Sound Dims when NPC Talks

Whenever an NPC talks such as Daresso's speech or my character saying he's out of mana, the rest of the game gets ridiculously quiet. This makes it incredibly hard to hear my loot filter or abilities coming at me. Is there a way to fix this or turn off this "feature"? I have reverb turned off and this didn't happen pre-prophecy.
Last edited by RedxFrost on Jun 4, 2016, 3:03:54 PM
Last bumped on Jun 29, 2016, 10:34:32 AM
I have the same problem,and Whenever i crit with split arrow the sound stop for a short time like my jack isn't all the way in.Checked my hardware , everything is fine,no other programs have problems , and before patch 2.3 had no problems.turned off reverb fixed the issue for like 5 minutes then it came back.I checked on google and it seems I'm not the only one with this problem.Some people lose their sound completely and have to restart the service.https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/4mevnz/sound_crashes_completely/.The crit sounds also sound different from last patch.
Been having this problem as well, haven't seen much about it and still ongoing. Started with the sound engine "upgrade." Any fixes?
It's called Audio Ducking (dialog quieting other sounds) and is currently an intended feature. it's also likely that v2.3.1 (or a v2.3.1 hotfix) will include various fixes to the audio engine to fix instances where the audio breaks/becomes completely silenced amongst other issues.

Relevant topics:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1669008
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1683055
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Jun 20, 2016, 1:56:45 AM
"
It's called Audio Ducking (dialog quieting other sounds) and is currently an intended feature. it's also likely that v2.3.1 (or a v2.3.1 hotfix) will include various fixes to the audio engine to fix instances where the audio breaks/becomes completely silenced amongst other issues.

Relevant topics:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1669008
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1683055

Thanks, it is completely awful as is, hopefully they remove/fix the huge disparity in volume.
I, too, think that it's incredible annoying. Who'd seriously prefer to hear mana/inventory/"yay, I killed a rare"/etc notifications for the 10000th time instead of what's actually going on in battle? I hope that it'll become optional at least in the future.
I think this is great when it's appropriate. When I touch something that starts spouting off neat bits of lore, I want to hear the lore. Lowering the volume on everything else is good here. When my character is saying the same thing I've heard more times than I care to, like telling me I can't use Enduring Cry twice when I use it once for some reason (please fix this!), it's super annoying.

Make this happen when it's appropriate. Don't make this happen when it's not appropriate. What we have right now is clearly very wrong.
So what I'm getting here is the ducking is good in some places, apart from when it's repetitive character dialogue? Is having the ability to turn off incidental character dialogue something people would like to have?

I have made it so loot filter sounds are not effected by ducking now, hopefully that helps some.
The audio guy.
"
Andrew_GGG wrote:
So what I'm getting here is the ducking is good in some places, apart from when it's repetitive character dialogue? Is having the ability to turn off incidental character dialogue something people would like to have?

I have made it so loot filter sounds are not effected by ducking now, hopefully that helps some.

If you do, please separate the once/zone flavor comments from the repetitive out of mana/inventory full/etc statements.
Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man with a wise brow and pulseless heart, weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not rather the genius of history like an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
"
Andrew_GGG wrote:
Is having the ability to turn off incidental character dialogue something people would like to have?

That would be amazing to have as an option, especially if we could uncheck specific ones (on some builds out of mana spam is just brutal), but it wouldn't really fix the problem. I think not having ducking on it is still needed.

For the most part I'm fine with the incidental dialogue and wouldn't want to disable it. What I think is more important than an option to disable it is setting some kind of timer so skills like Enduring Cry don't think you're using them twice every time you use them once. I don't need character dialogue telling me I can't use Enduring Cry half the times I use Enduring Cry.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info