path of Exile are about bragging right more than absolute power. The marginal benefits of the last few passive skill points are low, and there currently aren't any items that require level 97 to equip.

Over time, players have become both better at building characters, better at playing to maximise experience and have more powerful tools at their disposal. The race to 100 gets faster and faster each league.

To compensate for this, we have periodically applied changes to the experience equation to slow down the top players reaching 100. Sometimes we apply changes that intentionally slow a larger band of players down, but this is due to our dissatisfaction with their leveling speed also. As we have seen this league, players are still able to reach high levels rather quickly.

We didn't go into detail about the specifics of the 2.3.0 experience change in the patch notes. This was an oversight. The details are as follows:

We reduced the effective level of endgame areas for the purposes of the experience equation. The below chart lists the monster level of the area, what the level is for the experience penalty before 2.3.0, and then the effective level after 2.3.0. You can see the details of the experience penalty equation on the Path of Exile wiki (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Experience).

Level 70: 70 -> 70
Level 71: 71 -> 70.94
Level 72: 72 -> 71.82
Level 73: 73 -> 72.64
Level 74: 74 -> 73.4
Level 75: 75 -> 74.1
Level 76: 76 -> 74.74
Level 77: 76.9 -> 75.32
Level 78: 77.7 -> 75.84
Level 79: 78.4 -> 76.3
Level 80: 79 -> 76.7
Level 81: 79.5 -> 77.04
Level 82: 79.9 -> 77.32
Level 83: 80.1 -> 77.54
Level 84: 80.2 -> 77.7

In the future, we'll release content that has a higher monster level than level 84. This would make the race to 100 even faster. We'll probably apply experience penalties directly to the upper levels themselves rather than continuing to drop the effective area levels for experience. For example, maybe it'll take 50% longer to reach level 100 from level 99, but the experience gain of lower-level players would be unadjusted. This depends a lot on the specific level of content that comes out in future releases. We want to strike a good balance between rewarding progression and a race to 100 that isn't over in ten days each league.

This just makes me never want to play path of exile again .

Same, made to lv98 last league, but this time, I started on the first day of the league as usual, but haven't even reached lv80 yet, the only reason I'm still playing for about 6 hrs a week is because one of my friends is playing it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info