How to best use these gems?

Which ones from this are most powerful on their own (without support skills or with 1-2 at best and without passive skills and gear) ?

Which ones are most rare?

What skills in general are worth Clarity and insanely powerful on their own? Like - mini get rekt button in pocket. Which gems in general are most powerful with all the support they can get but eat all the mana?

What I can do with Vaal gems if I don't use them for combat? Except vendor crafting Vaal orb which craft is more expensive than actual Vaal orb.
Last edited by SunL4D2 on Jun 25, 2016, 9:59:13 AM
Last bumped on Jun 28, 2016, 2:03:34 AM
Vaal Lightning Trap is fantastic for applying shock to enemies in builds that don't normally have enough shock chance.

Vaal Lightning Strike is really good to use against bosses in maps.
That's some cute little info awww :3
thats worth 2 vaal orbs right there!!

personally i only use vaal auras. the vaal skills are very lack luster on their own without heavy support, to which they still dont offer much over normal skills
I like vaal summon skeletons, although I guess it needs a minion build to really destroy bosses.
I only care about the vaal auras-haste, discipline and grace. The rest all contribute too little damage to really deserve sparing a gem slot just for it.
Every Reave build wants a Vaal Reave. It makes your coverage entirely stupid.
Vaal Righteous Fire is an incredibly potent nuke for any build with instant Leech, preferrably CI (much higher base Damage that way). It also kinda works as its own build, if gimmicky and expensive. I think it was pretty popular in the Chaos Conversion meta, but due to Reflect negation it has that doesn't really matter a lot.
Vaal Molten Shell is a build on its own. Not one I've ever messed with, and it was heavily nerfed with Prophecy's release. Dunno what it looks like these days.
Vaal Rain of Arrows is a fairly long-lasting snare that completely nullifies a lot of bosses. Works without any Supports, but Increased Duration really makes it shine. Radius is okay too. I like it, I don't think anyone else does? :P
Vaal Spectral Throw has issues with small spaces and other misc objects. Its unreliability kills it, but when it works, KB + GMP makes a formidable wall that hurts a lot. Bad but fun.
Vaal Burning Arrow completely ruins fools. It explodes on every hit, as well as at the targeted location. GMP Traps are exceedinly powerful against bosses, and GMP Pierce will erase packs and instantaneously destroy you against reflect.
Vaal Storm Call is a really nice Damage support. 4L with LPen, Echo and something like Crit Chance or whatever. Mostly important if your Skill of choice isn't the best against bosses; Arc for example.

Lightning Trap/Strike and the auras Vaal Grace/Haste/Discipline, as covered by other people.

I'm somewhat generous towards Vaal Skills though.
Nice write up Vipermagi, very helpful!

If you have the spare spot, Vaal Lightning Trap is a good boss assist thanks to the shocking ground it leaves behind.

For certain of my more squishy characters, particularly witches, I'm a huge fan of Vaal Summon Skeletons. Not so much for the damage but mostly for the distraction. Back when Dominus runs were a thing I could run up to his second form, launch VSS and then burn him down with whatever my usual skill was and he would never even spare me a though. Glorious :)
I've been running a Flameblaster, and having Vaal Flameblast makes a big difference to hard rares and bosses. If I can, I want to run it in a second 5l for boss killing specifically.

I do also have a Double Strike character, and running Vaal Double Strike is INSANE for the "actual" melee build style. I dare say it's a handy single target boost to Reave and Flicker Strike style builds as well.

- Sheepster
Thanks for the answers guys.

Specially, Vipermagi. That's some interesting specific in-depth info about Vaal gems. We need more people like you!

I love Vaal Rain of Arrows too :3

So basically most Vaal skill gems will shine like a star with proper suppoet?

Always forget what is KB...Also, seen video where guy killed 11 Bosses with Vaal Burning Arrow, with traps, gmp support it's just insane. Probably still insane...I need special build / gear to destroy toughest bosses with Vaal BA like this or any phys. ranger will do ?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info